Who is excited for VIIV?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
I certainly am! Small little PC's with dual-core, 7.1 surround sound AND cable card slots!

I can't wait! And I know that Shuttle will make something of this!

I keep seeing the logo, but I personally have no clue what the hell VIIV is...

robberbaron said:
What is special about VIIV that you can't build right now?
I have no idea, but I know I need it!! :p

its desktop marketing jargon. similar to centrino, only for entertainment pcs instead of mobility. at least a 945 chipset and a 64bit dual core processor are necessary probably more. nothing important at all or anything to be excited about. Only a marketing monkier

pre1014 said:
its desktop marketing jargon. similar to centrino, only for entertainment pcs instead of mobility. at least a 945 chipset and a 64bit dual core processor are necessary probably more. nothing important at all or anything to be excited about. Only a marketing monkier
At least Centrino was something that couldn't be put together a year before its launch.

VIIV is going to bring instant on to the desktop as I understand it. Anyone with that now let me know.

Apollo686 said:
VIIV is going to bring instant on to the desktop as I understand it. Anyone with that now let me know.

Is that just a slightly faster form of hibernation?

I leave my computer on constantly, so I'm fine in that regard.

there's not even a spec or at least a list of items that would comprise a ViiV platform except that everything on the platform is made by Intel or one of its partners.

Ok, let me explain to everybody what ViiV means.
ViiV is a name that describes computers that meet the ViiV standard.
The ViiV standard requires dual core processing, remote control operation, gigabit ethernet controller ,wireless networking and run Windows Media Center. Most ViiV based computers will function as DVRs and an additional TV card. ViiV computers will feature something called Quick Resume, which allows the computer to start up in a few seconds.

In short, it is a term in which a consumer can easily recognize Media Center computers, just as they would be able to recognize a Centrino computer as a Pentium M lappy with 802.11b/g wifi. Microsoft and Intel teamed up to do this so they can push the Media Center sails. Brilliant! I just built a computer but if anyone in my family needs a Media Center PC I will tell them they can not go wrong with ViiV.

danman said:
Execpt you have to use crappy Intel video.

Ummm.... Intel video is actually pretty good right now. Better than most users need or want. I don't understand how most of the people here compare a product/marketing to ONLY themselves. Don't you guys realize that Intel DOES NOT give a shit about your/my part of the market? They make their HUGE marketshare by selling to the everyday consumer and that everyday consumer doesn't want to build a system, overclock, doesn't give a shit about the latest e-penis measuring benchmark, etc. The second that the "enthusist market" is 70% of intels sales.... you'll see things change. Till then.... keep reading your benchmark and pray your favorite "gamers" company doesn't go under. :D

Poncho said:
Ummm.... Intel video is actually pretty good right now. Better than most users need or want.
Last I heard their newest IGP couldn't run MCE which needs a decent DX9 level card, even a 5200 can run MCE. Thats pretty crappy in my book.

I'll decide if I'm excited about VIIV when I figure out what the hell it's offering, theres alot of support for it but it seems like none of it is actual. Alot of "we're going to offer VIIV content" or "we're going to optimize our system for VIIV."

So far it's alot of "nothing that I can't build now."

Poncho said:
Ummm.... Intel video is actually pretty good right now. Better than most users need or want. I don't understand how most of the people here compare a product/marketing to ONLY themselves. Don't you guys realize that Intel DOES NOT give a shit about your/my part of the market? They make their HUGE marketshare by selling to the everyday consumer and that everyday consumer doesn't want to build a system, overclock, doesn't give a shit about the latest e-penis measuring benchmark, etc. The second that the "enthusist market" is 70% of intels sales.... you'll see things change. Till then.... keep reading your benchmark and pray your favorite "gamers" company doesn't go under. :D

the day intel igp can play any game decently :p

snackcakeofd00m said:
Ok, let me explain to everybody what ViiV means.
ViiV is a name that describes computers that meet the ViiV standard.
The ViiV standard requires dual core processing, remote control operation, gigabit ethernet controller ,wireless networking and run Windows Media Center. Most ViiV based computers will function as DVRs and an additional TV card. ViiV computers will feature something called Quick Resume, which allows the computer to start up in a few seconds.

In short, it is a term in which a consumer can easily recognize Media Center computers, just as they would be able to recognize a Centrino computer as a Pentium M lappy with 802.11b/g wifi. Microsoft and Intel teamed up to do this so they can push the Media Center sails. Brilliant! I just built a computer but if anyone in my family needs a Media Center PC I will tell them they can not go wrong with ViiV.
that means were going to have another 'Centrino Disaster.' all of the dumb consumers will assume that a ViiV computer uses a ViiV CPU, just as many people thought Centrino notebooks had a Centrino CPU.

people are gonna ask me about the new ViiV computers, then im gonna have to spend the next 15 mins explaining 'no, it doesnt use an Intel ViiV processor. ViiV simply means it has a dual core processor, remote control, gigabit ethernet, wireless networking, and MCE.' then ill have to spend another 30 mins explaining WTF i just told them...

all of the people who ask me about these new 'ViiV Computers' are going to cause me to go postal...

/loads shotgun
*click*
bring em on...

TSS Modder said:
that means were going to have another 'Centrino Disaster.' all of the dumb consumers will assume that a ViiV computer uses a ViiV CPU, just as many people thought Centrino notebooks had a Centrino CPU.

people are gonna ask me about the new ViiV computers, then im gonna have to spend the next 15 mins explaining 'no, it doesnt use an Intel ViiV processor. ViiV simply means it has a dual core processor, remote control, gigabit ethernet, wireless networking, and MCE.' then ill have to spend another 30 mins explaining WTF i just told them...

all of the people who ask me about these new 'ViiV Computers' are going to cause me to go postal...

/loads shotgun
*click*
bring em on...

Oh I hear you man...I absolutely hated that but I do agree with Intel for making these names. It is a lot eaiser for consumers to purchase a computer with platform names like this. It would be good fi stores put up signs that explain what each term means. If your Average Joe and you see a sign that reads: Centrino is a laptop....ViiV is a media center..... That would make it way easier for people to buy what they need. Walk in to store, read sign, look for sticker, purchase. Average Joe has computer! Now Average Joe doesnt have to bother me, YEAH!

CrimandEvil said:
Last I heard their newest IGP couldn't run MCE which needs a decent DX9 level card, even a 5200 can run MCE. Thats pretty crappy in my book.

Well... considering I am running a 945 board with on board graphics on my media center PC, running MCE, I would consider your "opinion" flawed. Might want to find a new source for your info.

Poncho said:
Well... considering I am running a 945 board with on board graphics on my media center PC, running MCE, I would consider your "opinion" flawed. Might want to find a new source for your info.
It was their component out that didn't work. Specifically the 915G chipset's component out then again with a fast enough CPU crappy unsupported IGPs and video cards can be used in MCE.

CrimandEvil said:
It was their component out that didn't work.
The Average Joe doesn't use component out...but that's irrelevent since TSS took care of the Average Joes already :D

Back