Whos PSU not strong enough for 6800GT?

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
I'm just wondering how many people have had problems with a 6800GT and not having a powerful enough PSU. If so WHAT PSU (brand/watts), and what was the problem/symptoms. I only have a 300W, but its held up fine considering everything that I have in my case up until now. But I'm thinking I'm probably going to need to upgrade my 300W when/if I get a 6800GT.

300W PSU from a Skyhawk case
CPU 3.45GHz OC'd 2.4C, 2 optical drives, 1 HD, soundcard, NIC, neon, 4 case fans

i had a kick ass 200 watt PSU...i couldnt even boot with the GT...it would start up, then just boom click off and i would have to unplug the power for about 10 seconds and plug it back in to get it to work again. I unplugged all the shit in my comp that i didnt need...ie cd rom, floppy, anything i could, and put my CPU back to 2.66 and it worked...so i got an Antec 400 watt PSU...works great

I'm running on a 350watt sparkle psu that cost me like $35. Running a HD, CD-RW, the 6800gt, wireless card and a soundcard, no crashes yet.

Im running mine on some generic 420 watt PSU that came with my case and I have no problems.

Mine is on a 350w Enermax and is rock solid 3 cd\dvd drives, 2 x HD, 7 fans overclocked cpu and a gt and no issues at all.

My SilentX 250w gave me all sorts of problems with the BFG 6800gt OC. I read all these rave reviews about how it wouldn't be a problem...... I have the ICE fan, 1 sata hd, 1 dvd-burner, and had the 6800gt. I switched cards out of my two main machines, the x800Pro is now in the shuttle with no problems and the 6800gt is in the machine with an antec true430 with no problems, yeah I know big sacrifice eh? Oh well can't win em all I guess.

I'm running my eVGA 6800 GT on the 350W PSU that came with my Antec 3700AMB.

I'm running dual processors, 6 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 3 80mm panaflos and a 6800GT off of a 550W Antec True Power...and it's solid as a rock...:)

Anyone got it running on a 300W PSU? with similar set up as me?

Looks like 350W and up is fine.

300W might be the breaking point depending on the quality of it

And 250W and below is a problem.

See my sig? My Enlight (good units) 300w power supply is running perfect. I have a fairly highly overclocked cpu, overclocked 6800GT, 2 optical drives, and 2 hard drives. QUALITY is more important, and the 12v rail as well, I tried a supposedly "good" 400w unit and it choked....big time.

chrisf6969 said:
Anyone got it running on a 300W PSU? with similar set up as me?

Looks like 350W and up is fine.

300W might be the breaking point depending on the quality of it

And 250W and below is a problem.

See above post...

My PS is just barely strong enough. Came with my raidmax case.

350W 16A on 12V rail.

One of my connectors doesnt have enough juice so when i start up, all i get is junk. (Comp doesnt even boot). (Nothing else on the connector)

I had to switch to the other connector and everything seems fine. I can play games fine w/o a single problem. Im just scared to OC my GT or CPU.

AMD 64 3000
BFG 6800 GT
2 Optical Drives
2 HD

Maybe my Antec 550 is going "TU", but as soon as I added my GT, my 3.3v rail dropped to 3.1v or below at idle. :( I don't have any stability issues but that low reading is troubling...

Self

M1dknight said:
Mine is on a 350w Enermax and is rock solid 3 cd\dvd drives, 2 x HD, 7 fans overclocked cpu and a gt and no issues at all.

YAY! I have an enermax 350...and less stuff.....YES

I have a Thermaltake 480W purepower and the 6800GT runs great at stock speeds. But if I overclock it to even near ultra speeds, it will pause randomly during games (doesn't freeze, just pauses for like 5 seconds). I can definitely tell its a power issue. Granted I do have 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives, O/C'd processor, 5 fans and 2 PCI cards. I did just order a 550W Antec Truepower though since my 2nd computer needs a better PSU. I'll try that out and see how it does.

I've got a Dell 8250 that probably has a power supply under 300w and both a PNY and a BFG work fine. 2 Hard drives and two CD drives. Performance hasn't been spectacular, but I've got a whole new setup on the way to put together, so I haven't really worried about my current comp.

Back