Why can't I use a DVI-HDMI cable, and what about HDMI video cards?

Wonder if its just a communications issue between the sharp and the ATI card?

I'll borrow a friends nVidia system to try soon.

Found this: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Sounds like the card might just need the timings from the monitor to support the 1080P.

Hopefully I can get it working.

BB

Powerstrip did the trick for my X850Pro.

ATI's HDTV implementation just sucks.

powerstrip1080p.jpg

Synced right up.

Had to turn the sharpness almost ALL the way down, and the contrast and brightness are fricken INCREDIBLE.

BB

Powerstrip did the trick for my X850Pro.

ATI's HDTV implementation just sucks.
Which is exactly what I said a few posts back. ;)

AFAIK ATI hasn't updated their HDTV over DVI implementation for a while now which is why ATI still isn't recommended for HTPC usage. Their cards just plain suck in this kind of enviroment.

Yes, yes you did. Still had to tilt at windmills.

question is, how do I set these parameters in the ATI driver without having to use powerstrip.

30 bucks is a bit much for what I need it for.

Hmmmmm....

BB

Trust me, if you are using your HDTV as a monitor, you NEED to run in progressive mode. My 8800 GTX's drivers always default to 1080i when connecting my PC to my Westy 37". I can instantly tell when it's not in progressive mode. The image is slightly fuzzy and i will get a headache from eyestrain within 10 minutes.

That's a lot to pay for a TV, but then again you live in Australia. I bought my Westy for $1000 and i've never had a problem running at 1080p. I love my TV... i bow to it daily.

OP, why do you need to use a DVI-HDMI cable? You couldn't use a DVI-DVI(HDCP)?

EDIT: Nevermind, that HDTV doesn't have DVI inputs.

True with the monitor thing, but that is whay one owns a decent 21~24 inch wide screen pc monitor for said pc.

Yeah TVs are expensive, which why i got me a media centre which lives in another room and streams everything i need to my xbox360 :) which is pumping out 1080i. I dont have to reconvert anything permanently for my 360 tho as it is done on the fly (good old AMD64 3500+ ). And yes if the file u wish to play had AC3 (5.1) embedded it will give me 5.1

I have a hdtv set top box which lives at the back (hanging - designed that way) of my mini cabenit and a small sensor on the tv :). So all i have in the lounge is TV on the wall, small cabinett to the right with 5.1 digital DTX, THX receiver and my xbox 360 ( hole on side of cabenit at back extracting air out, it is a silenx fan rated at 16db)

Err dude HDCP works of HDMI and he could be doing that due to the fact his tv may not have one.. :)

8800GTX v97.92
Sharp 46" 1080p from Costco
Link Depot Dual Link HDMI to DVI 16ft Cable

It goes right to 1080i, wo/ issue. Custom timing in the nvpanel has a checkbox that says, "...HDTV." Checking and rechecking does nothing, but refresh the TV and on the second uncheck/recheck affair, will show the timing. It shows ..., interlaced. If I click edit, it'll show a check by interlaced, but 60hz is selected. If I uncheck interlaced, I only get to use 1/2 my screen and the mouse is jacked because of it. I'm left w/ "guessing" my way around and eventually have to restart to fix it. Sometimes I'll luck out and it'll BSOD and restart on it's own. :(

Powerstrip's advanced timings option is greyed out. I have no idea what to do here...anyone?

Back