Why do so many sellers say no Paypal-CC payment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothman

Supreme [H]ardness
Just curious as to why this is. Is there an inherent problem with accepting Paypal paymnets via credit card?

Fees, it used to be that if you did a non-cc transfer on paypal there were no fees but that time has long since passed. I'm not sure if there is still a difference in the fee rates.

However, Amazon Payments doesn't charge you regardless of the payment method so many of us have moved to that.

but in most cases it's unwarranted to me, because we are talking $2 or $5 in most cases.......i would much rather stick with one payment system and pay a small fee for the convenience.

not to mention most of us used it to transfer funds for free for many years before the fees.......so when you amortize it across all the years and transactions, it's really no big deal and certainly not worth setting an entire separate account, requiring your customers to set up separate accounts also......

sometimes there is such a thing as being too cheap

but in most cases it's unwarranted to me, because we are talking $2 or $5 in most cases.......i would much rather stick with one payment system and pay a small fee for the convenience.

not to mention most of us used it to transfer funds for free for many years before the fees.......so when you amortize it across all the years and transactions, it's really no big deal and certainly not worth setting an entire separate account, requiring your customers to set up separate accounts also......

sometimes there is such a thing as being too cheap

I completely disagree, the only reason people are buying in the FS/FT section is because they are looking for a bargain. By the same logic you applied, those $2-5 fees add up over purchases.

In any case, almost everyone has an Amazon account anyway and given that it is literally about 2 clicks and a bank account number to set up Amazon payments. If that is too much work for the person I am doing business with, then I don't have confidence they would have the energy to follow through on their side of the deal anyway. :rolleyes:

Honestly, yes, I would rather pay the 2% fee so we're talking more like nickels in order to not have to juggle multiple accounts. Fuck $2. Fuck $5. I don't have money to burn but my time is worth money. You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not going to nickel and dime someone on a purchase so I don't expect to be nickeled and.dimed either. Its like rebates. I don't pimp myself out and play their games to get a rebate. Its insulting. /rant but I wanted you to understand why I say what I said. I'm not selling my convenience for a buck.

The problem is the the fees isn't coming out from you but from the seller.

If he sells an item for $20 shipped and you sent him $20. The fees is going to come out of the $20 and the seller loses money.

After 20 transaction it starts to add up.

The seller could charge an additional fee for the paypal fees but that would be breaking the rules.

The problem is the the fees isn't coming out from you but from the seller.

If he sells an item for $20 shipped and you sent him $20. The fees is going to come out of the $20 and the seller loses money.

After 20 transaction it starts to add up.

The seller could charge an additional fee for the paypal fees but that would be breaking the rules.

Its a really simple concept guys. You want to clear $20 on something? Ask for $25 and now you're covered. Really simple. Its called the cost of doing business. It is about the fees and people being ridiculously cheap.

IRC the fee on PP is the same be it a credit card or bank transfer.

I ask for non-cc because the buyer could always do a charge back and I would be screwed. With a bank transfer you can't do that.

its 3% so for $20 that would be a measely 60 cents. gee thats such a huge loss to the seller...a whole 60 cents omg the sky is falling

Its a really simple concept guys. You want to clear $20 on something? Ask for $25 and now you're covered. Really simple. Its called the cost of doing business. It is about the fees and people being ridiculously cheap.

Or... you can pay with a different method run by a company who's history isn't defined entirely by screwing it's customers every chance it gets all while paying NO fee.

You're right, your way is better.... :rolleyes:

its 3% so for $20 that would be a measely 60 cents. gee thats such a huge loss to the seller...a whole 60 cents omg the sky is falling

Its actually 90 cents. 30 cents per transaction and 3%. As for why so many people ask for non-cc I assume its a relic from the past when personal paypal accounts would not be charged fees for non-cc payments.

These days someone doesn't even know whether you send payment by paypal balance or CC. It just says instant either way so I don't even know why people bother.

Personally I just add the appropriate amount to cover the fees for Paypal (even though they say not to do that), but usually because I've had people ask for gift payments to avoid the fees. However, I don't trust anyone with *my* money.

I'm going to move to Amazon Payment...eventually.

