why do my routers keep dying?!

Luca25

Limp Gawd
Over the past couple of years, I've had a lot of wireless network equipment in my house...

in order:

1) Linksys WAP11
2) Netgear MR814
3) Linksys BEFW11S4
4) Netgear WGT624

Each one of these routers has died. Not been switched out for something better. Simply died. Right now I'm borrowing a WRT54g from someone to run my home wireless network, but I really need a router that doesn't die after a few months (the WGT literally I got in...late November maybe?)...

Any suggestions?

Dude, I'm horrible at networking but do you have anything else plugged into the electrical outlet that those routers were plugged into? Or were they all plugged in to the same outlet as each other?

Could be a surge or lack of voltage coming in. If you use the same power brick when you purchase a new router and plug it into an old power brick thinking "it is the same so why bother changing it" you might be using a brick giving faulty voltage.

I know that is a simplistic answer but it is a place to start. I hope it helps.

Routers have been plugged into different outlets (on the same duplex), different surge protectors, I've tried everything...and I made sure to swap out the brick...thanks for the suggestion thought

Maybe you just have bad luck with SOHO routers? It does happen...

What kind of budget do you have for a new device? This will help everyone give you a more informed response...

My hunch is you have some dirty power. Put them, and the modem, on a small battery backup unit. You don't need a huge one..just an inexpensive 45 dollar one like an APC es350. It conditions the power...so your devices are getting good clean power.

Back