Who's running their 8800GT @ 2000Mhz memory?

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
Just curious to see who is running the memory on their 8800gt's at 2000mhz? Im currently testing my overclock at 2000mhz, looks to be stable.

Anyone been running @ 2000mhz for a while now stable?

Kinda curious if those reports about the card not being able to handle such a high overclock are true or not.

I have it on 700 1750 / 2000 it seems stable. This card in my opinoin doesnt overclock well unless you got a new heat sink. My cards temps are really low but many times during the overclocking process it crashed in games like crysis and gears of war, Tell me what overclock your getting thats stable ?

Mine came stock 1950 on the mem but I underclocked it to 1800 because I have some crappy memory sinks that fall off from time to time.

Running 760 on the core perfectly stable, 39C load temps. :D

Mine came stock 1950 on the mem but I underclocked it to 1800 because I have some crappy memory sinks that fall off from time to time.

whats the shader oc ?>

what gains in fps you get in games... I'm debating on getting that card and I wanna get the ones that are clocked 650 and up, if not big gains than I'll just pick up one with stock clocks... I'm assuming that those clocked factory higher will have better cooling solutions on them.

So, what gains are we seeing with overclocked cards people?

I've been running 2GHz mem since I got it. My core oc's to 775 or so, stock cooling but it builds up heat and will black out after a while. My shaders won't go over 1782 though.

Right now I just have it set to SSC speeds and it's perfectly fine. Not bad for a $229 stock version. ;)

I haven't tested FPS my total gains, I just know that going by 3Dmark I gained a total of like 700 points going from 700/1750/1000 to 775/1800/1025. I only ran it that way to break 13k 3DMarks though. ;) I'll take my 12.3k at cool and stable.. at least until I get aftermarket cooling!

I've been running 2GHz mem since I got it. My core oc's to 775 or so, stock cooling but it builds up heat and will black out after a while. My shaders won't go over 1782 though.

Right now I just have it set to SSC speeds and it's perfectly fine. Not bad for a $229 stock version. ;)

I haven't tested FPS my total gains, I just know that going by 3Dmark I gained a total of like 700 points going from 700/1750/1000 to 775/1800/1025. I only ran it that way to break 13k 3DMarks though. ;) I'll take my 12.3k at cool and stable.. at least until I get aftermarket cooling!

I tried installing ati tool and running the mx core thing but it keeps on telling me i have to enable something from the video card like through dsipaly settings i cant find it ! any tips

Just curious to see who is running the memory on their 8800gt's at 2000mhz? Im currently testing my overclock at 2000mhz, looks to be stable.

Anyone been running @ 2000mhz for a while now stable?

Kinda curious if those reports about the card not being able to handle such a high overclock are true or not.

stable here

Well the memory chips ARE 1.0ns rated chips which should equal 1000mhz (2000mhz DDR) so in theory it should run fine at that speed, but at this point I don't think anyone's sure:

1. What voltage is required for that rated 1ghz to be in effect.
2. What voltage the memory on the GT is actually being fed out of the box.

I think your chances are better if you use a third party cooler since the memory will run much cooler. With the stock cooler the GPU core heats it up so much it actually makes the memory run hotter than it would otherwise.

mine is default 2000, evga ssc.

I am running the SSC card also, 2 of them actually. I haven't really tried to overclock yet. The temps stay pretty high on stock settings. No problem with stability though.

My last run on 3dmark06 was 16658. So I am content for now.

I tried installing ati tool and running the mx core thing but it keeps on telling me i have to enable something from the video card like through dsipaly settings i cant find it ! any tips

ATITool doesn't work for them, get Rivatuner.

I have had 3 cards BFG 8800GT OC;

The first one can actually handle 2090 (1045) but I run it at 2000 on a regular basis
The second one could only hit 1950 (975) before becoming unstable - I returned this card
The third one can handle 2020 (1010) but I run it at 2000 on a regular basis

Card #1 has a zalman vf700 and copper ramsinks BUT I installed this after finding its limits. For the record cooling it better did not increase my OC ability. The other cards were run with the stock heatsinks with AS5 applied to the core; this did nothing to lower temps or improve overclocking as well.

Sometimes people tend to over-exaggerate the benefits of "modding" your video cards, I honestly believe these people are just trying to justify their $40+ mod.

My Vanilla Leadtek GT card runs at a max of about 740/2060 happily in Crysis and ATItool artifact testing and did it on the stock cooler. Much higher on either and it had problems.

I have knocked my card back to 700/2000 as I don't believe any extra stress is worth the gain and it allows headroom, I have also replace the stock cooler.

Also, if your card is being overclocked too aggressively, it could actually HURT your scores. Just find a happy medium that's not too hot and stick with it. It's not worth the extra 1-3 FPS to fry the shit out of em.

Stock fan at 60%. 2100 seems fine but I turn it down to 2000. Core, I can get 710 fine but 720 causes artifacts; so I settle for 702.

Settings are odd in Riva2.06. For instance, the reported shader oc speeds jump from 1728 to 1782. I find that 702 gives 1728 and 1760ish gives 1782. Anyone else find this? Is this the card or Riva's settings?

Stock fan at 60%. 2100 seems fine but I turn it down to 2000. Core, I can get 710 fine but 720 causes artifacts; so I settle for 702.