Fees are long irrelevant. Bottom line is this if you cannot even trust a reputable established member with a gift payment, then why should the seller put themselves in the reverse position of being vulnerable to a fraudulent chargeback? It's not just losing the money either. Your PP account can get frozen and be charged a processing fee for the chargeback in that order.

Fees are long irrelevant. Bottom line is this if you cannot even trust a reputable established member with a gift payment, then why should the seller put themselves in the reverse position of being vulnerable to a fraudulent chargeback? It's not just losing the money either. Your PP account can get frozen and be charged a processing fee for the chargeback in that order.

I've seen plenty of so and so sent me non-disclosed damaged/doa/nothing threads here. Its happened to me twice is 3 months. However, I have never seen a seller complain about a buyer doing a cc chargeback afterwards here (I'm sure its happened but I think it would be extremely rare). That's why for anything over $75 there's no way I'm sending a gift payment. I would rather pay the fee myself.

Or... you can pay with a different method run by a company who's history isn't defined entirely by screwing it's customers every chance it gets all while paying NO fee.

You're right, your way is better.... :rolleyes:

yet somehow I've been a member since way way back and have done thousands of dollars of transactions and NEVER ONCE had any trouble with any transaction. I've had it linked to my checking account the whole time and also carry their debit card that pulls directly from my paypal account.....seamless

is it coincodince? or could it be i just dont accept high risk transactions in order to "get a deal to save $10"? that's most likely, that i properly screen my potential customers and vendors......and i don't take risks

In any case, almost everyone has an Amazon account anyway and given that it is literally about 2 clicks and a bank account number to set up Amazon payments. If that is too much work for the person I am doing business with, then I don't have confidence they would have the energy to follow through on their side of the deal anyway. :rolleyes:
Sadly, Amazon Payments is not available in Canada.

Amazon's seller/buyer protection is better than Paypal's IMHO and they don't charge any fees. Again, I don't see why people fight setting up an Amazon Payments account and mess around with gift payments when that post you made took longer than setting up the account would...

Sadly, Amazon Payments is not available in Canada.

Well that sucks, although in any case the fees and taxes associated with international shipping far exceed the PayPal cost.

yet somehow I've been a member since way way back and have done thousands of dollars of transactions and NEVER ONCE had any trouble with any transaction. I've had it linked to my checking account the whole time and also carry their debit card that pulls directly from my paypal account.....seamless

is it coincodince? or could it be i just dont accept high risk transactions in order to "get a deal to save $10"? that's most likely, that i properly screen my potential customers and vendors......and i don't take risks

All that is certainly a wonderful story. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Paypal's reputation is well documented and deserved. Amazon's reputation is equally so.

One of them is known for being a ruthless piece of shit that doesn't give a crap about your money. The other one is Amazon.

Feel free to continue your ranting though.

I would assume it's because Credit Card Chargebacks are possible, but Bank Account Chargebacks are near impossible (unless somehow paypal approved the payment when account balance isn't enough, or the account was open fraudently somehow)

I dont know if it changed, but you could accept 4-5 credit card payment with Personal account, then you would be charged much higher fees. i dont know if it changed.

All that is certainly a wonderful story. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Paypal's reputation is well documented and deserved. Amazon's reputation is equally so.

One of them is known for being a ruthless piece of shit that doesn't give a crap about your money. The other one is Amazon.

Feel free to continue your ranting though.

You cited some sort of trouble with paypal as a reason to not use them. I told you I've been a member for years with many transactions and never a bit of trouble. Sounds completely relevant and on the subject of your quoted text to me.

And wheres the rant? I simply responded to your post. Perhaps you should relax.

You cited some sort of trouble with paypal as a reason to not use them. I told you I've been a member for years with many transactions and never a bit of trouble. Sounds completely relevant and on the subject of your quoted text to me.

And wheres the rant? I simply responded to your post. Perhaps you should relax.

I cited their reputation. The fact that you haven't had an issue does not change their reputation. The problems with PayPal are widely known and documented. The same can not be said for Amazon.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree. We are off topic anyway.

I cited their reputation. The fact that you haven't had an issue does not change their reputation. The problems with PayPal are widely known and documented. The same can not be said for Amazon.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree. We are off topic anyway.

