Why did command rate become N instead of T?

Mr. Perfect

Limp Gawd
I'm just wondering why manufacturers have started referring to command rate as N instead of T. As far as I can tell, 1T and 1N mean exactly the same thing, but in the last year or two people have started calling it the later.

Any reason why? This isn't anything big, just a self-education kind of thing. :)

It always has been with Intel. However, a few chipset generations ago, you could not change the command rate on Intel chipsets. So, it was seldom talked about.

How long has "always" been? :) I've built primarily AMD systems for my own self, but even back with Socket A it was always referred to as T.

I'll have to look at the few P3s we've got at work(don't ask) and see what they call it...

How long has "always" been? :) I've built primarily AMD systems for my own self, but even back with Socket A it was always referred to as T.

I'll have to look at the few P3s we've got at work(don't ask) and see what they call it...
You may not even see this info on a P3. And, especially if you have OEM type systems.

For me, since the ..... 815 chipset days IIRC. It's been a while. In general, when Intel first made their command rate adjustable on desktop chipsets, it was shown as "N" and not "T". I think that happened on the P965 chipset IIRC. ABIT implemented it on their AB9 Quad MOBO. It was HIGHLY unstable. :p

Yeah, the P3s are all Intel 815 boards. Everything at work is an Intel board, really. Just for fun, I'll have to pay attention to all the old chipsets as they come through, 845s, 865s, and on up and see what, if anything, they say. :)

Thanks. :cool:

IIRC, you won't even see the option in a BIOS for an Intel board until 9** chipsets. I'm almost positive it was never even shown, much less available as an adjustable option on any 8** chipset.

Back