Settings are odd in Riva2.06. For instance, the reported shader oc speeds jump from 1728 to 1782. I find that 702 gives 1728 and 1760ish gives 1782. Anyone else find this? Is this the card or Riva's settings?

It's the way the shader clocked is set up. You can only go up or down by 54Mhz.

My Vanilla Leadtek GT card runs at a max of about 740/2060 happily in Crysis and ATItool artifact testing and did it on the stock cooler. Much higher on either and it had problems.

I have knocked my card back to 700/2000 as I don't believe any extra stress is worth the gain and it allows headroom, I have also replace the stock cooler.

Quesion: When you installed your VF900 did you cover the MOSFET chips with heatsinks? I have the same cooler and probably going to get the same card, so please help me out on this one ;)

Well 4 hours of RTHDRIBL proved my overclock to 700MHz core, 1728MHz Shader, and 2000MHz Memory is stable. :cool:

Temps didnt break 74C at any point. stock cooler running @ 50% fan speed.

Edit: 13500 in 3dmark06

whats the shader oc ?>

what gains in fps you get in games... I'm debating on getting that card and I wanna get the ones that are clocked 650 and up, if not big gains than I'll just pick up one with stock clocks... I'm assuming that those clocked factory higher will have better cooling solutions on them.

So, what gains are we seeing with overclocked cards people?
I can max out CoD 4 1600x1200 4xAA. Crysis is perfectly playable @ 1280x1024, everything on high.

Honestly I would just pick one up with stock clocks. The cooler on them is the same from what I rememeber and I'm pretty sure it will easily do 650 on the core.

wow, what cooler do you have on that beast
Watercooling. :D

well i sure am glad I didn't buy them Thermalright VGA coolers...

So now all I need to do is upgrade my Northbridge cooling.

Quesion: When you installed your VF900 did you cover the MOSFET chips with heatsinks? I have the same cooler and probably going to get the same card, so please help me out on this one ;)

I pointed a fan about at the mosfet end of the card about 15cm away, probably does a better job than just sinks alone. The VF900 does a very nice job of reducing core load temps 20C+

I think sinks or a fan will do the trick nicely,

As I have posted before, those Mosfets must get pretty dam toasty under the reference cooler, as that end on the card gets burning hot to touch with the reference cooler. I suspect nothing at all on them is probably better than the reference cooler imho.

I can max out CoD 4 1600x1200 4xAA. Crysis is perfectly playable @ 1280x1024, everything on high.

Honestly I would just pick one up with stock clocks. The cooler on them is the same from what I rememeber and I'm pretty sure it will easily do 650 on the core.

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I needed.

I will pick up either this one or 3870.. I've waited for so long I can wait few more days.. I just want to see what 3870 will do when overclocked and how far they can take it too.

I dunno if this has been posted before or not. I remember seeing someone on the H or Anand forums speak of the gpu fan. The GPU fan starts off as a loud 100% then goes to 10% and never rises even under full load. This could be a major reason why people are experiencing such high temps with the stock cooler. A fix would be to download rivatuner and set the fan from <auto> to 50- 60%. You get a good 15 degree C drop in temps. I will try this when I get home from work today.

I dunno if this has been posted before or not. I remember seeing someone on the H or Anand forums speak of the gpu fan. The GPU fan starts off as a loud 100% then goes to 10% and never rises even under full load. This could be a major reason why people are experiencing such high temps with the stock cooler. A fix would be to download rivatuner and set the fan from <auto> to 50- 60%. You get a good 15 degree C drop in temps. I will try this when I get home from work today.

Yeah your right by using riva tuner i get 42 no load and with crysis ( real game ) i get like 60 max with my overclock 700/1804/2000 if i dont have the fan on 80 or 100 i start getting these werid zig zags which im gussing are artifacts or something lol so fan stays at 100 %. Yes its loud but im not gonna go spend 30 dollars just so i cant hear the fan, I just turn up my head phones =)

After about 45% fan speed the reference cooler starts to become quite loud. At that speed I was getting around 82C under Crysis (and ATi artifact) and maybe about 65C on most other games that are less video intensive.

So in a nut shell, the Game itself, room temperature and quality of airflow is the reason people are reporting different temps that know to increase the fan speed manually. Increasing the reference fan speed will definitely help, but at 45% speed it annoying, and 80%+ unbearable.

Add to this the entire Reference cooler is poor at dissipating heat, so the entire card is hot to touch, so its not just reported GPU temps you have to consider.

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I needed.

I will pick up either this one or 3870.. I've waited for so long I can wait few more days.. I just want to see what 3870 will do when overclocked and how far they can take it too.

Good idea. Unlike you I'm impatient as hell. :p

Damn, my card runs pretty cool and I still cant get 700/2000 stable.

Try them seperately. Drop the mem down to 900 or lower and pump the core. Then do the opposite. Shaders are the most sensitive. I found that unlocking them and leaving them just under 1800 was the only way to increase my core. I got it up to 775 that way, but its way too hot and artifacts after a while. :(

See sig for specs..

I've hit 775 / 2050 stable. I can run it up to 2100 and it's stable in CS:S / Bioshock / Tiberium Wars, but artifacts 2/3's the way through the second loop of 3DMark. With RivaTuner, artifacts start to show up after the 5 minute, 20 second mark.

Time will tell.I think the cards with the extra V-Phase (3 , versus the stock 2),will not see the alluded to problems you mention months down the road.

Back