Who is silly enough to buy the 7900GTX??

MelchiorZ

Weaksauce
Let me get this straight... XFX and eVGA (and probably others too), are clocking their 7900GT to basically 7900GTX speeds, and selling them for about $350.... or you can buy a lesser clocked (maybe 520/1500 or something for $300 ish and overclock it to GTX speeds).

And both cards have 24 pipes... soo.... am I missing something here??

only difference is the 512mb of memory and the gpu/mem tend to clock a bit higher on the gtx

I did it cause of the extra mem mostly.

Not sure how much more $$ 256+ more of ram would cost, but that and the fact that it's clocked higher from factory.

Oh and I didnt care about the pricetag, and Im really NOT regreting the purchase ;)

I'll also raise the point that anyone silly enough to waste all that money on a video card that doesn''t improve the gameplay of their games is silly. :D

MelchiorZ said:
Ahh yes, extra Ram, how stupid of me to forget :)

only prob i have is dont know that the extra 256 is actually being used in any games today, and the fact that dx10 is around the corner at some point.
plus theres that setting in bios for memory in case card runs out i believe.

but im sure the cards themselves are NOICE.

im looking to stray from ati to go SLI with 7800/7900 model.

extra ram + there are no guaranteed overclocks + some people dont like to take the chance overclocking + to some people $1000 is not a lot of money (not talking about me here.... just answering your question why some people would go with the card)

No doubt in my mind that games like UT2007 will surely utilize that extra RAM...

pibrahim said:
No doubt in my mind that games like UT2007 will surely utilize that extra RAM...

But chances are you are going to upgrade 2-3 more times before it comes out lol..

More RAM, higher clocks, not worried about Direct X 10 (more worried about games I will play over the next 12 months than games that will come out this time next year or later).

general said:
I'll also raise the point that anyone silly enough to waste all that money on a video card that doesn''t improve the gameplay of their games is silly. :D

Perhaps at the moment it's overkill, but look at the recent announcement and technology demonstration of physics acceleration ala the GPU by way of the SM3.0 shaders.

Now cards that may only have a small margin over the next model down will have physics processing going on in the background with perhaps little FPS hit? Shhhveeeeeette (whistle and sweet all in one ;) )

aperture size in bios is what i was talking about forgot name, but yea i guess it will help in ut2007.(im in process of upgrading and maybe switching teams, ati to nvidia for sli.)

other than dx10, also the Ageia physics cards will support ut2007
http://www.ageia.com/

Digital Viper-X- said:
whos silly enough to buy anything higher then a 3200+ or x2 3800+ i mean u can always OC it... =p

ummmmmm.... maybe people who would rather not worry about overclocking?

dwilson041781 said:
aperture size in bios is what i was talking about forgot name, but yea i guess it will help in ut2007.(im in process of upgrading and maybe switching teams, ati to nvidia for sli.)

other than dx10, also the Ageia physics cards will support ut2007
http://www.ageia.com/

That Ageia card is like the sighting of a (To quote Lewis Black) "Rare White Elk"

If and when the fracking thing decides to poke his head out of a shell, kinda like the turlte poop.

Anthony

Chumbuh1 said:
ummmmmm.... maybe people who would rather not worry about overclocking?

lol thats my point not everyone likes to OC although financially its probably a better decision

The Cobra said:
That Ageia card is like the sighting of a (To quote Lewis Black) "Rare White Elk"

If and when the fracking thing decides to poke his head out of a shell, kinda like the turlte poop.

Anthony

its got huge support and financial backing from game companys etc...its a matter of time, but love the quote, Lewis black is the man, i love when he does the finger thing, u know something goods fixing to come out of his mouth.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lewis_Black
When they (N'Sync and Aerosmith) played, it wasn't music. It was the sound of chaos. I knew it was the sound of chaos because you could hear pigs being slaughtered. Women were wailing and men were gnashing their teeth, and there were sounds so hideous I cannot describe them to you, or you would flee from the room.

