Who will actually upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista?

Will you upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista?

• Yes

Votes: 257 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 12.9%

• Total voters
I will be.

I like the interface changes and it seems pretty solid (not that I really had trouble with Vista).

Also, I expect it to be standard for a whie so I want to make sure I know it so I can support it better at work.

I wonder how many people will pirate Windows 7 with the justification that they already paid for it when they bought Vista.

Honestly I'm thinking about just sticking with Vista and moving full time to Gentoo. Games just don't do it for me anymore and I get to tinker in Linux.

I've used it since the betas became public and am now on the RC. So fast, so stable and packed with tweaks both large and small. The new Taskbar, altered SuperFetch algorithm and additional personalization features make it worth it.

i want to when its released. i want to know prices and gaming performance though i do alot of gaming on my pc.

I kind of already have I guess ... as soon as I find a good deal on Win7,I'll buy it tho .. and if you can do a clean install from an upgrade disc, then I'll go the upgrade path

No, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 both rely on the new driver model present in Windows Vista and Windows 7. You will never see DirectX 10 or 11 backported to Windows XP, it simply does not have the backend to support them.

The best you could hope for is a DirectX 10 or 11 to OpenGL 3.0 wrapper, but that would negate a lot of the low level optimizations the latest versions of DirectX rely upon, making it quite a bit slower than it would be on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Honestly though, it's time to let go of Windows XP, especially if you're into highend graphics. XP is almost a decade old now, it's in the extended support phase of its lifecycle, and it's simply not built to fully support modern hardware (case in point, the piss poor driver support on the 64bit version of Windows XP).

i want to when its released. i want to know prices and gaming performance though i do alot of gaming on my pc.
Take this with a grain of salt:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/05/leaked-best-buy-memo-reveals-windows-7-upgrade-pricing

It's too bad they don't list full version pricing. I'm hoping OEM versions stay about the same as Vista or are priced lower. There was another report stating that retail prices would be much higher than Vista, but I can't see that happening in this economy.

Gaming performance is the same as Vista. NVIDIA's Win7 drivers are pretty solid, but the control panel has some quirks.

Take this with a grain of salt:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/05/leaked-best-buy-memo-reveals-windows-7-upgrade-pricing

It's too bad they don't list full version pricing. I'm hoping OEM versions stay about the same as Vista or are priced lower. There was another report stating that retail prices would be much higher than Vista, but I can't see that happening in this economy.

Gaming performance is the same as Vista. NVIDIA's Win7 drivers are pretty solid, but the control panel has some quirks.

id expect microsoft to do a deal for those people that already own vista.. if they dont then microsofts just retarded and greedy.. but i wouldnt expect it to be all that much more then vista.. since in reality they havent really done much to develope windows 7.. all they did was take vista, fix some of the coding issues, and remove all the old windows 2k bullcrap left in vista which caused it to be 10 times larger then it should have been..

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not interested in upgrading to 7 on this machine as I'm happy with Vista and don't see any need to pay and incur the upheaval in moving to a pretty similar operating system. There are a few features I'd like, such as WDDM 1.1 and Aero Snap, but I'll wait until I have cause to buy a new operating system.

The deal for people who already own Vista is the upgrade version, for whatever price they might be selling that for.

No, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 both rely on the new driver model present in Windows Vista and Windows 7. You will never see DirectX 10 or 11 backported to Windows XP, it simply does not have the backend to support them.

The best you could hope for is a DirectX 10 or 11 to OpenGL 3.0 wrapper, but that would negate a lot of the low level optimizations the latest versions of DirectX rely upon, making it quite a bit slower than it would be on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Honestly though, it's time to let go of Windows XP, especially if you're into highend graphics. XP is almost a decade old now, it's in the extended support phase of its lifecycle, and it's simply not built to fully support modern hardware (case in point, the piss poor driver support on the 64bit version of Windows XP).

LOL, take a chill pill man... I was just teasing. :D

I've got a TechNet subscription and an urge to upgrade my existing hardware; so naturally I'm going to hold out for Windows 7 to come out first (and hopefully the next-get video cards too).

yep, i´ll be upgrading to Win7 from Vista, as my third OS in my PC, along side with WinXP and Linux :)

id expect microsoft to do a deal for those people that already own vista.. if they dont then microsofts just retarded and greedy..

Do you expect Honda to upgrade you to the latest version of Accord if you buy one today and next year they come out with a new model?

It's a ridiculously ignorant thing to suggest.

Do you expect Honda to upgrade you to the latest version of Accord if you buy one today and next year they come out with a new model?

It's a ridiculously ignorant thing to suggest.

Yeah, and its looking like it may only cost $50 for Vista users to upgrade. If so, that's a huge plus.

I wonder though if the upgrade discs will be similar to Vista and allow people to install them as a full version by using the work around technique.

I'm not upgrading my Vista PC or this one (gonna make this a Linux PC when RC runs out) but I'll get Windows 7 for my next build for sure.

I'm just getting ready to toss it on another system to mess around with it some more. Fun times. :)

I'll upgrade my media center and my laptop to 7. My main computer I'll keep Vista. It still works great and I don't really wanna buy 3 Win 7 licenses.

I will, but i'm not in a big hurry. The first Win7 upgrade will probably be when i upgrade my laptop.

The people that visit HardOCP most likely knew the issues and made the decision to opt for Vista. Knowing that there were some issues they still wanted the latest technology. Makes sense that most would opt for the newest iteration of the MS OS.

I need to play with RC more to make a decision. I actually like Vista SP1, except for a handful of annoyances (turned off UAC), file permissions (oh! your too dumb to go into the program files folder! bad user!) and other minor shit.

I find it fast, quick booting, etc. I didn't like Vista pre SP1 though. Its also been the most reliable OS ive ever used.

I'm hoping to test it on some older machines (Celerons or Pentiums) and see how it performs, but I'm probably going to skip Vista and start implementing Windows 7 on all new machines.

I'm definitely going to get at least one copy. I don't know if it'll be for my desktop or laptop though.

I normally wait a year or so for the kinks to get ironed out...but Win7 seems like what win98 was to win95 - mostly improvement.

I'm more than willing to upgrade provided it's cheap - I bit on Vista Ultimate via the academic Ultimate Steal promo for $60. I doubt I'd go higher than $50 though. Vista x64 is working fine.

had it and went back to Vista

the 7 taskbar is crap, i hope they fix it or let use choose a vista style bar instead, i dont like all my stuff merged into a bloody icon like MSN

Windows 7 media centre recordings, I cant play them on any other pc in the house... new file format and only seems to run on the particular windows 7 machine not even another windows 7 machine. Someone must not have been thinking someone would like to record tv on their main pc and watch it later on the laptop or something

if they fix those ill go back

the 7 taskbar is crap, i hope they fix it or let use choose a vista style bar instead, i dont like all my stuff merged into a bloody icon like MSN

Spoken like someone who
A) Never really gave it a try
B) Never sought out to fix the problem
C) Would rather complain

Because not only does the Win 7 taskbar make more sense once you get used to it, you can also disable the grouping :rolleyes:

Right click and go to the properties. You can make it the same size as the Vista taskbar and turn off grouping. I have to say that the icon grouping grows on you after awhile. Its not really more functional, but it looks nice.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but the only reason I'm really sticking with the 7 RC over Vista is Aero snap. I'm using a 37" 1080p TV as a monitor and its really nice to be able to maximize a window to half the screen just by dragging it left or right.

I have a TechNet subscription so why not? But I won't "upgrade," I'll reformat and start with a clean install of 7.

Back