Who uses Anti Virus Software ?

ytry2bsafe

n00b
I was just wondering what anti virus software people here are running, if any on their macs. I personally don't (I find not being a idiot helps a great deal). I do use a firewall (Hardware and Software) , scan for spyware and monitor my system. I am very interested to see how many users here are using anti virus software on the mac !

I don't use any antivirus. I find that being careful is pretty much all you need to do.

Intego VirusBarrier user here.

Even if Macs arent widely targeted for malware, I don't want my machines to be hosts of crap, for my Windows machines to contract either. Just helps me sleep better.

The reason I initially asked was due to pressure from friends to start using something. It's good to see I am not alone. I have not had any problems so far due being careful and paying attention/ monitoring my system. Thanks for the responses.

meh i use norton... even though i find it not needed but i feel uncomfortable when accessing my bank statements and bills and etc without having some sort of antivirus on. Just me :p

I use ClamXav sentry to monitor my downloads folder... i download a lot of stuff for both mac and pc and just like to keep my network clean. Seems to work really well.

none needed really. work provides me with a free copy of SOPHOS antivirus. Not as many bells and whistles as norton or mcafee, but it uses little system resources and works just as good if not better.

My company just switched to SOPHOS... but only provides the PC version of sophos... (kind of irritating). Seems to work good on the company laptop though.

Is there any known malware or spyware scanners for OS X? I sometimes wonder why some of the installations of software ask for my root password (usually to install for all users) while others don't and it makes me nervouis.

I use ClamXav, well I do when my Mac is working :(

I liked it well enough though it never detected anything, but then again I also use AV on my Windows desktop and it hasn't detected anything in years either.

...gotta stop clicking the "New Posts" button then posting blindly...

*walks away with tail between my legs*

Last edited:
I was just wondering what anti virus software people here are running, if any on their macs. I personally don't (I find not being a idiot helps a great deal). I do use a firewall (Hardware and Software) , scan for spyware and monitor my system. I am very interested to see how many users here are using anti virus software on the mac !

I have ProteMac NetMine installed on my Mac, and it's enough so far :)

I don't use anything as of yet, but I heard there was a mac virus on the loose.

Here at work (US Navy) we use symantec on our MBP and Mac Pro's. Pretty much required by the government

Here at work (US Navy) we use symantec on our MBP and Mac Pro's. Pretty much required by the government

Just curious, but are you using those pieces of hardware with Windows or OSX? Gotta ask... because the OSX EULA has some specific situations where it's actually against the EULA to use them...

Apple OS X 10.5 EULA said:
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Always gets me to laugh when I read that... so I'm just curious (if you can even specify) what purposes those Macs are being used for, and what OS is in use.

Janitors each have a station in their closets with Mac Pro and a logging software installed where they punch in and out and record leaks and such.

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
lol :D
i'll think of using this as my sig ;)

nope i never used any anti virus software for my macbook in 2 years. Haven't had a single problem besides the heat

Have really never thought about it. Alot of it is just smart internet surfing. Plus OSX is not targeted as frequently as the Windows counterpart.

I use ClamAV & iAntiVirus. all which are free. I like to be safe than sorry. I use to use Symantec AV for Mac but why pay for something you can get for free. Especially when it's just as good.

I use Symantec Corporate Edition 10.0 on my iBook. I've never found anything, but it's so small and lightweight that having it installed doesn't hurt a thing nor slows it down. ;)

Just curious, but are you using those pieces of hardware with Windows or OSX? Gotta ask... because the OSX EULA has some specific situations where it's actually against the EULA to use them...

Always gets me to laugh when I read that... so I'm just curious (if you can even specify) what purposes those Macs are being used for, and what OS is in use.

I'm too lazy to go find a copy to read for myself, but does Windows say the same thing? Is it just generic legal speak that they have to include?

Fiance has an imac 24"

No av or spyware

But might load the free stuff mentioned

Al

Hardware? We use symantec on OSX 10.5.7, I have taken many of laptops to the apple store for servicing and no one has ever said anything about the anti-virus software. Either way it's a requirement.

No anti-virus software on my MBP. In fact, I've had only 1 virus problem on my various Windows machines over the past 10+ years.

Of course, now that I've declared this I fully expect to be ass-raped by catastrophic virus attacks on both of my computers before day's end.

"just as good as norton" wow, in the pc world norton itself is a virus lol huge resource hog bloatware junk av system. nod32 ftw. No idea for macs though.. I just got my os x system running.. so far not running antivirus on it.

Back