Who wins? GTX280 w/ PhysX vs. 4870x2?

Waterboy

Limp Gawd
It looks like the x2 is the king of the hill, but I am still wondering if games that are PhysX enabled, better on a GTX280? Is anyone considering PhysX at all if they are in the market for a new video card? Anyone have link(s) to compared these setup?

PhysX still has a ways to go. I wouldn't really consider it in making a GPU now. By the time PhysX becomes important we'll be on another generation of GPUs.

PhysX still has a ways to go. I wouldn't really consider it in making a GPU now. By the time PhysX becomes important we'll be on another generation of GPUs.

Agreed, and that's IF PhysX gets a big adoption, which it certainly hasn't yet.

+1 definitely shouldn't be put into consideration for the gen of gpu's

Thank you for the replies guys...it does make sense. A couple more questions...
The 4870x2 does all the other encoding and accelerations that the GTX280 do right? Like video and photoshop, folding...etc.
My 8800GTX SLI is pretty fast for now on a 24", will I noticed a big improvement upgrading to an x2?

The 4870x2 does all the other encoding and accelerations that the GTX280 do right? Like video and photoshop, folding...etc.
My 8800GTX SLI is pretty fast for now on a 24", will I noticed a big improvement upgrading to an x2?

imho No, from the reviews I have read the X2 really shines @ 2560 x 1600, and is on par w/ the 260 SLi/280 SLi, 4870 CF @ resolutions 1920 x 1200 or lower...

your current setup should be more than efficient @ 1920 x 1200, my younger brother has 8800 ultra's in SLi, gaming @ 1920 x 1200 and hasn't had a hiccup in any game...except for maybe Crysis w/ the Ultra High Hack...

Comparing the 2 8800's vs 1 280 FtW, there wasn't really much difference gaming wise...@ least from our POV.

FYI, I do have a 4870x2 coming my way and the only reason why I'm retiring the 280 for the 4870x2 is b/c I game @ 2560 x 1600....if I was gaming @ anything lower, I would have stuck w/ the 280

in video thing ati is much better than nvidia

UVD2.0 looks to be the best for Video Quality enhancements and CPU usage reductions.
I think you will notice a better experience for ameplay with the 4870X2 as opposed to the 8800GTXsli. Nothing insane though.

I would not bother. at 2.3mp my single 8800GTX is just a tad slower then I would like. an SLI setup like your should be good for a long while yet. what can't you play maxed out except cyrsis? If your need video or blue ray support just get a copy of HD anycd. you will not need the hardware DRM. I would wait for some kind of need and by that point the price will have dropped or there will be something better. and if your interested in phsyx (it doesn't seem to be much at this point) you are already setup for it, runs fine on the 8800GTX and you have two of them.

about the only thing you might notice is the CFAA that the 4800 bring to the table. that and they can run a great deal more AA then your setup can. you would have to decide if that was worth it to you. you would get more eye candy out of the deal.

The winner would be the card which its technology is supported by more games, either Crossfire or PhysX.

PhysX is a marketing scam.......

Winner is the 4870X2 with no doubt since by the time "physics" is usable both the 4800 and 200 series cards will be distant memories.

PhysX is a marketing scam.......

Winner is the 4870X2 with no doubt since by the time "physics" is usable both the 4800 and 200 series cards will be distant memories.

+1

I would like to add that if you consider the price difference (~$150) between the two cards then both cards are winners.
Also, the 4870X2 relies a lot on drivers optimization thanks to the Crossfire technology and it may have issues with some games (especially the newer ones).

Back