Why I love the X58 platform.

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
18gb_hyperx.jpg

18GB of ram for now with room to grow.

I had 8GB with my C2Q rig before but was starved for VMs and editing RAW files in photoshop in mass numbers so this was my solution.

Just thought I'd share my excitement. :)

With the amount that 12gb kit cost, you might as well have gotten a dual socket setup. Would probably wind up being cheaper as you could use twice as many 2gb sticks (and 4gb ECC registered sticks are cheaper too).

With the amount that 12gb kit cost, you might as well have gotten a dual socket setup. Would probably wind up being cheaper as you could use twice as many 2gb sticks (and 4gb ECC registered sticks are cheaper too).

Got the 12GB RAM from t_ski here for $500.

Less than half what newegg costs. So I consider it a steal. But I know what you mean about the ECC.

Ah, I thought you had paid retail. That completely changes things. I would have probably bought it for that much. :)

Last edited:
You have me curious. Since you moved up from 8GB and now have 18GB, what is your average memory usage under the conditions you described above? Most people can't even use 8GB. :cool:

Well with about 25 RAW files from my 12MP Nikon D300 upscaled to 25MP using Adobe Camera RAW imported into Photoshop CS4 I can get pretty close to maxing out my 8GB.

Now the reason I upped my RAM was to be able to do such a task while doing everything else without having my HDDs paging like crazy. When I had my 8x74GB Raptor array it was less of an issue, but right now before I go to SSDs on my single HDD I really feel the hit when my rig has to page.

I usually like to be able to run some VMs as well, especially for downloading content that way my main OS doesn't get messed up.

I will try to get some numbers on how my memory use is now with the extra RAM installed.

Well with about 25 RAW files from my 12MP Nikon D300 upscaled to 25MP using Adobe Camera RAW imported into Photoshop CS4 I can get pretty close to maxing out my 8GB.

Now the reason I upped my RAM was to be able to do such a task while doing everything else without having my HDDs paging like crazy. When I had my 8x74GB Raptor array it was less of an issue, but right now before I go to SSDs on my single HDD I really feel the hit when my rig has to page.

I usually like to be able to run some VMs as well, especially for downloading content that way my main OS doesn't get messed up.

I will try to get some numbers on how my memory use is now with the extra RAM installed.

How many monitors do you have now that you can open up to 50 RAW files :rolleyes:. I don't even know any professional photographer uses this amount.

How many monitors do you have now that you can open up to 50 RAW files :rolleyes:. I don't even know any professional photographer uses this amount.

Batch processing.

And I do a lot of back and forth between images in a set to get the look uniform between them sometimes.

I mean, it's a tool, I use it. So don't roll your eyes at me for it.

Batch processing.

And I do a lot of back and forth between images in a set to get the look uniform between them sometimes.

I like it. :D

I like the fact that you are refusing to allow your hardware to limit how you work. BUY MORE RAM!!! :cool:

Jesus...............save me.

I can't make 6 GB sweat................damn.:eek::eek:

makes me wanna get 6 more :)

The 6GB kits are dropping in price, I mean think of it this way. 6x2GB for 12GB will cost about oh, $300 for a pretty fast set.

That's pretty impressive in my opinion. I paid that much for 2x1GB of DDR2 a couple years ago.

Batch processing.

I think his point was this:

I do lots of RAW batch processing too (10MP@14bits from 40D), but batch processing opens them one at a time. Even if I'm doing a stiched pano or a stacked group shot it's usually at most 10 exposures. Designing your personal workflow to require 18GB of RAM is...interesting.

Well I had to take the 6GB kit out, it was proving to be unstable.

My motherboard started to refuse to go past the BIOS screen and it was hanging on detecting the RAM.

12GB kit works on its own, as does the 6GB kit. Put them together and they don't play well.

I am guessing since all my settings are done manually to spec, either this mobo is picky, or I'm totally missing something.

A little disappointing but I am going to contact DFI and see what they say. Their QVL list for RAM is pathetic.

Yep would be nice, actually I was thinking, my RAM might not be working cause of the differences in the 4 and 2 gig modules.

Too bad I can't afford to go all 24 with the same modules.

Anyone have any ideas to get my combo running stable?

Back