Why are Intel SSD so popular?

neonardo

n00b
Just curious. I see everyone wanting Intel SSDs, and they seem to be one of the higher priced drives, but their write speeds are 1/2 to 1/3 of most of the other drives such as OCZ, Corsair, etc, which are generally cheaper than an Intel of the same size.

What gives?

I dont believe them to be the fastest, or the cheapest.. There just overall very solid & reliable drives. & with SSD's being new & expensive reliability plays alot when your buying an expensive luxury item.. This being said I have owned 4 different Intel SSD's, but now I have a OCZ Vertex 2 (sandforce) ssd in my system.

I normally buy only intel SSDs for the same reason as stated above: reliable. Yes they are slower. Yes they aren't as bling bling super fast. But I know that intel will put out quality and will stand behind it for years which is a lot more than can be said for lots of the other common SSD manufacturers.

I'm excited for their third generation drives to come out I think in February as they look like they'll be pretty nice. Again, they don't look like they'll be coming in 1st place on SSD roundups but it looks like they'll close the gap pretty close.

Just curious. I see everyone wanting Intel SSDs, and they seem to be one of the higher priced drives, but their write speeds are 1/2 to 1/3 of most of the other drives such as OCZ, Corsair, etc, which are generally cheaper than an Intel of the same size.

What gives?

Actually, the Sandforce drives have some issues: Their actual speeds are only about half of what they benchmarked at. Plus, you'll find drives at the low end of the price range from those other companies that are downright sluggish in read speeds compared to even the slowest Intel SSD.

Actually, the Sandforce drives have some issues: Their actual speeds are only about half of what they benchmarked at. Plus, you'll find drives at the low end of the price range from those other companies that are downright sluggish in read speeds compared to even the slowest Intel SSD.

While I agree they arent nearly as fast as they benchmark (half is probably about right) that still makes the faster then most anything else (only the c300's are faster I think). And the cheapest drives per GB above 30gb is almost always Sandforce based drives, and they aren't sluggish compared to intel. I think there just cheaper, because there is so many of them. Being produced by 50ish companies compared to 1 for either then intel's or the c300's & as we know, competition drives prices down.

If I had the cash to buy any SSD, it would definitely be a c300 series, but Sandforce is good enough since the cost per GB was way better.

All benchmarks aside I honestly cant feel a difference in the speed of any of the SSD's I ahve ran, even when dropping from a pair of intel mainstream drives in raid 0 to a single x25v.. All decent SSD's will perform very well compared to any mechanical drive & I Honestly dont think that most people will be able to tell the difference.

solid and reliable and fast for your purposes.
sata6 the new generation will be 500mb read or so.

Intel always builds in tech to their components of which none of the other competitors can match.

In the case of their SSD's, the onboard MC has specifically coded algorithms that keep reading and writing to the memory in check; Meaning, you're not going to have a pre-mature death of your SSD. Couple with TRIM and garbage support outside of Windows 7 set of instructions, you have a very compelling reason to buy an Intel SSD over a competitor. Once I get an SSD (probably this next year) it's going to be an Intel drive for this very reason.

I have a 60gb vertex 1 OS drive and a 90gb vertex 2 game drive, and when trying the same app's on both , there is no perceivable difference between the two. My vertex 1 drive hasnt crashed one or seemed slow since I got it which was over a year and half ago.

Back