Who loves NCAA Football?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
This has become the only game i play on my PS2 anymore. I had the 2003, 2005, and now the 2007 version. I am debating on waiting to see if i get a PS3 for xmas to get 08 or just get it for the PS2.

Anywho, who are you guys usually in the game, and what skill levels do you play on, and whats your record?

I almost always play Michigan State University (since i just graduated from their), and i play on either All-American or Heisman. My record is 58 wins 3 losses playing the computer. Verses a human i am 10 and 10 because i usually screw up the profiles and the other player usually ends up playing my profile, etc.

It was really funny the first time i ever played the "season" thing i played Idaho the first game and though it would be super easy and that they would be a push over. Boy i was wrong, i lost by one point.

Any other memorable moments for you guys?

Michigan State University (since i just graduated from their)

A true MSU grad.

I've had a lot of fun with 2007, well worth the 20 bucks I spent. I enjoy the gameplay more than Madden although the previous gen gameplay across both games is better imo (it could just be that madden 07 was SOOOO atrocious.)

No NCAA game for Wii so I can't play it until I get a PS3, but yes I love me some college football.

True Story

Last night I was playing through NCAA 07 on my 360. I just won the national championship game and after I got the achievements and attempted to get back to the menu my xbox gave me a disc unreadable error. Sucks! I couldn't save it to continue the next year.

Just hope it doesn't break again, on my third repair.

I play NCAA all the time....get it every year on release day.

I usually play a dynasty, and just enjoy playing a game every once in awhile. (When it is like the #1 team and I am not ranked). I usually play Texas A&M, as that is my favorite team.

I just like the recruiting and all that crap that goes along with it. Usually can tell you the names of my top recruits and everything else every year until they graduate. :p

NCAA 2008 is the first ncaa game I have liked...they always felt somehow less fluid than the pro games and I'm not into college sports, but 2008 is friggin great. I've been playing my Marlyand Terps dynasty non-stop since it came out. the whole recruiting process was new to me but I like that aspect alot. I'm not sure what my record is but I'm about 5 years in, probably 5 losses and have gotten maryland up to being a 6 star school. I'm considering starting over with a 1 star school to really give me some challenge :D

I thought the madden gameplay would follow the same formula this year, but I was horribly mistaken and just ebayed madden 08 cause it sucked in comparison...too bad cause I was looking forward to importing some of my guys :(

at any rate, I wish the instruction manual was a little better cause there was some questions I had that just werent entirely explained to me...when it came time to redshirt guys I had to call a friend of mine to find out what the hell that meant....and the trial and error that went with recruiting lasted more than a few in game weeks :p

I would like to see it give the option to focus your redshirted guys attention on specific aspects of thier gameplay though and maybe an indication of how close you are to getting another state to be a "pipeline" state. also have some of your non-football related school ratings be more affected by stuff I can do...

gald you mentioned this game op, I've been meaning to find some forums to see about some tips
edit-I have it on 360 and would have never even played it if there werent a demo, one of the best features of this generations consoles in my opionion

I have not yet played 08 but i am really looking forward to getting it. I see that for the PS2 Wal-Mart has it for $34.99, everywhere else its still $49.99.

I love 07, its by far my most played game (as said before). I dont really know of any tricks for it, except setup the audiables to playes that you actually know. Oh and i have no idea how to run the option, i ALWAYS end up getting sacked! I try to pitch it and it dosnt go, i try to throw it and it dosnt go, i try to run it and i am slow as hell because it still thinks i am trying to throw! AHHH!

But ill have to play around with that in practice.

Oh and one of my other fav's is doing the practice and having the defense do an all out blitz every time while you change up the offense, it really gets you ready for playing real games when they blitz.

Another thing is, do you guys play online? How is it, is it fun, do some of the people really suck!>

I've been playing since it was "Bill Walsh College Football." I'm a long-time fan, but I'm an Alabama fan/grad and we've only had 2-3 decent teams in the 3D era. I've got to go back to the classic 78,79, and 92 teams to actually accomplish anything decent.
Still, I think they're more fun than Madden. With Madden, every team inexplicably throws nothing but long passes but in College at least it's realistic to see a lot of long bombs and busted defenses.
How's 2008? The last one I played was 06 as I've been peeved with EA after the poor revisions of Madden as of late.

