WHQL 185.85 Nvidia drivers are out

Good looking out man thanks. Been using beta's for a some time now time to upgrade to release. Love the 2.4 MB/Sec nvidia's site offers too :).

Oh nice these are new drivers that have the AA working in Crysis I think...didnt know they were out. Cheers!

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/185.85/185.85_WinXP_GeForce_Release_Notes.pdf
Page 5 said:
What’s New in Version 185.85
• Added support for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275.
•This driver version adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all
GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB
dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX
System Software v9.09.0408).
Note: The NVIDIA Control Panel erroneously reports the PhysX software version
as 9.09.0203. If you have installed graphics driver version 185.85, then the
NVIDIA PhysX software installed is version 9.09.0408.
•See “Changes in Version 185.85” on page 6 for a list of resolved issues in this
release.
Page 6 said:
There are no bug fixes to report since version 185.81.

I'm running a 7900GS and I've installed 185.85, I'm stable on 178.24, whenever I install 185.85:

• Boots up in 640x480, lowest bit color
    Any attempts to change resolution and color are ignored

I've tried 182 and the same thing happens, yet both of these drivers say they support 7900GS. I tried to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and change the settings from there, but I couldn't find it or when I right click the desktop the option doesn't exist.

What gives? :confused:

It's about time Nvidia set up an RSS feed for driver updates. Half the time I don't realise there are new drivers out

Duh, just found the email notification option!

Last edited:
Nice, going to go get these soon and going to try out the Power Apps too!

I'm downloading them right now and will install later since I gotta run to work. It's good to see stated support for my GTX 275.

Seems to be the same performance as 182.50 for me. Plus I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out why I don't have Ambient Occlusion. They don't both to mention its DX10 only in the press release. Jerks.

hmm any else getting XML errors in the control panel with these?

Ambient Occlusion worked for me in the beta drivers (Windows 7, 8800GTX) and I thought it was a nice little image quality boost. It is subtle but effective and the frame rate hit seemed reasonable. It adds a bit a dept. It was a little glitchy and flickered a bit in TF2 but it made Fallout 3 look unreal.

Got a problem with 185 and movies. The picture get's all flickery and noisy. Had to go back to 182.

using 8800GTS 512, Vista 64, Media Player Classic.

Got a problem with 185 and movies. The picture get's all flickery and noisy. Had to go back to 182.

using 8800GTS 512, Vista 64, Media Player Classic.

That may be teething problems with WDDM 1.1 and syncing the screen.
I get a similar issue (looks like image tearing) when I play video on my second screen, with it not set to primary video output (not just with this driver, it happens like this always).
Making it the primary output resolves the issue, allowing it to sync.
It looks like some hardware features arent working yet for you with this driver.

May I ask what this ambient occlusion does?

Well, I probably won't understand the technical details of what it is, but I want to know is it an extra feature like AA and AF

Or is it a technique that is used by certain game engine that if I turn it off, i will be disabling such feature in that said game?

Thanks

May I ask what this ambient occlusion does?

Well, I probably won't understand the technical details of what it is, but I want to know is it an extra feature like AA and AF

Or is it a technique that is used by certain game engine that if I turn it off, i will be disabling such feature in that said game?

Thanks

little of a and a little of b

little of a and a little of b

Actually it's only a.

B is wrong.

The driver has no way to know that a game is using SSAO, or how it can safely "remove" it. It's not something that can be done, or would be smart to do.

The SSAO in the NVIDIA control panel is a feature *add*, for games that don't natively support their own SSAO... it can't remove the games native SSAO rendering. The control panel feature uses a special technique (and btw built-in implementations in games are often completely different, game to game) to darken areas that are actually more hidden from lighting, like corners where two walls join together, or any indentation. See more here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/siggraph-2008-HBAO.html

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10.5/direct3d/samples.html#ScreenSpaceAO

It does this in screen space, meaning that at the point it does the SSAO, you no longer have 3D scene data to base it on, and you are not doing the extremely complex physically-accurate calculations of bouncing light rays around a whole scene. You're just doing the trick once the final picture has already been produced, and you still have depth data for the scene (just not full scene data). This gives a similar (but a less physically accurate) effect to the extremely costly method without paying that huge performance price. Think bang for the (performance) buck :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations about the driver's ambient occlusion thing;)

ah ..thanks for the links to help my simple mind to see/understand :cool:

Does anyone know if these drivers fixed the crashes connected to the L4D survival update and Nvidia drivers?

I really like these drivers. I seen performance increases in many games!

The performance boost in Crysis Warhead with anti-aliasing is huge with the 185 series drivers.

I cant get these to install correctly. I have tried everything. I ended up geting wierd errors about nividia using a 32 bit installer... blah blah ..which it was NOT. I got the 64 bit drivers right off the web site.... made damn sure of it.

I had to go back to the 182.50....crap!

Ambient Occlusion gives everything a sort of "fuzzy" look. Its a bit of a compromise, the extra depth is good, but the performance hit and fuzziness is bad.

Ambient Occlusion gives everything a sort of "fuzzy" look. Its a bit of a compromise, the extra depth is good, but the performance hit and fuzziness is bad.

I need to play with this a little but right now it looks like the performance hit is just too high for DMC4. I liked the effect though

Same here it broke my gtx 285 sli, my second monitor stopped working and theres no SLI option, just single card? nHancer crashes, WTF, going back to 182.50 fixed everything, how the latest drivers passed testing is beyond me

works great with fallout 3. i only be able to play in windowed mode before. but now i can play it in 1080p ultra detail without crashing in full screen mode :)

Will this Ambient Occlusion and driver update help with phantasy star universe for the PC?

Sometimes my The Last Remnant game become noisy and I have to restart the machine to make it go away. Kinda annoying but other than that I think its cool...though I do have a sneaky feeling the performance in the game has dropped a bit because of these drivers. Ah well.

Also I didnt have XML errors i the Nvidia control panel but make sure to update your copy of Nhancer because it did not like working with these drivers.

I had to resize my screen in the Nvidia control panel because I lost about an inch to black space all around my desktop. It reverts back to losing the screen real estate upon boot or wake and stays that way till I log in. But when I went back to 182.50, it went away. Its just enough to be a little annoying.

need some help guys, i just built the cpu in my sig, and have been using for about a month now tops.....i just got Left for dead through steam, and everytime I play it for sometime, the game will lock up on me and the only option i have is to, control-alt-delete and kill the process for both L4D and Steam....then i can relaunch them both and I will be good. I'm posting here because i just installed this driver and was wondering what you all thought...

It did it with the driver beforehand too..which was whatever the EVGA site gave me to use...i got the 185.85 driver from the NVidia site.

Thanks, it sucks going through 4 levels of a campaign online, only to have the effin game freaze up 2 minutes from finishing.:mad:

Create your own thread for this as it isnt likely to be a one line fix.
Check your event log to see if anything happened before each crash.
Report the results in your new thread.
pm me the link.

Back