Who’s Suing Whom

HardOCP News

[H] News
With so many companies suing each other right now, it is hard to keep track of who is suing who and for what. Thankfully Fortune has a spiffy chart that will help you keep track.

I wonder if some of those bubbles describing the lawsuits in question are untrue. They seem like such basic practices it would be nearly impossible to sue for. Example Kodak using Sony for "creating electronic cameras that store images digitally'. Wouldn't this almost apply to practically every digital camera? How does one define an 'electronic' camera? Anything with an on/off button and/or an lcd screen? If so it seems like Canon, Nokia, HTC and any company whose ever made a digital camera or cellphone with on-board camera is in trouble if his lawsuit succeeded. Kodak could become a trillion dollar networth company overnight with that kind of lawsuit power.

I feel like everything is patented. You can't even put a brand sticker on a laptop anymore without having to worry about a company patenting the color.

Nokia and Kodak seems quite the sue-happy bunches.

It's not just telecom, all "IT" based industries have this problem. It has become impossible for an engineer to do honest work and have the company be fully protected against lawsuits down the road. It's time to rework software patent law.

I wonder if some of those bubbles describing the lawsuits in question are untrue. They seem like such basic practices it would be nearly impossible to sue for. Example Kodak using Sony for "creating electronic cameras that store images digitally'. Wouldn't this almost apply to practically every digital camera? How does one define an 'electronic' camera? Anything with an on/off button and/or an lcd screen? If so it seems like Canon, Nokia, HTC and any company whose ever made a digital camera or cellphone with on-board camera is in trouble if his lawsuit succeeded. Kodak could become a trillion dollar networth company overnight with that kind of lawsuit power.

I think royalties might be getting paid on their part.

oh noes its gonna get to the point that you cant just be the first one to make a product it has to be good too! DOOOM DOOOOM.........Doooooooomm

I don't get it, they sue each other yet buy each others products. Maybe if they weren't suing each other all the time stuff would be cheaper.

Pretty disgusting IMO...

While I'm sure there is a bit of infringement, think about how much money is wasted in litigation.

What? Nobody is suing M$? Quite the change of events! A few years ago, MS was the big evil target! I guess they swapped evil rolls with Apple?

Love that chart. Gave me a good laugh. I used to travel doing some computer consulting, and I saw all the travel fares and hotel rates were all one company ripping off another company. This chart reminded me of that.

What? Nobody is suing M$? Quite the change of events! A few years ago, MS was the big evil target! I guess they swapped evil rolls with Apple?

Apple or Google, depending on who you ask :p

Note the title of the article - the chart focuses on Apple and Motorola and anything directly and indirectly involved with the suits in that chart.

I'm quite certain Microsoft's got a few suits against them that has nothing to do with anything you see in the charts.

Note the title of the article - the chart focuses on Apple and Motorola and anything directly and indirectly involved with the suits in that chart.

I'm quite certain Microsoft's got a few suits against them that has nothing to do with anything you see in the charts.

I'm suing them because I patented the word "micro" and another word "soft" how dare they put the two together! :p

Everyone got tired of suing ms and losing..That and apple got all sue happy and pissed everyone off so they are the current whipping boy in courts. Give it a few more years and it will be someone else again..likely MS..you know, just because.

older version

500xmobilepatentsuits.jpg

Strange--both the old and the new version of the chart omits the fact that HTC is also suing Apple...;)

man, why can't we just all get along? I mean, look at china's amount of bootleg/copied products....and nobody seems to mind. =P

i like this chart.

ah they are just trying to justify having lawyers on retainer have the suits will get tossed out in court.

A few months ago it seemed like we had an Apple lawsuit article at least once or twice a week.

Back