Who has WD 2tb Green in stock?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone know where I can pickup a WD Green 2tb drive? Newegg just stays out of stock on it.

Nope. You're probably best filling out the auto-confirmation email at ZZF / Newegg, so they email you when they come in.

Most of the resellers are getting a shipment in on the 5th of March.

Unsure on the size of the shipment they are receiving though.

Greg

Assuming these are back in stock and remain so this week, how long do you guys think it will be before the price dips below $200?

I give it at least 2 months before the price dips, below that mark. I'm going to assume Seagate will release their 2 tb drive before this happens and once that happens the price should quickly go down to the 200$ mark or lower. Although if Seagate's 1.5 tb drive keep dipping below 100$ that might happen alot sooner.

why wouldnt you, I have 4 seagate drives, and they are great. samsung on the other end, nothing but trouble, I dont see much difference in seagate and wd really :S

Not many stores have these so their prices are heavily bloated to rack up some extra bucks.

I think this is the month where we will see these things flood in, which is good for me as I prepare the next upgrade :D

I grabbed one. No time to wait as I am sitting with no backups which makes me nervous. I lost data one time in my life years back... I hope to never do that again. I had to sell my my backup drives to get this 2tb. Hope this works in an Antec MX-1 enclosure!

They'll be available soon, but they'll be expensive for awhile. Maybe you have the cash to burn. If you have HDD slots, get a couple 1TB drives. Prices on 1TB drives have been dropping the last two weeks on both Amazon and Newegg, and probably other retailers.

Stop this.

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

These 2TB drives are great for us who want a USB backup drive. Multiple 1TB drives doesn't quite cut it. Otherwise, I agree with all the people who say you should buy 1TB drives for a PC/Server at the better price.

These 2TB drives are great for us who want a USB backup drive. Multiple 1TB drives doesn't quite cut it. Otherwise, I agree with all the people who say you should buy 1TB drives for a PC/Server at the better price.

When you factor in port density and cost per port, it makes no sense to go the 1TB route. 8x2TB is a drop-in upgrade for my current fileserver. Cost is around $2100.

In order for me to upgrade to 16x1TB, I would have to get a new controller, case, possibly PSU. It would cost me ~$3200(not including new PSU) for a 16x1TB setup.

No thanks, if I am going to go that route, I'll get a hell of a lot more than 16TB. I would go for 24x2TB if I was going to be making a purchase like that(Which I very may well do in another year).

I got the 2tb drive in. Works great in the MX-1. Actually works better then the Seagate 1.5tb drive I had tried in it a few weeks ago. Zero problems. What really amazes me as newegg packaged this drive REALLY well. It was completely sealed in bubble wrap and then paper all around. Probably the best package job I have seen from them. Most of the ones I get I wonder half the time if they are going to work or not. The speed on the drive isnt as bad as some say. I'm using eSATA and moving files over at ~85mb/s which of course is far better then USB.

When you factor in port density and cost per port, it makes no sense to go the 1TB route. 8x2TB is a drop-in upgrade for my current fileserver. Cost is around $2100.

In order for me to upgrade to 16x1TB, I would have to get a new controller, case, possibly PSU. It would cost me ~$3200(not including new PSU) for a 16x1TB setup.

No thanks, if I am going to go that route, I'll get a hell of a lot more than 16TB. I would go for 24x2TB if I was going to be making a purchase like that(Which I very may well do in another year).
I think the best value is at 1.5TB. Consider the following
1.5TB drive ~ $100 ($83 if you got the dell deal)
2TB drive $300

You can build a server with a 10 disk capacity similar to my WHS easily for $500, and a lot cheaper if you watch for deals.

So for 1.5TB drives
Server: 2 x $500 = $1000
Drives: 20 * $100 = $2000
Total: $3000
Capacity: 30TB

For 2TB drives
Server: $500
Drives: 10 * $300 = $3000
Total: $3500
Capacity: 20TB

Now of course some prefer to have everything in one system, but at the current premium for 2TB drives it's much less expensive to go with multiple systems and 1.5TB drives.

For external enclosures, it's a complete no brainer.

1.5TB
Enclosure: 2 * $50 = $100
Drives: 2 * $150 = $200
Total: $300
Capacity: 3TB

2TB
Enclosure: $50
Drives: $300
Total: $350
Capacity: 2TB

There are even dual enclosures if you want both drives together.

