Whoa! 1Gbps Internet Service, Just $350 Per Month

LOL, you live in a trailer? i pay 800 a month in property taxes.

Nope, i live in SW Kansas. A nice 3BR house, and it does have a roof. :p

Trade offs: Hour drive just to get to Walmart, Fastest internet is 500kb down real time.

lol, I remember having a conversation like this on OCN a while back. 1Gb is all well and good, but to be honest 100Mb is good enough to stream many DVDs or a few less Blu-Rays. Not only that, but a) 100Mb Ethernet is more than commodity these days and b) Ethernet over fibre is old hat.

By rights, Ethernet over fibre, which can range over several kilometres, should be the de facto standard for Internet access in Western homes.

now this needs to creep up I-24 towards the 'boro and Nashville....30/30 for ~10bux more a month on comcast @ 12/2 = easy choice.

Nope, i live in SW Kansas. A nice 3BR house, and it does have a roof. :p

Trade offs: Hour drive just to get to Walmart, Fastest internet is 500kb down real time.

NC here and $100 a month for 500kb down and 200kb up. Same distance to Wally World also. :)

I'm on 100/10 fiberoptic. Never have I gone beyond 6 megabytes per second down from any site anywhere, including traditional benchmark FTPs in my country. A gigabit service is useless for a home consumer until we get an international communications network free of people choking routers and backbone networks with their linux ISO sharing torrent services.

Hmm.. I live in Knoxville - not offered in my zip code... I guess they are slowly moving outside of Chatanooga, and it starts only in Chatanooga on the 13th?

checked their website, there isnt a cap, .

30/30 $57
50/50 $69
100/100 $139
1000/1000 $349

I would be very happy with 50/50.

Of course this is for home use.
I just upgraded the office line to 10/10 and at $900/month, it's still the cheapest deal out here in costly Kalifornia.

600 square miles = 13.82 mile radius.

Guessing it's a typo and they just meant within a 600 mile radius.

The 30/30 service is nice. For the same price on Comcast you get 20/4.

What do you live in? a Box ? $350 a month...

I don't pay much more than that, and I live in a 2500 sq ft house in expensive Southern Orange County, California.

It's called buying at the bottom of the market (last bottom since we haven't hit the current one yet), buying what I could actually afford, and paying down the mortgage as my income increased (so much for those days).

One problem is the property taxes add about another 60%

My best bets are south korea, sweeden, japan and lastly norway for the 1gbps reach.
norway officially have 400mbit, while sweeden got 100 and 1000(some places)
A call always does work.
But again, south korea cant go wrong in terms of internet :p waaaaants!

checked their website, there isnt a cap, .

30/30 $57
50/50 $69
100/100 $139
1000/1000 $349

I would be very happy with 50/50.
50/50 is the sweet spot with a special price. :eek:

The fastest I can get in my neighborhood is 6M/768k (AT&T's DSL Elite), which costs me over $50 w/ a basic landline phone plan. :(

I wonder if companies in the Chattanooga area will take advantage of the 1 Gbps offer or if they'd want something that's more reliable/reputable. :confused:

This might make me want to leave Ohio and move back to TN.... Its too flat here and 15mbps internet cost $50 a month...

My best bets are south korea, sweeden, japan and lastly norway for the 1gbps reach.
norway officially have 400mbit, while sweeden got 100 and 1000(some places)
A call always does work.
But again, south korea cant go wrong in terms of internet :p waaaaants!

Gigabit fiberoptic has been rolled out in the six or eight largest cities in Sweden with "stadsnät" which is an rj45 jack in the wall. ISPs haven't been that interested in offering it because it's not very useful, and they have intelligent people working for them who aren't money-grubbing customer-kicking dbags.

And the only bandwidth limits we have are on cellphone mobile internet 3G plans.

homemade datacenter? :D

Charter blocks ports so you can't set up a home server...even when paying $80 a month for just Internet...

So symetrical is awsome, but if they give port freedom as well, this is like the deal of the century in America!

Um, with 1Gbps service the cap should be NON-EXISTENT! Routers do not cost more to use because more traffic is flowing through them, and if you DON'T oversell your bandwidth, then that's no problem! All this 'bandwidth costs money' bullshit is just coming from the top of the chain who want to charge everyone through the nose for using their backbones. Fuck 'em.

+1 and also the cell phone companies charging up to $100.00 for voice and data.

Its probably "up to" 1gb/s. so it will go 1gb/s if the other 200 people sharing the line all die taking their computers with them, while the rest of the world watches an incoming comet hit the planet, and the wind is blowing in the direction of the cable (both solar and normal). Otherwise its 50mb/s.

I have TW in LA and get 32Mb/1Mb for $39 in LA can't even begin to think what 1Gb would be like since most of the backbone would freak if 30 or 40 people in one area suddenly hit it with that kind of traffic or how slow it will drop off once the route gets off the fast trunks...

There are people in this building that pay more than that to park a month. :(

I pay more than that per year to park, and I'm in a college-town apartment in the ghetto of Cincinnati. $350 a month mortgage must get you like 4 square feet.

1Gbps. That's nice. Especially when most of the net hovers around 200kb/s on average in the real world use of it. You'll find that even if you had the 1Gbps, that most sites will still take time to load as they pull crap from everywhere (google, intellitxt, FB, twitter, etc), and format on the fly.

That annoys me. All this speed and we still have to wait. If only more work went into making this all work better than the big mash it currently is.

Hmm.. I live in Knoxville - not offered in my zip code... I guess they are slowly moving outside of Chatanooga, and it starts only in Chatanooga on the 13th?

EPB is part of the city of Chattanooga. Knoxville will get it, if the city ever decides to do it.

A friend of mines who lives there was telling me how it was a big legal fight between EPB and Comcast just to get the project off the ground, obviously because it had the potential to put Comcast out of business. I gotta call him and see if he's going to jump ship now.

I'm happy with my 50/6, only thing I can see that speed would be useful for is bragging rights

And will they shut you off when you download absurd amounts of data?

Apparently a commentor on engadget stated that there was no cap (this is a gov't owned ISP), and he asked if he could maximize it 24x7 and the guy was like go for it.

Meh, if they ever brought that to Canada they would just cap us at 60Gb anyway.

It is awesome paying some of the highest rates for some of the poorest Internet service in the world. I also enjoy our mobile phone data plans which are worse than mobile phone data plans in third world countries.

I'm on 100/10 fiberoptic. Never have I gone beyond 6 megabytes per second down from any site anywhere, including traditional benchmark FTPs in my country. A gigabit service is useless for a home consumer until we get an international communications network free of people choking routers and backbone networks with their linux ISO sharing torrent services.

^ The only useful thing said in any of the replies.

This even stands true for 50mbit services, yet alone something 20x faster.

Verizon FIOS is 30/30(not exactly sure on the upload tho) and it comes with tv and phone for 100 bucks +tax/fees.

Back