Why are bluetooth drivers so huge?

spotpuff

Gawd
I recently had to install some updated Broadcom drivers to get a bluetooth headset working with Windows 7. Prior to that I had been using the default Windows 7 bluetooth drivers with my microsoft keyboard, and the built in drivers worked fine.

The adapter I have for my desktop is a Belkin mini adapter. The drivers on Belkin's page, which I'm not sure if they are the same as Broadcom's drivers, are located here:

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/476/p/1837

And are a 209MB download. That seems absolutely ridiculous for Bluetooth drivers, but I have no idea what is or is not reasonable. Nvidia's graphics drivers are ~180MB...

Installed on my system, the Broadcom drivers are ~170MB or so, but I'm just wondering: is there a reason these drivers are so humongous? Seems like it should be a small download at most...

Also, anyone know a way to get Bluetooth working in the BIOS? I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and while USB works in the BIOS, bluetooth does not, and considering how widespread the Bluetooth standard is it surprises me that there is seemingly no BIOS support or way to get this working. I heard Macs use bluetooth keyboards in the BIOS, so maybe the motherboards used in Macs have support for it but not any Windows motherboards?

Also, given that several phones will be able to control overclocking options for newer motherboards (e.g. Gigabyte UD4P), doesn't that mean they HAVE to have Bluetooth support in the BIOS?

Usually it's because those drivers are loaded with software 'features' or prebundled with required things you may already have such as Java or .NET.

Most manufacturers have a lite driver download option. In my case, my Brother printer driver is a light 19MB compared to the 400MB for the full package.

But yea, driver downloads are way to friggin huge!

As far as BIOS is concerned, most bluetooth keyboards have a little USB dongle thing you can use for just that occasion. Usually have to turn on 'legacy USB support' though, at least in my case.

Some manufacturers provide their own bluetooth stack.

What does that mean, exactly? Is it necessary? I know in my case the default Windows 7 drivers didn't work with the headset until I used the updated Widcom bluetooth drivers (the adapter is the Belkin mini Bluetooth adapter).

Usually it's because those drivers are loaded with software 'features' or prebundled with required things you may already have such as Java or .NET.

Most manufacturers have a lite driver download option. In my case, my Brother printer driver is a light 19MB compared to the 400MB for the full package.

But yea, driver downloads are way to friggin huge!

As far as BIOS is concerned, most bluetooth keyboards have a little USB dongle thing you can use for just that occasion. Usually have to turn on 'legacy USB support' though, at least in my case.

Good to know; I will definitely try out the "legacy usb support". My motherboard does not have bluetooth built in; I'm using a Belkin mini-adapter and the Microsoft 6000 portable or something (the "ergo" one with detached keypad). The keyboard itself did NOT come with a dongle; would that be an issue?

Back