WHOA Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB SATA/300 ( 139.95 ) NR

The 750GB HD's at Newegg are $40 less, which is a slightly better deal in my opinion.

Ugh, refurb... you almost had me blow the champange bottle.

The WD refurbs I received as replacements for drives that died during warranty have been ok.

I don't get why people don't like refurbs. Seems like they were made fucked up from the get go and they are fixed. If you take a chance and buy a new one, what are the chances that it will be screwed up also? So if it is then you send it back and it gets refurbed. What are the chances that they screw it up 2x?

It's not that it's a refurb, it's that it only has a 90 day warranty.

I like my hard drives with warranties measured in years, not days ;)

LOL Ockie, if anyone's got a bottle of bubbley set aside for the day TB drives go below $150, i'm sure it's you ;)

Are you saying that he probably has a bottle of bubbly set aside for a "TB drives get below $150 false alarm day"? ;)

I don't get why people don't like refurbs. Seems like they were made fucked up from the get go and they are fixed. If you take a chance and buy a new one, what are the chances that it will be screwed up also? So if it is then you send it back and it gets refurbed. What are the chances that they screw it up 2x?

it's a risk. how can you know if they really "fixed" it? or did they just throw a band-aid on it and send it back out? how long was the hard drive used and in what environment before it was sent in to be "fixed"? it is a used part, plain and simple, and it's a huge risk to buy anything "refurbed" with mechanical moving parts to save $10-20 over a new item, especially a hard drive... they only give it a 90 day warranty for a reason.

I have one of these drives (was new though) and have been very happy. I Use it as a media storage drive and for data backup. I don't notice any speed issues, but it IS exceedingly quiet.

I've had exceptional luck in my days with refurbs. The first "real" digital camera I ever had worth anything was a big ol' Kodak - 1.2 megapixel I think??? Thing took amazing pictures, but had problems right out of the box. Sent it into Kodak, who at least had great CS back then, and they promptly replaced it with a new one. Right out of the box we were having the same problems and a couple of additional ones. We promised Kodak that we weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, and were following instructions and all that good stuff. They said they'd send out a refurbished model instead, since this is the second time.

We received our refurbished model and it worked PERFECTLY. It worked without flaw for a long time after that until it finally got smashed because a classmate ran into me and knocked it out of my hands. The lens was physically smashed into the camera body. If it weren't for that, who knows. Probably would still work today. Everything else refurbished that I've ever purchased has worked extremely well also. I had an HP iPaq that I just flat wore out replaced with a refurbished one. The refurb lasted even longer than the original. Generally I feel that a refurb is sometimes as good as new or better, because new product often hasn't been tested and proven to work, hence the plethora of DOA products that are frequently RMA'd in the tech industry. Refurbs have been tested and defective parts replaced, often with new replacements that are "second gen" or revised so that their sturdier than their original counterparts to prevent known issues.

The one catch is the warranty. 90 would scare me on a hard drive. All the refurbished product I've purchased or had sent to me as a replacement was on the condition that the same warranty would apply to the refurb as a new unit. I would be leery about this offer. Perhaps they lower the warranty coverage because WD takes a different approach than HP or Kodak?? Maybe these are hard drives that have been dropped, and had pins broken off. They replace the pins, and hooray! A refurb!! Problem is your still buying a dropped drive, or perhaps a drive that's had something else traumatize it.....

Geeks.com... They lost me as a customer after their database got hacked and customer data was stolen.

I've had good luck with WD refurbs.
Bought 6 WD 250GB drives from Woot.com and only had to send one back within woot's 90day warrenty.
And I've got 4 WD 40GB IDE drives that are refurbs and are like 5 years old.
Still going strong.
I just don't want to spend the money right now.

Back