Digital Viper-X- said:
lol thats my point not everyone likes to OC although financially its probably a better decision

It's not always a better financial position, only when you have time to waste. For me, time is money, I dont' want to toy around with chips trying to get that golden batch nor do I want to sit there and bumping up clocks one at a time when I can enjoy the games I payed to play in my spare time.

People dont uderstand, they want to save money so they get the cheaper version and oc it, however, to oc it they need a lot better hardware which costs more money and much better cooling which also adds to the cost and time. Watercooling isn't cheap either, so that you can tack onto the costs... where as I'd buy one nice piece of hardware and enjoy it from the get go, I don't need to refill my water, nor do I need to worry about leaks, overheating, hardware failure, or anything... and I got the luxury of having the highest end component and the bragging rights for not really much more. And the residual value is much better. Oh yea, and the time you wasted I got the fun of playing games and using my computer... and yet I'll still pwn.

Its all on how you look at it.

Ockie said:
It's not always a better financial position, only when you have time to waste. For me, time is money, I dont' want to toy around with chips trying to get that golden batch nor do I want to sit there and bumping up clocks one at a time when I can enjoy the games I payed to play in my spare time.

People dont uderstand, they want to save money so they get the cheaper version and oc it, however, to oc it they need a lot better hardware which costs more money and much better cooling which also adds to the cost and time. Watercooling isn't cheap either, so that you can tack onto the costs... where as I'd buy one nice piece of hardware and enjoy it from the get go, I don't need to refill my water, nor do I need to worry about leaks, overheating, hardware failure, or anything... and I got the luxury of having the highest end component and the bragging rights for not really much more. And the residual value is much better. Oh yea, and the time you wasted I got the fun of playing games and using my computer... and yet I'll still pwn.

thats exactly my point

my first post was sarcastic

Normally, i have been buying the GT versions and just OCing them. I did it with the 6800GT which turned out being as fast as the Ultra. I did it with the 7800GT and it ended up being just as fast but, it had less pipes. I said heck with it all this time and just went for the gold and wanted to be done with it. It's warranted at that speed.

The reason I said heck with it and went for the gold though? All the reviews of the 7900GT that did overclocking, was only getting around 570 or so and the GTX gets around 690 top. That's like 100mhz difference. I didn't see the GTs being able to OC ot 670+.

Then add in the extra 256MB. I know right now nothing really pushes it much.

Then I wanted this last card purchase to last me because it may be my last purchase for awhile. Maybe a couple of years.

MelchiorZ said:
Let me get this straight... XFX and eVGA (and probably others too), are clocking their 7900GT to basically 7900GTX speeds, and selling them for about $350.... or you can buy a lesser clocked (maybe 520/1500 or something for $300 ish and overclock it to GTX speeds).

yea 256mb of ram will make a difference from now on.

And who says you can't overclock the GTX?

Ockie said:

Time you wasted? :confused: OCing and installing WCing is half the fun. And if you have to worry about leaks in WCing your WCing just sucks. BTW, I wouldn't buy a GT. I'd just get the GTX, stick a waterblock on it, and OC that! Watercooling is SO much quieter too. I love it! The most noise comes from my pump vibrating my case. If I cared that much I could mod it so that doesn't happen, but it works now, so who cares.

Russ said:
Time you wasted? :confused: OCing and installing WCing is half the fun. And if you have to worry about leaks in WCing your WCing just sucks. BTW, I wouldn't buy a GT. I'd just get the GTX, stick a waterblock on it, and OC that! Watercooling is SO much quieter too. I love it! The most noise comes from my pump vibrating my case. If I cared that much I could mod it so that doesn't happen, but it works now, so who cares.

It depends your overall objective and outcome of the build. If you want to buy a new video card to use with your new graphics software or games, then you consider watercooling setup a waste of resources. If you want to build a machine for eye candy and general enthusiast use, then it's worth it. I like to watercool and crap, don't get me wrong, but my games also have a priority here and so does having a good warranty. Personally, I have about 5 hours a week to spend with my computer, sometimes I do have the weekend if I do attend a LAN, however, thats all i get... so if you calculated the time to OC and figure out how to make it fast to "save that $200" then it's not worth it to me.

