Why are toughpower 850's so damn loud?

Chris_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive had this psu a good while now and only lately ive started to notice how loud it is when the rest of the system is relatively quiet, playing a game like tf2 causes the fan to spin up to levels where it overtakes the noise my 2900xt used to put out. Can't help but notice this thing is marketed as being silent as well, silent my ass a tornado blowing through my room would be less obtrusive than this.

Just wondering is it a fault with the 850's and would they rma it for a quieter model. Gona submit a request at least when their site finally loads in.

not a 850 but I have the toughpower 1200 and its quiet as hell. Don't they use the same 14cm fan? I'm not sure why yours is so loud. defective perhaps?

Not sure myself, my case is an antec p182 so it has the psu fan facing downwards but that platform it sits on has a large hole in it so the fan can draw in air.

I can recall someone saying the 850 was loud but i drew the same conclusion that it couldn't be too loud if it used the same sized fan as the kilowatt version. :(

waiting on a response from thermaltake on this

my pc has sounded like a leaf blower since i began my overclocking adventures. I guess i am just used to it lol. Everyone comes in and is like what is that sound i am like oh its my pc. Unfortunately I dont have the money to experiement with watercooling but that is gona be my next adventure.

my ultra psu sounds like a jet and i can still hear it right now in the closet and this pc is relitivly loud as i gotta get new fans. When people ask my why my pc is so loud i just say thats how u know its good lol.

Tried clocking my quad to defaults and the psu is MUCH quieter. Not really sure why though, it was @ 3.6 with a vcore of 1.35 or around that. Surely clocking the cpu to 3.6 wouldn't make that much difference in terms of power draw on an 850psu?
Certainly not to the extent where one minute the psu fan is quiet and the next its roaring like a friggin hurricane.

System consists of the following

Antec p182

2x 150 raptors
1x 400 ig wd sata
1x dvd rw
1x 120 intake
2x exhausts
1x 120mm scythe for cpu heatsink
1x quad q6600 go
1x 3870x2

This sound faulty to anyone else? :confused:

Well so much for that theory, was quiet for a while at stock cpu speed, left the pc for a while, came back and played tf2 and its roaring away as usual. :mad:

Well so much for that theory, was quiet for a while at stock cpu speed, left the pc for a while, came back and played tf2 and its roaring away as usual. :mad:

Try running a minimal configuration and see if that quiets it down...

I would say if it's overtaking a 2900xt.. something is terribly.. wrong ;)

Still nothings changed, as i said the psu is mounted in the case the standard way they are in the p182's with the fan facing down but in the case it sits on a little platform with a large hole in it so it can intake air. Just wondering is the loud fan specific to the 850, the hardocp review stated the 1200 toughpower was really quiet, wondering if its worthwhile changing, still no reply from thermaltake either. :mad:

my pc has sounded like a leaf blower since i began my overclocking adventures. I guess i am just used to it lol. Everyone comes in and is like what is that sound i am like oh its my pc. Unfortunately I dont have the money to experiement with watercooling but that is gona be my next adventure.

lol, this is probably why I don't overclock. But it's good you can stand loud pc, but if it was me I probably throw it out the window.

My friend has a 1200w and its really quiet. I think something may be wrong if it's louder than a HD 2900XT.

Well today ive ordered some extension calbes so i can flip it round with th fan facing up to see if that makes a difference.

emailed thermaltake last thursday still no response, arseholes. :mad:

Just sent them another message

This is my second message regarding this since thursday of last week. I have owned a toughpower 850 for around 6 months and the psu has just gotten louder and louder over the last few weeks. I can't help but noice this psu is marketed as being "silent". Well you can imagine my suprise when in the middle of a gaming session i had to stop and stick my head out the window to see where the boeing 747 was going to land, only to then realise it was my psu fan roaring away in my case.

I find the level of noise this puts out totally unacceptable, when a fan makes a radeon 2900xt sound tame you know something is wrong. Is it possible to get this exchanged for a more powerful and quieter model (toughpwer 1200?) if i payed the difference or am i stuck with having a psu that sounds like its going to make the case hover downstairs and out the door?

:D

i have a 700 thats damn near silent.... and you cant hear it over my two case fans lol :( i need quieter fans lol

Psh, it's just like a car engine, loud noise means it's really tough :D

?? i think most peoples cars are loud cause they are about to die... that or my moms old datsun 710 wagon was a racecar :confused::confused: and all along i thought that thing was a peice

What's your ambient temp? If the ambient temp around you is pretty high, the PSU fans would have to work harder in order to keep the PSU cool. Noticed this with my Corsair 520HX. During the summer, it was barely noticeable. During the winter, I can't even hear it over my case fans.

And are you sure that it's the PSU and not the video card?

Oh and is there a fan inside the lower bay of that case?

Back