I agree.. best bang for the buck is a 1.5tb drive. Not sure why the one I had would not run correctly in the MX-1 enclosure when Antec's site says it does support the 1.5tb drive. It did have the SD17 firmware which might have been part of the problem. The 2tb ran perfect and hasn't gotten over 33C after copying over 200 gigs so far. The whole external setup is so quiet I can barely tell its on. I am happy with the purchase despite its price. The Green drives are known to be dependable so hopefully this one is also.

Too bad the 1.5's are terrible... that's the only reason you can get them for the same price as 1TB's...

I had one with good firmware and it lasted a week after we filled it up to about ~1TB...

And then bought 3 x 1TB Caviar Black's after that and have had zero issues...

This is the first drive I've personally had die on me in 10+ years... I have an old IBM 10GB drive that was still working, I think it had 1 reallocated sector... but it still ran, and a 50GB SCSI Seagate that I paid $1,000 for when it came out.

The amount of people having issues with it is obvious there's something wrong on seagate's end... :(

Too bad the 1.5's are terrible... that's the only reason you can get them for the same price as 1TB's...

I had one with good firmware and it lasted a week after we filled it up to about ~1TB...

And then bought 3 x 1TB Caviar Black's after that and have had zero issues...

This is the first drive I've personally had die on me in 10+ years... I have an old IBM 10GB drive that was still working, I think it had 1 reallocated sector... but it still ran, and a 50GB SCSI Seagate that I paid $1,000 for when it came out.

The amount of people having issues with it is obvious there's something wrong on seagate's end... :(

I have two 1.5's in my machine. Not a single issue with these. One was an SD17 I flashed to SD1B. The other was a newer firmware that didnt need to be updated. The third I had for a couple weeks as a loaner to copy over some data. Worked fine in my machine but didn't like my external. I just loaded another one into a buddies media box last month and he is still going strong. From what I understand its not a big problem with them dieing its hangup issues and RAID issues. Most are killing thiers with the bad SD1A flash that was available for a while. Ive had one of them since the first release date that has been a champ. To be honest I trust no single drive. I backup everything.

Still, I don't think there's been any drive (or drive series) in recent history with this many reported failures/problems.

This is the FIRST time Seagate has ever released a firmware update to the public... atleast that's what I recall... and the firmware updates aren't even fixing the problem some of the time... =(

Shitty part is I have 10 of the 7200.11 1TB's in my system, luckily they've been good and I updated the firmware for good measure and didn't lose any of them. :)

Still, I don't think there's been any drive (or drive series) in recent history with this many reported failures/problems.

This is the FIRST time Seagate has ever released a firmware update to the public... atleast that's what I recall... and the firmware updates aren't even fixing the problem some of the time... =(

Shitty part is I have 10 of the 7200.11 1TB's in my system, luckily they've been good and I updated the firmware for good measure and didn't lose any of them. :)

I had a few of the 750.11 and did the firmware updates on those also. No problems. Atleast they are standing behind their product and delivering new drives and the firmwares that are fixing some of the issues Ive read in other posts. Knock on wood mine are going strong but now i have my trust 2tb WD Green backing them up so unless it all gets zapped at once I think im good. Behind a nice surge protector and APC backup system.

When you factor in port density and cost per port, it makes no sense to go the 1TB route.

Sure it does. Who said it made sense for somebody who wanted 8 drives?

If you only wanted 2TB of disk space, it makes perfect sense.

oh nice I didnt know they had planned on one... 175$ for one is pricey when the seagates are 130$.
I'd be willing to pay that premium for the substantially decreased likelihood that I'm getting a time bomb. I really wanted to like the Seagate, alas it's not meant to be.

I'd be willing to pay that premium for the substantially decreased likelihood that I'm getting a time bomb. I really wanted to like the Seagate, alas it's not meant to be.

Ditto, those are cheap for a VERY good reason.

Ditto, those are cheap for a VERY good reason.

Guess I'm lucky which is odd because I usually get the shit that breaks. Whats the current issue with the 1.5tb seagates? Last I read it was stuttering problems and then ppl flashing to the SD1A and the firmware was bricking the drive. I know the SD1B resolved the bricking issue. I have that one one of my drives but it was giving me no problems before the flash.

Guess I'm lucky which is odd because I usually get the shit that breaks. Whats the current issue with the 1.5tb seagates? Last I read it was stuttering problems and then ppl flashing to the SD1A and the firmware was bricking the drive. I know the SD1B resolved the bricking issue. I have that one one of my drives but it was giving me no problems before the flash.

Depending on how fast the stock at your local gets replaced there are still an unknown amount of faulty ones out there. Buying any at this point is still like playing russian roulette.

Back