This isn't off topic, this is the very reason some people stop using paypal which is what the OP asked about. Most of it is misinformation.

I don't make my decisions based on other peoples experience because other people tend to tell you what they want you to believe. If someone asks me what I think about paypal I tell them its great, because it has been. I don't really give a damn what some random internet kids experience was.

Many of the horror stories you read on the internet are trumped up or greatly exaggerated or the person left out very relevant information and these things in the end, (if you believe what you read on the internet), causes people like yourself to make innaccurate claims.

Many times there is a very legitimate reason people get funds taken or other such things. Those kids are not going to go onto the internet and tell the entire truth. They are going to tell people they got screwed by paypal and then a bunch of other kids will believe them because its the cool thing to do, hate paypal, use Amazon. Truth is I believe Amazon gives less protection.

I'm just making the point that paypal is perfectly fine for many people and unless you can prove you were personally harmed by paypal when you did everything by the books, you should not be providing opinions.

Last edited:
Honestly, yes, I would rather pay the 2% fee so we're talking more like nickels in order to not have to juggle multiple accounts. Fuck $2. Fuck $5. I don't have money to burn but my time is worth money. You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not going to nickel and dime someone on a purchase so I don't expect to be nickeled and.dimed either. Its like rebates. I don't pimp myself out and play their games to get a rebate. Its insulting. /rant but I wanted you to understand why I say what I said. I'm not selling my convenience for a buck.

It takes 2 minutes to set up an Amazon Payment account... 10-15 seconds to log in.

Are you paid 150$ an hour?

If I'm selling to someone with no heat I'll ask for non-cc paypal for one reason - you can't issue a chargeback from the bank.

there's no seller protection when it comes down to paypal being unable to reobtain funds from a shady buyer.

Keep in mind that while you can upgrade a personal account to a premier account, it's nearly impossible to downgrade back to a personal account after upgrading. So for those of us who primarily use our accounts with people we trust instead of selling things on forums/ebay we don't necessarily want to upgrade to a premier account just to accept a credit card payment.

Because PP used to only let you accept 5 CC payments per month without losing your "personal" account status.

Keep in mind that while you can upgrade a personal account to a premier account, it's nearly impossible to downgrade back to a personal account after upgrading. So for those of us who primarily use our accounts with people we trust instead of selling things on forums/ebay we don't necessarily want to upgrade to a premier account just to accept a credit card payment.

That's not the case any more. All fees are the same no matter the account type now. I really don't think there's much if any difference between personal and premier anymore. As I said before you don't even know if someone is sending you a CC payment or not. It just states "instant" regardless.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

Or I can use paypal like I have for many years. Sorry. Can't be bothered.

Agreed. I tried to buy from someone who insisted on Amazon payment, and I tried to set up an account, and never heard back from them. All this, while I had $$ sitting in a PP account. I gave up and bought from someone else.
As a seller, I try to be as flexible as possible in the type of payments I receive. I usually take PP, CC, MO, Cash, or check (item ships when check clears.) PP I usually ask to send as a Gift, that way the buyer pays the fees. On all other forums I specify to add 3% if using CC (why is it not allowed here?) and so I don't cut my profit.

I recently started using Amazon payments and they state that bank transfers take 5-7 days.
AND THAT SUCKS.
Im still waiting for something to clear from a few days ago.

Ohhh boo-hoo....PayPal is a good way to buy & sell & Amazon sucks becasue it allows trolls to rip buyers off & they don't like the fact that PayPal can yank the funds if there's a dispute. Good sellers don't worry about that, only the bad ones who can't do it right or mislead their buyers...Boo-Hoo...If you want my money it's PayPal invoice only & don't try to tell me no-one does business that way because my HeatWare speaks for itself, all [H] members & all invoice transactions through PayPal...

Amazon also sucks because they do nothing to protect buyers from scam-artists & it takes days for a payment to clear while I can use my verified account to make an instant payment, ZAP! right into your account instantly...bu-bye!!!

