Who's waiting till 06 for a 7800 GTX/GT ?

LordBritish

2[H]4U
I got a 6800 Ultra already.
I can wait till 2006 for my next upgrade.

When are you folks upgrading to a 7800GTX/GT ?

I also have to upgrade CPU and motherboard since I'm using s754 and AGP mb.

LordBritish said:
I got a 6800 Ultra already.
I can wait till 2006 for my next upgrade.

When are you folks upgrading to a 7800GTX/GT ?

I also have to upgrade CPU and motherboard since I'm using s754 and AGP mb.

When the R520 comes out, so I can compare the 2 and find out which one will be better for me. I will be considering, price ranges, performance gains, and which one will be more future proof. Next year before college, I am going to put alot of money into a computer its going to be interesting in what I get. I need something that will last me 4 years and will play any games that comes out. Graphic quality does not make a diffrence for me. Im used to low settings anyways.

I'm waiting for the next big game to come out. Nothing out now, or currently on the horizon strikes me as being a "must-play" title...so I'm content with my 6800GT for right now...

6600GT is still doing very very well for me, so I may skip the 7/R520 series all together and go straight to Geforce 8600GT :)

I've just upgraded to a PCIx system so I am selling my 6800 Ultra (AGP). I've ordered a 7800GTX to replace it. It seems it's a beast of a card, and it should last me a long time since I don't feel compelled to max out the settings on every game I play (after all, I cut my gaming teeth on the Atari 2600). :)

I thought about waiting until I saw nVidia's answer to the R520 before making a purchase, but retired years ago from playing the "wait and see" game with video cards. There will always be something better just around the corner.

mike0219116 said:
I've just upgraded to a PCIx system so I am selling my 6800 Ultra (AGP).
PCIx is a server bus. You mean PCI-E.

I will be upgrading when I can get enough money scrounged together and more that double my performance. I'm looking to spend about $200 this christmass so the midrage 7 series cards should be out as well as r520.

I was about to do this. But for some odd reason I decided to get a 7800 GTX after I saw what a huge improvement Battlefield 2 was on my friends PC. I was about to wait to see what ATI had before I spend the big bucks. But unfortunately I couldn't resist the temptation of gamma correct antialiasing and transparent antialiasing. Once you try those features, they are difficult for a gamer to let go. If you can fight the urge to upgrade I recommend highly not to spend that money. I do feel it was an utter waste of money after I had my 6800 Ultra, but I got a good offer forit, so I didn't lose that much money but it is money I could have saved for other hobbies that are not gaming related :p

by holiday season there will be enough games with beefy requirements to warrant getting that card, but then again, the xbox 360 will be out and will be able to run these games, plug into your monitor, and for less than a whole computer, so hmmm......contemplating switching to the dark side.

I'm sick of building XP systems, so my next computer will be a Windows Vista machine. So whatever card is $300 by then. Hopefully a G80 or whatever although a GTX will do just fine.

Mr Mean said:
hobbies that are not gaming related :p
!!!?!?! .......... i dont understand.... ....... ..

trying harder... ........ ... nope... ... cant do it man.. what do you mean?

I'm waiting till november then I'll build the best sub 2,000$ avalible at the time right now I have 2500$ but I'm going to buy a motercycle so that ruins any computer upgrade things I might want to do in the next 1-3 Months.

Since I am not ready to get out of the AGP and into PCI-E, I will wait for the rumored AGP version of R520 (ATI is rumored to make these) and get it. Would have love to get the 7800gtx/gt in agp to replace the 6800gt but nVidia in its infinite wisdom is not making an AGP version, so...

I took the plunge yesterday. The combination of BF2, TSAA, my aging AGP system and the "low" $500 price at Monarch was too much for me to resist. :)

I'm waiting for the 7800 GT to come out and based on its price/performance, I'll get either a 6800GT/Ultra/7800GT

I think that I am going to stick with my 6600GT till Unreal 3 comes out (I am a cheap jew :D )

Once that comes out, which is late 2006 early 2007 I believe, I will sell this fucker for like $20 and buy a nice 300-400 card.

I'm still running an athlon xp system. I just upgraded to a 6600gt. I'll probably upgrade my whole system sometime in '06 with whatever technology is out.

No point to wait...buy the best you can now and upgrade when it comes out.

Actually it does make sense to wait for some, like me.

I've got a 6800 Ultra and it plays almost all my games just fine.

In a few months, my 6800U will be inadequate.

I'm doing it before xmas. My problem is my house is a two computer* house, so I need to build a new box from scratch - and budget accordingly.

*gaming computer. Yes, I let my kids play games. Doom 3 yes, GTA no. Hell, even bugs bunny shot Elmer Fudd in the face with a shotgun...but that wasn't during a drug deal, or to punish a hooker.

6800GT OC till 06. Vista and Unreal 3 (if they are really out in 06) will push me over the edge. Just like D3 and HL2 did this time and XP and Unreal 2 did the time before that.

If they stretch to 07 I might have to do an ATI switch (look here Nvidia) for some agp holdover goodness and leave motherboard and pci-e for later when dual core really becomes usefull for games.(although x2-4800 is whoopin some ass in games right now, I'm talkin about actual multithreading)

Well, I just got myself upgraded to an Athlon64 3000+ with a Geforce 6800GT PCI-e 256MB, and I have to say that I see no reason to upgrade. I run BF2 and Far Cry at max settings, and I have no complaints. It's fast, smooth and gorgeous.

I'm gonna wait for Geforce 8 or R600 in all likelyhood.

Jason

Just think, two revisions after this for Nvidia, it'll be the Geforce 9800GT haahaha.

Not likely.... lol

I'll be upgrading when Windows Vista comes out, my 9800XT will suit me fine until then ... and yes *gulp* i will make the jump to PCI-e.

I'm waiting till 06 when the g80 comes out toward the fall. The 7800GTX is a waste of money in my eyes, its too much power for games of today, and not enough power for games of tomorrow.

Furthermore, I dont see why my 6800gt w/ zalman cooler oc'd to 420/1100 cant hold me until g80. Prey and UT2K7 are quite aways ahead. Both arent expected until Q3 06.

I'm more interested in upgrading my amd64 3200+ atm.

I just bought a 7800GTX + Venice 3000+ yesterday. :D I'm hoping for this system to last until about mid-2007 so I can get a 65nm M2 and some good DDR2 once they make some. That and the next or next next gen from nVidia or next next/next next next gen from ATI (nVidia is one ahead ;)).

Back