Why does CPU-Z say e8400 is 2GHz?

earl grey

n00b
Even under load it stays at 2GHz. Shouldnt it change up to 3GHz? Its on a DS3L with F8a all default. Whats going on here?

Go into bios and cut off......
1) C1E
2) CPU TM Function
3) Intel SpeedStep {Only this on may do it for you, but i like all 3 off}

Good Day

What do these do? I would still like it to downclock when the cpu is idle.

Edit

Ok I went in and disabled those and now its showing as 3GHz. I cant believe I never saw this before. And why was it not changing to 3GHz in the first place?

Then you answered your own question leave it be. As that is what it does down-clock it while it isn't being used. You simple can't have both.

Good Day

Yes but while it is being used it SHOULD go to 3GHz but it didnt, it staed at 2GHz. Whats the point of having it if it doesnt work?

speedstep lowers the multiplier to 6x when your processor is not in use (2ghz) and back up to 9x (3ghz) when its in use.

If the application wasn't demanding enough CPU power, then it won't step up. Run Orthos and watch the multiplier bump back up.

Ok this is really weird. I took some super pi readings for 512K at @ 3GHz it was around 15sec to do it. Then I went and set everything back to how it was before and ran it again. It did it in 10.8 seconds. What the hell is going on here?

Edit

This is on Vista64

And if I do the XS bench with Real Temp 2.24 the score is only 458 when it should be 1000.

EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) does not generally affect the FSB and is in fact typically the CPU reducing its frequency internally based on loading. Effectively the multiplier is changed. It should be noted that with EIST, the voltage may also be reduced by the CPU by dynamically changing the VID it is reporting.

Intel glossery said:
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® technology enables real-time dynamic switching of the voltage and frequency between two performance modes based on processor demand. This occurs by switching the system bus ratios, core operating voltage, and core processor speeds without resetting the system. The Mobile Pentium® III Processor – M is available at the following frequencies and voltages (Maximum Performance mode/Battery Optimized mode): 1133/733 MHz, 1066/733 MHz, 1000/733 MHz, 933/733 MHz and 866/667 MHz at 1.40V/1.15V.

Not sure about the Super-Pi but trry it with 1meg as that is what everyone uses. Perhaps the small 512K doesn't add enough strain to make it cycle up fast enough. And your times should be way faster then that on 512K anyway. I know on stock i get around 14.5 seconds on my e8400 and @ 4.5 gighrz it goes 10.2 odd seconds. Could be your ram settings int he bios also check those to see if they are set properly.

I'll check on the Xs bench i just got it and report back.
Seems their site is down and no links works, so i can't help you on that one. And i haven't seen where no one else has it for download.

Good Day

Okay found the Xs Benchmark finally ands ran it. Not sure if it is close to being right as i am downloading steam and browsing but this was my end score.

3:35:48 Total

After steam gets done i will re-run it and post the results then. If steam ever gets done, that is the slowest downloading thing i ever seen.

Good Day

I think I fixed it all by changing the ratio to 1:1. Something screwy was happening when it was 5:6.

I think I fixed it all by changing the ratio to 1:1. Something screwy was happening when it was 5:6.

Yes, 1:1 is great only way to use it imho. Unless your ram willn't cut it then yes use a divider. Re-ran the test with nothing else going @ stock 3.0gighrz and got 2:20:53. Enjoy your machine now, glad you got it sorted.

Almost forgot here is a S.S. of the test done.

Good Day

Back