Agreed. I tried to buy from someone who insisted on Amazon payment, and I tried to set up an account, and never heard back from them. All this, while I had $$ sitting in a PP account. I gave up and bought from someone else.
As a seller, I try to be as flexible as possible in the type of payments I receive. I usually take PP, CC, MO, Cash, or check (item ships when check clears.) PP I usually ask to send as a Gift, that way the buyer pays the fees. On all other forums I specify to add 3% if using CC (why is it not allowed here?) and so I don't cut my profit.

I would never send a payment for something as a 'gift'...It completely takes away any responsibility as a seller to make good on the transaction & trolls try this trick all the time...I'm not saying anyone is a troll but as a buyer I won't send money as 'gifts' for this very reason...If you're that much of a skin-flint that you make the buyer pay the transaction fee then I don't want to deal with you...I'm looking for a bargain not to make you a profit...This isn't Wal-Fart... bla-bla BLA!
:p

Actually, most of the long time experienced people who sell on forums, at least way back when, only accepted payments as gifts. I personally dont have a problem incurring small transaction fees, but anything big I definitely only accept gift payments. The whole point of selling on forums is to give good prices and not incur fees. If I wanted fees, id just sell on ebay. If buyers want to pay fees so they can be protected, that is their business.

Buy/Sell/Trade with good buyers with a lot of feedback and you shouldnt have to worry about any issues. Ive been doing this stuff for a long time and I never have had problems with any gift payments nor find people complain about it either.

Think about it this way. It is kind of the same thing as sending a money order/cashier check etc.

In addition, sellers can just include fees in their pricing then not worry about it and buyers pay for fees without knowing. This also works.

Last edited:
Actually, most of the long time experienced people who sell on forums, at least way back when, only accepted payments as gifts. I personally dont have a problem incurring small transaction fees, but anything big I definitely only accept gift payments. The whole point of selling on forums is to give good prices and not incur fees. If I wanted fees, id just sell on ebay. If buyers want to pay fees so they can be protected, that is their business.

Buy/Sell/Trade with good buyers with a lot of feedback and you shouldnt have to worry about any issues. Ive been doing this stuff for a long time and I never have had problems with any gift payments nor find people complain about it either.

Think about it this way. It is kind of the same thing as sending a money order/cashier check etc.

In addition, sellers can just include fees in their pricing then not worry about it and buyers pay for fees without knowing. This also works.

I would prefer you to include the fee directly into the transaction so I have a sense of commitment from the seller.

After all, the seller receives my money instantly while I have to wait for it to arrive in the conditon they agreed upon. If it doesn't arrive 'as described', or at all, I then have to go through a lengthy process to remedy the situation with the seller & hope he isn't a troll, a jerk or an idiot. We all know there are plenty of them to go around & if a seller insists on a 'gift' type of transaction, I won't buy from them. The deal is off....

I had an eBay seller openly violate eBay TOS and make me cover the additional PP fees and eBay fees incurred on his sale via inflated shipping costs.

I brought it up with him and his simple response was "I sell items on eBay and it is my livelihood. I do not sell for charity. If you don't like my methods, don't buy my item."

I shrugged, sucked it up and paid. I can dig that.

But in the case of people selling second hand parts trying to bridge the gap over what they spent before and what they spend on their upgrade... no I don't agree in the buyer having to cover the fees.

So if they say non-CC, then non-CC. They are within their rights to stipulate what they accept as payment.

I don't mind the fees, its that they can do a charge back through there CC not even paypal and screw you over.

since you have never had a problem with paypal, can you tell them to give me my 100 dollars they magically lost?

:facepalm: thats right paypal never has issues..

What's the consensus on storing large sums of money in paypal? Lets put it at 3K. Good or bad idea?

since you have never had a problem with paypal, can you tell them to give me my 100 dollars they magically lost?

:facepalm: thats right paypal never has issues..

There's a logical explanation I am sure. Would have to delve into the details no doubt. I suppose when on the paypal hate train it is acceptable to provide anecdotal claims of thievery by big bad paypal. Of course if it was as simple as one day your balance just drops $100 out of nowhere and you contacted them they would have a simple explanation. But I am also sure you have some long drawn out multi-exchange fiasco where according to your math you should have ended up $100 to the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back