I've been playing since it was "Bill Walsh College Football." I'm a long-time fan, but I'm an Alabama fan/grad and we've only had 2-3 decent teams in the 3D era. I've got to go back to the classic 78,79, and 92 teams to actually accomplish anything decent.
Still, I think they're more fun than Madden. With Madden, every team inexplicably throws nothing but long passes but in College at least it's realistic to see a lot of long bombs and busted defenses.
How's 2008? The last one I played was 06 as I've been peeved with EA after the poor revisions of Madden as of late.

I hear 08 is pretty good, but i have been going back and picked up all the old versions of NCAA Football used for like $.99. Its pretty nice, go back and play a few games with the old QB's from my past TV watching. I love playing with Smoker (From MSU) against Michigan during the "One second TD pass"!!!! I can only get it about every 1 out of 8 times though! hahah.

I love NCAA 08 and have played through 3 Dynasty seasons before other newer games grabbed my attention away. This is one of the few games that I actually buy because of the replay value. memorable moments for me are when you come across the rare animation you haven't seen before or perform a perfectly executed play against cranked up AI. Oh...and the 2nd dynasty season I actually put a little time and effort into recruiting and landed seven 5star recruits!

edit- If you have a choice I would go with the 360 version however...I have a PS3 and a 360 with NCAA for 360 and Madden 08 for PS3 which was a big mistake....it runs at half the fps and looks more washed out than the 360 version. (and I suspect the same is true for NCAA 08) Don't buy any EA sports game for pc though...I hear the ports are pure rubbish.

edit- If you have a choice I would go with the 360 version however...I have a PS3 and a 360 with NCAA for 360 and Madden 08 for PS3 which was a big mistake....it runs at half the fps and looks more washed out than the 360 version. (and I suspect the same is true for NCAA 08) Don't buy any EA sports game for pc though...I hear the ports are pure rubbish.

I agree that you don't want to buy madden on the ps3...but NCAA on the ps3 works just as great as on the 360... (The fps is locked to 30fps on the ps3, but I don't notice any difference and you won't either.)

I cant say anything about previous games except for a few rare moments playing 07 and 05 (I think)...but 08 is the best ncaa I've played, and the best football game experience I've had aside from NFL2kX

I wonder if EA has a soon to be expired NCAA license?

I play NCAA 2006 for the original Xbox. Dynasty mode is my favorite. I'm currently in my 31st or 32nd season. I play on the hardest difficulty and I'm undefeated (for all seasons) in dynasty. I played with a created team for the first twenty some seasons modeled similar to USC when they were a powerhouse (but not USC because I hate those sons of bitches :p).

For some reason twenty some years of undefeated seasons wasn't good enough for the school I created so they let me go. Go figure. So right now I've been coaching for Texas A&M for a few seasons. I hold all the dynasty coaching records except years at school and years coached.

The game is extremely easy (even on hardest setting) once you become great at controlling your running backs. I've mastered the onside kick so I have about 85% chance of succeeding every time I do that. I always go for two and always go for it on fourth down. For defense I always run either a 4-4 defense all out blitz, dime package with a zone blitz, or a 5-2 defense and audible the d-line so one end isn't lined up with an offensive lineman. Once you run the score up on the computer it switches to an air raid offense which doesn't work at all with the defensive plays I run. Most points I ever scored in a game was something like 144 (4 minute quarters).

After two or three undefeated seasons you can recruit blue chip players so easily. Once I figured out the recruiting scheme and didn't let the computer help, I've never recruited a player with a rating less than 4 stars (of 5 I think). I redshirt all freshmen unless I need them to play and put out about 6 pro draft picks every single season.

I do sim the obvious blowouts, but I've actually played about 200 of the games. Probably should stop playing at this point since I've broken down the game so much, but I just really want that most years coached record for some reason :).

