WHS to Linux

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
I've been using WHS v1 for a good number of years now and it was great (at first). But recently, I've been wanting speed especially since I have more devices, especially wireless, so I was looking at an alternative/upgrade.

My specs:
18TB of WD Red, Black and Green drives (eventually going to go to all Reds eventually)
2x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8

Suffice to say, theres a bit of data here. All the drives are NTFS formatted, of course.
Recently performance has been terrible whenever the drive extender is active and doing its thing.
Obviously the main thing is drive pooling and a very close second is replication. As I don't have another NAS for pure backup purposes, I like the way WHS backs up one drives data to other drives. Another like is some sort of external control interface (web is fine). Some sort of drive balancing would be nice. WHS was supposed to have that built in when files get written to the drives but it's far from perfect. I have to run a 3rd party program to achieve that and it usually takes about 12-24 hours to run.
Ive looked at the following:

Amahi - Looks decent.

FreeNAS - I didn't see anything regarding drive pooling/replication.

Open Media Vault - No initial drive pooling / replication but the greyhole plugin can be added for drive pooling which just seems peculiar as to why it wasn't integrated in the first place. I burnt the iso to a CD to try it but it wouldn't boot, it just hung at the ISOLINUX line.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials - I'm not paying $400 for an OS. Plus Microsoft wasn't hesitant in killing off drive extender once, whose to say they won't do the same thing with 'storage spaces' in the near future.

mhddfs - Doesn't look like it hit the mainstream much. I'm not sure I like the idea of filling up a drive at a time. Doesn't sit well with me. I like files to be spread out across drives. If simultaneous streams were to occur, the chances of them being on the same drive (especially for newer content), would decrease dramatically as they are now.

Then after all this, there's the painful process of converting all these drives to ext4 and migrating the data safely. I'm going to guess it's a one-drive-at-a-time process but if I can guarantee that the replacement OS will be worth the upgrade (meaning days/weeks of testing with it), then I'll overlook the pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep reading up on whats out there in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
Plus Microsoft wasn't hesitant in killing off drive extender once, whose to say they won't do the same thing with 'storage spaces' in the near future.
Microsoft included Storage Spaces in all editions of their Windows Server and are making it the foundation for their virtualization platform moving forward. It's not going away. It was an experiment before, now it's here to stay. Just an FYI.

FWIW, I'm running Server 2012 Ess., and it's basically a more powerful WHS (Had both v1 and v2). It MUCH less laggy and reliable, however. Though the remote access is still as finicky about routers as it was in WHS.

By the way, good luck with the data migration. Doing it from WHS is an insane pain in the neck.

Back