Why does my Westy have a bruise? (pics)

G'morning all,

For several months, maybe even pushing a year?, now, my Westinghouse 37" LVM-37W3 has shown something that I call a bruise on the right half of the monitor. It's most noticeable on shades of grey,
such as on [H] or Steam, but it does show up less strongly on some other colors. I've posted about it in the past on [H], but today, it's taken a turn for the worse.

Today, a very distinct bar showed up. It's like something behind the monitor is pressing against the screen. Lo and behold...

IMG_4462sm.jpg

IMG_4459sm.jpg

IMG_4463sm.jpg

When I look through the slits on top of the monitor I can see that that's exactly where it is.

Could I possibly take the rear casing off the monitor and try to loosen whatever this is? Or do I have to resign myself to living with this until I can afford a new monitor (or buy that used Westy)?

Thank you for reading!

you can definitely try removing the casing to see if there is a screw that's a little too tight inside or there is pressure from something else

still, westinghouse isn't really great as it is so that might also explain why

Ya OP, you can definitely remove the case from the rear.

Always have the power disconnected, and if you're working on carpet be sure to ground yourself every once in a while to dissipate any static you're carrying, this way your fingers won't zap any of the electronics inside.

After you've finished, try flashing some solid-color patterns to help the bruised pixels out (may not do a thing but worth trying)

Good luck either way, curious to hear how it turns out.

Does anyone know if there are any diagrams or manuals on what to remove, or do I just have to fiddle around with screws and holes until it falls off? :D

I had a westy monitor which also had this "bruise" stripe but it was not as visible as yours. Basically you could only see it at a lot above or below horizontal. I didn't investigate because it really wasn't visible from normal viewing angles.

If you are careful you should be able to take the monitor partially apart to confirm that no mechanical distortions are taking place, though.

I'd always thought with mine that either a section of the vertical filter is messed up or a section of the panel has some problem with the fabrication. i.e. some of the transistors are a little off-spec. However, since they are micron-sized, integrated electronics (LCD's are basically one big computer chip) there is no way you could address it.

It looks like bad image retention to me.
Something was previously displayed for a very long time and/or the monitor was operated in high temperature and the image is burnt in.
It may not be permanent.

Leave the screen on overnight with a completely white image, RGB 255,255,255 and that will hopefully improve it a lot or eradicate it.
For normal use. make sure the screen isnt getting too hot as the problem can occur again if that was the cause.

Welcome to the dark vertical banding and smearing problems of the Westinghouse monitors.

You can do two things. Turn it off and unplug it. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then turn it back and see if they are gone. You can also try a white screen - leave it on all night long. Dead pixel buddy will let you do this. I bet you can't see those problems on a light colored background.

If neither works then it's permanent. This is a known issue with these displays.

Leave the screen on overnight with a completely white image, RGB 255,255,255 and that will hopefully improve it a lot or eradicate it.
For normal use. make sure the screen isnt getting too hot as the problem can occur again if that was the cause.

What is too hot? :confused: It's very warm to the touch, but not what I'd call hot.

I'll try leaving it on a pure white screen tomorrow when I go to work; EVEREST has an option for that (and a bunch of other diagnostics).

You can do two things. Turn it off and unplug it. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then turn it back and see if they are gone.

I've done that before for other reasons, it may have gotten SLIGHTLY better but it was still very noticeable. Thanks for the rest of the info though.

What is too hot? :confused: It's very warm to the touch, but not what I'd call hot.

Hot is just a term but from your description, that does sound like the screen is too high a temp (too hot :)).
It will help to keep it hot while you do the white screen overnight but afterwards when using it, I recommend at least low airflow past the TV.
Use a low power housefan to blow air near/on the TV if necessary.

Back