Why Do You Need More Than 6GB of Memory?

Absolutely.

To my surprise I just found that while G.Skill has gone up to crazy prices for DDR2 RAM, OCZ are rather attractive compared to them.

OCZ Vista Upgrade Edition P45 - Kit 8 GB ... for 180 Euro = $252.-
OCZ Gold P45 - Kit 8 GB ... for 200 Euro = $280.-
G.SKILL F2-6400CL6D-8GBMQ - Kit 8 GB ... for 300 Euro = $420.-

I'm just not sure if they'd exchange the modules when having compatibility issues, hmm.

You're looking at old g.skill memory, that's why your price is so high.

Their newer 8gb kit is F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI. It is US$139 on newegg.

These are 4 x 2 GB modules, but my motherboard has only two banks.

That's pretty typical for me (8GB). With F@H SMP, F@H GPU, DisplayFusion, iTunes, FileZilla Server, Outlook, other Office programs, Trillian, IM-History, anti-virus, FlashGet, Live Mesh, Logitech software, Skype and VirtualCloneDrive going, I usually don't top 4GB. Put a game on top and I usually see about 700-900MB additional used. I can leave Rhinoceros and 3ds max open (minimized) while I game. If the game doesn't freak (some do), I can alt-tab out of them.

I regularly max out my 8gb of ram working with large format print documents in Photoshop. Though I doubt many people work on documents that large so, ymmv. We're talking large though, like signage and banner type work @ 600dpi in a CMYK color space.

I regularly max out my 8gb of ram working with large format print documents in Photoshop. Though I doubt many people work on documents that large so, ymmv. We're talking large though, like signage and banner type work @ 600dpi in a CMYK color space.

Again you are one of the few people that need that much RAM and you already knew that. For the average Joe and your average enthusiasts more than 6GB is really not necessary.

For the average Joe and your average enthusiasts more than 6GB is really not necessary.

Yah, that average Joe fella, he's causing me a world of grief to no end... ;)

"average enthusiasts" <<<--- That just doesn't sound right no matter how you look at it. hehe

In response to the removal of the triple channel memory from the latest intel chipset: I'm actually a bit bummed. Sure, a home user wouldn't need those extra two slots, but I was looking forward to building a relatively inexpensive*, but powerful machine for image processing; a typical 4-d matrix of say, 2000x5000x10x4 pixels (x,y,z,channel) uses about 3gigs a piece in Matlab.

I would say the average user wouldn't need more than even 4gb of RAM; but for the minority user with large memory needs and a tight budget, the potential for 24gb of RAM would be great (sadly, no 4gb triple channel memory out just yet :().

Alas, the key word is 'minority' ;)

(*relatively inexpensive in comparison to buying a workstation, say, through Dell, where you get costlier components like what's basically a server mobo with fb-dimms, a xeon processor and an nvidia workstation gfx card--not much software, as least none that I use, can really make use of these components optimally).

In response to the removal of the triple channel memory from the latest intel chipset: I'm actually a bit bummed. Sure, a home user wouldn't need those extra two slots, but I was looking forward to building a relatively inexpensive*, but powerful machine for image processing; a typical 4-d matrix of say, 2000x5000x10x4 pixels (x,y,z,channel) uses about 3gigs a piece in Matlab. .

Why are you bummed? Intel still has Bloomfield and X58 so they did not "remove" anything. They simply added a new product to hit a different price point.

So if we're going to have 12+ GB of memory, what's the point of a page file that matches the RAM in size? Then again, I wonder if there's even any performance hit with having a page file enabled in the first place.

In response to the removal of the triple channel memory from the latest intel chipset: I'm actually a bit bummed. Sure, a home user wouldn't need those extra two slots, but I was looking forward to building a relatively inexpensive*, but powerful machine for image processing; a typical 4-d matrix of say, 2000x5000x10x4 pixels (x,y,z,channel) uses about 3gigs a piece in Matlab.

I would say the average user wouldn't need more than even 4gb of RAM; but for the minority user with large memory needs and a tight budget, the potential for 24gb of RAM would be great (sadly, no 4gb triple channel memory out just yet :().

Alas, the key word is 'minority' ;)

(*relatively inexpensive in comparison to buying a workstation, say, through Dell, where you get costlier components like what's basically a server mobo with fb-dimms, a xeon processor and an nvidia workstation gfx card--not much software, as least none that I use, can really make use of these components optimally).
Historically, Intel's ultra-high-end has historically been their testing ground for what will be the next mainstream. (No, that doesn't apply to speed bump.) When s1366 i7 came out, Intel used it as a proving ground for standards that have since migrated to the workstation/server market. Since enthusiasts don't need the same level of .000000001% downtime, it's a cost-effective form of QA. Triple-channel wasn't geared towards home users, even in theory- it was an experiment in how to add bandwidth to the very dependent professional side.

over 4 is overkill currently atm unless u got a i7 than 6gb is due to triple channel

The validity of this remark depends entirely on the application of the system. Some workloads require gobs of it.

I also overlooked the completely obvious choice: "To feed the addiction." (I know that's my excuse, and I just had a relapse again. :()

If you can choose between upgrading the OS to Windows 7 (previously running Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate) or adding another 6Gb of memory (currently have 6Gb now) to my x58 system, which would you choose?

If you can choose between upgrading the OS to Windows 7 (previously running Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate) or adding another 6Gb of memory (currently have 6Gb now) to my x58 system, which would you choose?
If what you need to get done with that much memory works in Vista, I think the choice is obvious.

I'm in the process of moving from a Q6600 w/8gb to an i7 with 12gb (more when 4gb dimms drop in price). The only reason is SQL server and a few VM's (oh and that I can sell the cpu/mobo/ ram for more than I paid for it two years on), in fact the cpu is fine, I even clocked the it back to 2.4ghz because the extra speed was unneeded:eek:

It's funny that right now ECC is cheaper than vanilla ram (never seen that before), so it looks like I will go with that.

Anyway glad to see I'm not the only one who can't get enough ram!

I wish I could NOT re-boot as much but I just don't feel comfortable leaving
a H2O rig running unattended. I do use sleep sometimes but the old
school thinking discourages this as well. I don't know why. Do you?

Back