WHS, RAID, and HyperV

jon_k

Gawd
So I'm new to virtualization, but basically I want to set up a virtual WHS on a HyperV server.

The main reason I want to do this is because I'd like to use a RAID 1 array, and I've heard that WHS doesn't work well with raid. So, I'll just install HyperV on a RAID 1 array, and set up WHS on a single virtual hard drive. This way, the VHD file will be mirrored to both drives, and I can easily create a backup by copying the VHD file to an external hard drive.

Again, I'm new to virtualization, and I was wondering if I will encounter any serious issues with this or if this is just a bad idea in general.

So I'm new to virtualization, but basically I want to set up a virtual WHS on a HyperV server.

The main reason I want to do this is because I'd like to use a RAID 1 array, and I've heard that WHS doesn't work well with raid. So, I'll just install HyperV on a RAID 1 array, and set up WHS on a single virtual hard drive. This way, the VHD file will be mirrored to both drives, and I can easily create a backup by copying the VHD file to an external hard drive.

Again, I'm new to virtualization, and I was wondering if I will encounter any serious issues with this or if this is just a bad idea in general.

WHS works just fine with RAID....its just not supported.
Neither is running it as a VM, but it works just the same.

Unless you need virtualization it seems that you are just making things complicated:)

Back