Why do so many people like the Bitfenix Prodigy?

sladesurfer

[H]ard|Gawd
A member posted this question in another forum. Just wanna see what opinion u guys have. He did have a valid point. ;)

"I thought the whole point of an ITX case was to build a small but powerful system. The Prodigy measures 250 x 404 x 359mm, which makes it larger than most micro-ATX cases. The Silverstone TJ08-E, for example, measures 210mm x 374mm x 385mm.

In terms of volume, then, the TJ08-E is actually 17% smaller than the Prodigy. But the TJ08-E can fit an SLI setup and a micro-ATX board.

So here is my question. What's the point of an ITX case like the Prodigy if there are great micro-ATX cases that are smaller?"

You certainly bring up a good point. I had no idea the Prodigy was that big.

I was also thinking the 'handle' things on the top and bottom are not helpful in keeping the size down. Although it doesn't look bad it kind of defeats the goal of having a really tiny ITX format case- which most ITX users are looking for.

It maybe the size of some MATX cases. But it's made for an extreme water cooling setup. Not many MATX cases can take a 240 rad, a 200mm rad, all the blocks, pump, res, and still fit 5 hdd's along with a 690.

There are smaller ITX cases for people who are not doing extreme water builds. But that's what it's made for.

Sheesh - Why do we have to start another thread on why we should love/hate this case? It's a personal choice, really:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1704884&highlight=bitfenix+prodigy

Too big isn't a flaw in a case - it doesn't make it function any worse unless your specific need requires a smaller one - maybe you live in a walk-in closet or you constantly go to LAN parties and don't have the strength or size to carry such an insanely huge case... :D:D:D

If you don't like it because it's larger than you prefer or can deal with - just don't get it, it's as simple as that.

If you like it and have room - it seems to be a pretty sweet case - imaginative, even - I don't see a single reason why you shouldn't get it.

It may not be the smallest Mini-ITX case - but it still is relatively compact - and it does have several features that other cases lack.

Now - incredibly poor airflow, having incurable rattles when new, shoddy workmanship and/or materials, ports that don't work, etc - those are flaws.

I'm not personally invested in this topic because I want a bigger ATX case ASAP - but that's because I'm keeping my setup and need to get 8 expansion slots to move my 2nd GPU down to my bottom mobo slot - and would like an additional bottom intake fan location.

My current case is very cramped and my GPUs are sandwiched next to each other because of the PCIe slot layout of my motherboard.

Someday, however - I might build a new rig with a top-tier processor & a single top-tier GPU (or dual GPU on a single PCB) - and Mini-ITX boards have been improving lately. The Prodigy would be a great choice for me because it offers many different cooling options and I like the design both inside and out.

I was also thinking the 'handle' things on the top and bottom are not helpful in keeping the size down. Although it doesn't look bad it kind of defeats the goal of having a really tiny ITX format case- which most ITX users are looking for.

The handles aren't helping in putting a 280mm rad, 2x optical bays, 1x3.5" bays, and mATX board either. They're for both aesthetics and protection (shock absorber)
The real workable space, the space where you can put a motherboard, whether it is mATX or ITX is 250 x 310 x 340. You just can't fit that much in that size.

Back