Why doesn't a case like this exist? Or does it?

toddfx

Weaksauce
Seems like a pretty simple idea, but I have yet to find a case arranged in this way.

Basically I just want a small MicroATX cube type case that lays horizontally, but instead of having the motherboard on the bottom with PSU/drives stacked on top, I want it to be flipped. I want the motherboard to be fully visible on the top portion of the case and hide the PSU and drives down below.

My rough Photoshopped mockup using the Apevia QPack as a starting point since I like it's triple windows that would be perfect for showing off a MicroATX board:
flipped_case.jpg

A design like this seems like it would be very good for wire management. Instead of dangling the PSU over top of the motherboard, the cables would be able to just curl under and hide away in the lower compartment.

I guess it leaves little room for rear exhaust of the upper compartment, but I imagine a couple of small fans could fit above the I/O port, or on any of the side panels.

The closest thing I have found is the Antec Skeleton case which is indeed arranged like this, but is not enclosed and the arc design is not great. Other bench cases are arranged similarly too, but again they are just wide open. I am looking for something more enclosed and protected.

Have I overlooked a case like this? Or is it time for another modding project?

If you do it that way you will have a lot of empty space in the PSU area (or I suppose room for like 6 hdds. At least with the current method you could use the space above for a taller heatsink. I suppose it would work nicely if you needed room for a pump and radiator, but that is a pretty select market.

Not sure if it really makes a difference nowadays, but my guess would be that having an upsidedown motherboard where heat rises is probably not the best configuration...

I think the OP just means having the motherboard on top of the PSU, not flipped, as in the pic.

The problem with that is then there will be little / no cooling of the CPU / motherboard.

This idea is basically a smaller version of the Mountain Mods H2GO, specific to MATX sized motherboards.

You would want a large hole on top or a fan and then fans or holes on the sides for air to circulate in the mobo compartment.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I imagine if I were to mod one of those cube cases, I would indeed include some fans in the top and/or side panels.

I do like the Mountain Mods case that uses this configuration, but yeah it is much too large.

Because I do not feel like hacking up any metal (for this particular project) I will probably go a different route. I found the Silverstone SG-02 that might end up working for my purposes.

I really just want something compact yet very wide-open to show off the beauty of the GFX cards and not hide them under all kinds of other junk. I like this SG-02 because it is very compact and once that upper fan bracket is removed, it should offer the head-room I am after.

Plus, most cube cases i've seen have the PSU mounted over the GFX cards, however this one has is over above the CPU instead. I'm using a MicroATX PSU, so it is small and should hopefully stay clear enough to not obstruct any views or airflow. I'll create a simple bracket that will scoot it as far left as possible. I'll just have to pay more attention to delicate cable management.

I have that Silverstone case. It is a very nice case.

GL with it, should be a fun project. Don't know of one off hand that's specifically mATX personally, which is almost surprising considering less popular (and kind of on the big side) ITX cases exist in a similar configuration like this one pictured from Soldam/Hoshino ING and the Cubitek Mini Tank::shrug::

91910155.jpg

Well, someone already sorta did the whole "motherboard on top" idea, didn't they? ;)

xaPvF.gif

Back