Why do virtually no high end monitors have a glossy coat?

tybert7

2[H]4U
Here is an example of a supposedly excellent monitor in terms of color accuracy. But it has the typical matte finish for the screen.

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/hd2441w/index.asp

Is there a technical reason most monitors of this caliber are almost all matte?

The only one I have seen that is not was attached to the 24" imac, and I am not ready to convert there just yet.

Reasoning is probably due to standards relating to office display ergonomics. I think there are 3 grades that cover screen glare & the amount of reflectivity allowed.
  • Displays that are suitable for any office lighting condition
  • Displays that are suitable in specific light controlled conditions
  • Displays that don't meet the requirements i.e. too much glare or too reflecitive
Obviously it's easier to sell lots screens if you can make them suitable for any office & corporate buyers.

If you want to find out exactly which standard it is and what it says try google, it'll be one of the 'compliant standards' or 'certificates' listed on the spec sheet of every monitor

EIZO FP2400W
Glossy panel is a cost option the EIZO displays, the 24" glass panel is FP2400W http://www.eizo.com/products/accessories/lcd/protectors/index.asp

They cheat on colors.

Not quite, a matt surface will help with viewing angles by making the light diffuse but can give rise to dark speckles on the screen. A matt screen may also be unable to resolve very fine lines & detail.

Best IQ & maximum visible resolution is derived from a smooth reflecting screen in a light controlled environment. Ambient light should be low & the screen calibrated with the backlight as low as possible (this apparently will also help maximise the view angles)

None of this is 'cheating' as you put it - choosing the correct filter is critical for the product designer & the end user should choose the right screen to do what they need

HP makes a glossy 24" as well.

Really not 'high end' by any definition unfortunately. You could add the similar Acer & NEC gamers 24" panels to that list. All feature TN panels though...

I don't understand why anyone would want a glossy screen. We have the new iMacs and all you can see on the screen is yourself, the florescent lights, and fingerprints.

I don't understand why anyone would want a glossy screen. We have the new iMacs and all you can see on the screen is yourself, the florescent lights, and fingerprints.
The colors are richer with more depth to the image. Blacks also appear darker, but that is more based on a subjective viewpoint, rather than hard specs. It's a personal choice.

I agree that in an office environment or any very bright setting, matte screens are overall better because they won't reflect the light sources.

Hp has a glossy 24" but it's on TN, also i think acer just introduced nice cheap model with HDMI, DVI and glossy screen but it's on TN too.

Hp has a glossy 24" but it's on TN, also i think acer just introduced nice cheap model with HDMI, DVI and glossy screen but it's on TN too.

Yes, that is why I was restricting it to higher end panels. I have seen the HP up close and it is OK, but has nothing on that imac screen.

Because image clarity is Superior. I prefer superior image quality to inferior image quality.

Some do not.

Smudges seen in a store mean little, I never touch my screens, that is a non issue. The screen will not be a demo in front of the masses. If people cannot find the capacity not to put their fingers on the screen (for god knows what reason), then they need more help than any forum can give.

As for the lighting issue, for personal home use this is fine as well. Lighting is far more under ones control. In an office not as much. But most people do not Live in an office, perhaps some posters do. I do not.

I have the capacity to not put the monitor in front of a window or a large lightsource directly behind it. Aparently not doing this in a home is beyond some people, but not to many of us.

The objections are trivial in a home use where a child could arrange the monitor so as not to have bad issues with glare. And the bottom line is that you get a Crisper and sharper image. I would take that ANY day.

But then people have different priorities. Mine are image clarity. Others take reflections in ALL circumstances as the paragon of details.

Back