Why does no one make a wireless mechanical keyboard?

TotalLamer

Gawd
Call me OCD... but I can't STAND wires going across my nice clean desk... it just looks so cluttered. :mad: But no one makes a wireless mechanical keyboard... or even a wireless non-mechanical gaming keyboard at all, really. Why is this?

There is one: http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wi...62FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328451295&sr=8-1

I don't recommend you rush out and buy it. I bought one about a year ago, but eventually stopped using it. Things I didn't like:

1. It slightly taller than a normal keyboard. The included wrist pad is poorly attached if you decide to use that

2. Not as well built as other mechanicals. I say this based on comparing with my wired Filco Majestouch

3. Will not work with rechargeable batteries. (at least the Apple branded ones, which I think are equivalent to the Sanyo Enerloops) Apparently the voltage is too low. That being said, battery life is pretty good otherwise.

4. Occasionally, loses connection or registers too many keystrokes. Might be wireless interference, but my other wireless devices don't have any issues.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm... I wonder why there's only that one? Do mechanical keyboards somehow use more power than rubber dome keyboards, thus making wireless less feasible? I can't imagine that's so. I just can't see what would stop vendors from making them...

I'm assuming it's because most mechanical keyboards are already pretty expensive as it is, so making them wireless would raise the cost even more, pushing them deeper into the fringes of their already niche market.

Very niche high end market indeed...But if one can control a bunch of stuff, it may be worth taking a look at. The Taiwanese made KBtalKing Pro just got released (well, almost). Seems to be made for the hardcore users and engineers, etc. kbtalkingusa.com

If you are going to go high-end-niche market, why not add to the list wireless AND LED backlit? It can't be that expensive to throw a lipo battery in there ;)

Oh...and a base made out of metal...

i guess most mechanical keyboard users like their wires
no changing batteries once a year and no possible radio interference

luckily its not to difficult to upgrade your keyboard into a wireless one
you just need all day hooking it up to some cheap wireless keyboard's electronics

i guess most mechanical keyboard users like their wires
no changing batteries once a year and no possible radio interference

luckily its not to difficult to upgrade your keyboard into a wireless one
you just need all day hooking it up to some cheap wireless keyboard's electronics

Only thing more annoying than wires, is having to change or find batteries.

There isn't really a market for mechanical wireless keyboards.
Gaming grade wireless is really expensive. A wireless mouse that actually performs well enough to game on costs around $100. Regular wired mice and regular wireless mice are easily under $50.

There aren't many people that are such extreme neat freaks with their gaming setup that are going to spend $200+ on their keyboard

The reason most people want a wireless keyboard is because they're using it on the couch with their TV or something.
Most people aren't going to do any serious typing or gaming in those situations so there isn't really a reason to get an expensive mechanical keyboard.

There are a lot of nice wireless mice to choose from because people use them with laptops and gamers use them because there is no cord resistance to causing inconsistencies.

Only thing more annoying than wires, is having to change or find batteries.

Couldn't agree more.

That said, I'm kinda surprised there aren't more wireless mech boards. My guess would be like the guy above mentioned, mech boards are already $150+ and there may not be a market for $200 wireless mech boards.

I feel like it is because it would possibly negate a lot of the mechanical keyboards advantages. Namely, the precision and the quick response expected of mechanical keyboards. Price also enters into it as others have said.

Take the difference between wired and wireless gaming mice:

Razer Deathadder MSRP: $70
Razer Mamba MSRP: $130

Logitech G700s MSRP: $100
Logitech G500s MSRP: $70

Basically the same device, only wireless added on both of the examples. Mechanical keyboards are already a niche and expensive market sector, imagine adding an additional $30 - $60 on top of the already high price for a Filco or Ducky keyboard.

Above and beyond the other reasons for this though, a wireless addition to a mechanical keyboard just would not add any value to the larger range of users that want a mechanical keyboard. It is not worth it for the companies to put in the effort and R&D for something that their niche user base does not really want.

Eh, mechanical keyboards have been becoming more and more popular in recent years and it's starting to show with the gaming community; there has been an enthusiast crowd for quite some time, but their numbers pale in comparison. I think Cooler Master can be thanked for the most recent boom with throwing out tons of affordable and quality mechanicals when they started up with the CMStorm lable, even now they have some of the most affordable keyboards as well as having normal-ish promotional sales .

I wouldn't be surprised if a few more popped up for the consumer market in the not-so-far-off future.

Mechanical keyboards are still made by niche companies without a lot of EE, EMI and related engineering and diagnostic experience. Imagine one of these 5-engineer companies having to take on designing a wireless solution, doing the EMI testing, sourcing the components, and worst of all, warranty support and troubleshooting for a product that can act weird if your roommate has a buzzy microwave. From a business perspective, it is a bad call.

I suspect we'll see some, but from the likes of Logitech.

Logitech.....the unifying receiver stuff is great. now, just the back-lit, mechanical keyboard. Come on now, i know you make goofier stuff than that!

I feel like it is because it would possibly negate a lot of the mechanical keyboards advantages. Namely, the precision and the quick response expected of mechanical keyboards. Price also enters into it as others have said.

Exactly what I was thinking

Back