Why are there no 3870 crossfire reviews?

koretex

[H]ard|Gawd
I really want to see what a 3870 in crossfire can do vs a single g92 8800gts 512mb and a g80 gtx 768mb @ 1920x1200 in Crysis dx9 with everything on high (except maybe post processing) all with the latest drivers

Anyone know where I might find something like this....and ummm why hasn't brent done it yet?

perhaps because many of the reviewers realize there seem to be a lot of inconsistent performance with cf right now. either you get good frame rate increases but the games crash or develop graphical glitches, or enabling cf results in slower performance than with a single card. personally, this is what i'm experiencing with 38 series cf. i hoped the 7.12 drivers would rectify some of the problems i was seeing, but this last driver refresh seems to create new problems. there are a lot of posts on these message boards touting the power of 3870 cf, and while i believe the potential is there, the performance really hasn't materialized yet.

There is another Crossfire review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/30/rv670_amd_ati_radeon_hd_3870/11

However do note that those reviews were with older ATI drivers and Crysis vversions. Supposedly the newer ATi drivers and Crysis patches improves multi-card performance. Not too sure about that though.

And apparently the following games do show an improvement when Crossfire is enabled:
Bioshock
Company of Heroes: Opposing Front
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Oblivion
Prey
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3

There is another Crossfire review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/30/rv670_amd_ati_radeon_hd_3870/11

However do note that those reviews were with older ATI drivers and Crysis vversions. Supposedly the newer ATi drivers and Crysis patches improves multi-card performance. Not too sure about that though.

And apparently the following games do show an improvement when Crossfire is enabled:
Bioshock
Company of Heroes: Opposing Front
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Oblivion
Prey
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
In his tests you can see that Crossfire isn't working when he is getting the same fps as a single card.

A lot of people are holding off until the CrossFireX drivers get released sometime in January, and probably along the time of the 3870X2/R680 release that way they can benchmark CrossFire in 2,3,4 configurations all at once, rather than having to do multiple sets of benches. Also, the 790FX platform too.

Really Crysis CrossFire/SLI performance matters the most, and we are still waiting for that darned Crysis patch to enable CrossFire in Crysis and boost multi-GPU performance all around. Believe me, I am anxious to test that as well.

Really Crysis CrossFire/SLI performance matters the most, and we are still waiting for that darned Crysis patch to enable CrossFire in Crysis and boost multi-GPU performance all around. Believe me, I am anxious to test that as well.

Thanks for the update :D

any results to share now that the patch is out, Brent?

Even with the Crysis patch, I think everyone is waiting for the new ATI driver coming out this month that was specifically made for crossfire/tri-fire/quad-fire setups. That is probably why they are sitting on the release of the 3870x2 card as well, that card needs these drivers.

No Gtx or Crysis but worth a look. The best review Ive seen IMO.

http://www.expreview.com/review/2007-11-24/1195902778d7055_11.html

not this review again. this was the first review to feature cf with 38 series cards, but for me it just didn't hold any water. i can only speak for myself, but cf; whether with 3870's or 3850 512's; in 16/4 and 16/16 configurations remains wonky as hell, even with the 7.12 drivers. i believe this is one of the big reasons why the sites that published early cf benchmarks (legitreviews, bit tech) have stopped using cf in their video card tests.

Back