Just a little FYI, I've yet to see a awesome gamer who uses a watercooled rig. It's kinda like cars, you have some who just wants muscle to do 1/4's in, some wants reliability, some wants just pure speed, some wants agility... to each his own. Depends on your objectives.

Ockie said:

Man you sound exactly like me!! I used to OC and do all the min/max stuff with hardware but I am in 100% agreement with you now. It's just not worth my time anymore. I don't have much spare time as it is (married with 3 kids) so I'd rather spend my free time gaming instead of screwing around with a new heatsink trying to eek out another 5fps. When I come home I want my PC to work with a minimum of hassle.

Now I do understand how this is a hobby for some people and part of the enjoyment for them. More power to you guys because you are the ones that push the industry forward and it's fun stuff to look at and read about. The amount of effort and resources some of you guys go through just to get your PC's working at certain speeds is mind boggling. I just don't have time or patience for it myself. :)

well 7900gtx also uses 1.2ns memory instead of the 1.4ns on the 7900gt. the actual 7900gtx board is also different.

512mb of ram is meaningless on a vid card. My 7900gt memory overclocks to 1800mhz mem (well above a stock gtx). It's core clocks to ~548mhz.

This reminds me of the classic "Why buy an FX processor when you can overclock a normal A64 to the same speeds?" question.

The answer is that the better card can overclock too. ;)

pibrahim said:

I herd somewhere here that the ingame demo of UT2007 was played on a PC with SLIed 6800Ultra's :confused: ?

-Proxy

0zymandias said:
512mb of ram is meaningless on a vid card. My 7900gt memory overclocks to 1800mhz mem (well above a stock gtx). It's core clocks to ~548mhz.
its not meaningless. it may not be worth the extra cost because only a few games benefit from it. to people that play those few games at 1600x1200 with all the eye candy it is probably worth it though. sometimes the benefit is smoother gameplay that may not be reflected in just fps. READ THIS and dont just look at the graphs. http://www.pureoverclock.com/article33.html

im gonna add that any that buys a directx 9 card over $300 is silly. silly cause dx10 cards are just around the corner...

LawGiver said:
im gonna add that any that buys a directx 9 card over $300 is silly. silly cause dx10 cards are just around the corner...

The fact is that this is a bad to buy just about anything in the PC world right now simply because of all the changes coming up, especially Vista.

There are simply times in this industry where its better for consumers to wait. This is one of those times.

heatlesssun said:
The fact is that this is a bad to buy just about anything in the PC world right now simply because of all the changes coming up, especially Vista.

There are simply times in this industry where its better for consumers to wait. This is one of those times.
well you dont have to get something new the day it comes out. i personally will wait until vista has been out a few months before getting it. :D

I HAVE to upgrade now. I don't have a PC. So I'm only going to spend ~$600 for a mid-high end system (in my book).

I usually wait, but I can't afford to not have a PC :/

MelchiorZ said:

Only if you got so much money that you use dollars as a toilet tissue to wipe your ass, then get gtx. otherwise don't waste your money.

charliebrown78 said:
Only if you got so much money that you use dollars as a toilet tissue to wipe your ass, then get gtx. otherwise don't waste your money.

Comments like that just make me laugh.

$500 really isn't that much on the scale of things, if you have a decent job and live in a major city. Start work on Monday you've earned that by the end of Tuesday. From the way you're talking its like we spend $100,000 on it.

At the end of the day people like myself and the guy who posted earlier just don't have the time, patience or inclination to work out every last drop of performance from lesser parts and want to spend our spare time playing games and using our PC's for the purpose we bought them for and so we buy the best card we can to drive our monitors. The difference between a GT and a GTX might not be huge but there is a difference and it becomes more marked the harder you push them and for a lot of people that is enough to warrent the extra 5 or 6 hours work you might have to put in to get that faster version.

i dont think Dirx10 is coming out anytime soon. and all of you guys with 7900gt's who cant get a good oc is because the 7900gtx has the voltage raised on the core! duh..go volt mod it then tell me what clocks your getting..

Back