In the original John Madden Football ('91) there was a trick to recover onside kicks every time by kicking the ball as lightly as possible and immediately jumping. For some reason your guy would jump 10 yards and you'd always get it back. In that same game, the Cincinatti half-back (I'm guessing it was Icky Woods back then) could pass better than anyone else in the whole game. I ended up scoring almost 300 points with 15-minute quarters just by doing that same thing over and over again :p

For College, I tend to run the option a lot. I'm an old-school Alabama fan so I tend to run wishbone type of offense. It works wonders against the CPU with some practice, but a player can stuff it pretty easily. For other players I actually used to play a pretty conservative 49'er offense of passing to the backs and running between the tackles. At least that worked up until the PS2 versions of the games.

The trick to beating other players is the same trick people use in Madden tournaments. Motion. When you put someone in motion, the safety's AI tends to go nuts. If you keep sending someone back and forth (call the play quickly so you can keep doing it as long as you need) eventually the safeties will move up and any fast WR is immediately open for a freebie 30 yard pass. Other players can stop it to a degree if they control the safety...but they can only control one at a time. If you keep mirror plays and the occasional draw as an audible, you'll be able to milk that all day. Supposedly this was partially fixed in the 2008 EA games, but I can't confirm it. One way or another, audibles and motion tend to be AI pitfalls.

I play NCAA 2006 for the original Xbox. Dynasty mode is my favorite. I'm currently in my 31st or 32nd season. I play on the hardest difficulty and I'm undefeated (for all seasons) in dynasty. I played with a created team for the first twenty some seasons modeled similar to USC when they were a powerhouse (but not USC because I hate those sons of bitches :p).

For some reason twenty some years of undefeated seasons wasn't good enough for the school I created so they let me go. Go figure. So right now I've been coaching for Texas A&M for a few seasons. I hold all the dynasty coaching records except years at school and years coached.

The game is extremely easy (even on hardest setting) once you become great at controlling your running backs. I've mastered the onside kick so I have about 85% chance of succeeding every time I do that. I always go for two and always go for it on fourth down. For defense I always run either a 4-4 defense all out blitz, dime package with a zone blitz, or a 5-2 defense and audible the d-line so one end isn't lined up with an offensive lineman. Once you run the score up on the computer it switches to an air raid offense which doesn't work at all with the defensive plays I run. Most points I ever scored in a game was something like 144 (4 minute quarters).

After two or three undefeated seasons you can recruit blue chip players so easily. Once I figured out the recruiting scheme and didn't let the computer help, I've never recruited a player with a rating less than 4 stars (of 5 I think). I redshirt all freshmen unless I need them to play and put out about 6 pro draft picks every single season.

I do sim the obvious blowouts, but I've actually played about 200 of the games. Probably should stop playing at this point since I've broken down the game so much, but I just really want that most years coached record for some reason :).

you should try the more recent games, the computer ai gets frazzled at times but it does respond well to similiar looks if it has the weapons to do so...they run alot of play action and draws to counter over blitzing and will pick apart a zone while motioning guys to exploit mis matches....

Ok, so i got a new story.

I have been playing Dynasty Mode with MSU and besides the first loss to Idaho i have been doing good.

I was playing scUM (U of M) and was kicking their ass might i add, and was trying to run the score up even more in the 4th quarter and i make them punt and it rolls to the 2, and like an idiot i try to throw on all the downs, so there i was on 3rd down, Stanton drops back to pass, scUM comes with the blitz and get me in the backfield for a safety but Stanton is hurt and out of 2 weeks and the Ohio State game is the next game, i got screwed! But the score was MSU 48, scUM 9.

I haven't picked up 08 yet, but 07 was pretty bad. Still a fun game, but one of the worst in my opinion. At least the 360 version was icky. We like to play it in 2 player and the craptastic momentum system made that much less fun than in previous titles.

Most all of my friends still view NCAA 05 for the Gamecube as our fav. The classic games, the rivalry games, big play games, and just fun stuff like pumping up the crowd, and even a detailed create a school. Two on one team also. If you were big on multiplayer you really could just go forever on that one. I dunno why they took a lot of that fun stuff out in the newer games :/

You can always find tricks. I remember in 05 all of us got really good at doing a weave & juke that would pretty much glitch the AI on long runs. Halfback pass in Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football was another one. That play was pretty much a 100% big gain.

Back