Who is Gaming on a BenQ FP241W?

Burnout01

Limp Gawd
Anyone using this monitor for gaming? I received one last night and I'm not to crazy about the gaming performance. Games seem to have a blur to them. It almost feels like it's slow to draw the picture. I keep reading reviews of people saying this monitor is great for gaming. I'm wondering if there is some configuring I need to do or if that is the way LCD's are. I had a NEC 22" CRT that I could run everything except Crysis at 1600 x 1200 with full detail. Now I'm trying turn everything down trying to get the games to run smoother. I love this monitor for everything else.
What Video Modes do you use? I'm currently using the rgb mode.

Thanks for any help.

I have one but dont use it for gaming. What resolution are you running when you game? Is it higher than the crt you were using, because if it is that would explain the FPS drop (i'm assuming this since you need to drop detail to get it to run smooth).

all lcd's have blur to some point, and arent that good for first person shooters.

just the way they are.

I've tried running at a lower res and it still doesn't seem to help. Thanks for the info.

Just as a follow up for anyone that comes across this thread. Turning on Vsync fixed my problem. I'm not sure if it was suppose to be on or not as this is my first LCD to game on.

vsync was it eh? no ghosting/banding or much lag now?

Yes, VSync will reduce tearing. If Triple Buffering is available, you may want to try turning that on as well. Too bad these options are not available on console games.

vsync was the problem, eh? no ghosting/banding or much lag now?

It made a world of difference. I haven't noticed any ghosting that would cause a problem while I was testing TF2, BF2, COD4, and UT3. My Dad has the 2407WFP and I would say the BenQ is just as good if not better then it.

Coming from a CRT you'd definitely notice a difference. Although this BenQ I have is pretty darn good even compared to my last LCD. Which was the 2ms 19" BenQ HDMI LCD.

Coming from a CRT you'd definitely notice a difference. Although this BenQ I have is pretty darn good even compared to my last LCD. Which was the 2ms 19" BenQ HDMI LCD.

its settled then, this will be my next lcd, unless the LG or the Doublesight comparable models have something that is just so much better that i should go with one of those two. I figure the cost is close enough to the same, that its not too bad of a deal, and the reviews in this thread seem overall favorable if you can get the latest firmware version. Gaming and color accuracy seem to be about the best for a monitor of this panel type and price range.

I played BF 1942 on it last night and did not notice any banding, tearing or ghosting. This game however is not meant to be played on a wide screen monitor so I just used the 1:1 setting and had black bars on the sides but I did not mind.

I think this is a very good monitor to game on however if you are playing for money or are a world ranked gaming profession I would go with a high end CRT if you can still find one. I love this monitor but I am still keeping my two Viewsonic 19" P95f+ (one of the nicest CRTs made) in case I want to do some super twitch gaming.

Just as a follow up for anyone that comes across this thread. Turning on Vsync fixed my problem. I'm not sure if it was suppose to be on or not as this is my first LCD to game on.
FYI, Vsync synchronizes your frame rate to the refresh rate of your display and videocard. 60hz for that BenQ, and most, but not all LCDs.

That means games will be capped at 60fps. And it's lining up each frame with each refresh of the display, so there's no chance for partial frames to be displayed, thus tearing.

However; if you play a game where you cannot maintain 60fps, in order to maintain perfect sync it will drop you all the way back to 30 fps. Still usually playable and smooth, but noticeable slower, and in some games you may see some mouse lag occur.

If FPS gets even worse, it'll drop you to the next even increment of 15fps. Which is not playable IMO.

So watch out for that. You can gain a lot of fps in a game like Oblivion. If your system can't maintain 30, but somewhere around 25fps. Vsync will drop you back to a horrible 15fps. Where turning it off will relax the syncing and you'll run at around 25fps. Which is acceptable for some single player games.

Vsync doesn't cause blur, but it causes artifacts someone might misinterpret as such. Basically, due to the way an LCD works you pretty much always want vsync on. With a CRT, it is more up to you, it works fine with vsync, but works fine without.

I notices a similar thing. I didn't tend to use vsync on my CRT since I didn't really notice the teaing, perhaps because the CRT was running at 120Hz. However with the LCD I really noticed and it really did feel like lag. Now with vsync on it works great.

And yes, the FP241W is what I use and I game all the time on it. It is great.

Yes, BenQ FP241W (mine is FP241WZ) is great for gaming. I mainly play PC games, but I also tried PS3 and XBOX 360 Halo 3 edition consoles via DVI. No ghosting or blurring even on fast action games. Just remember to turn on V-sync on PC games if frame rates of the games are too high that appeared to cause tearings.

Be sure to get the September 07 built of FP241W then HDMI, VGA, component overscan problems are resolved.

Thanks for your input guys. Like I said, this is my first LCD for home use and didn't realize that vsync was needed for gaming. I was thinking that the higher resolution was needing more resources and I started turning the graphics down trying to get it to run smooth.

Also, my brother was impressed enough to order one. I'm happy with this monitor.

The P95f+ was an aweful and cheap monitor... trading .24dp for .25-27 from earlier P9X's was a poor choice on Viewsonic's part.

On the other hand, I'll have a hard time choosing between the Benq and spending slightly more on a 245T- if you can find the Sammy in stock.

Back