Why is it that...

FoxhoundOp

[H]ard|Gawd
the Windows 7 beta can run on my Athlon XP 2500 @ 2GHz with 1.5GB, a Radeon 9600 XT on an 80 GB 7200 RPM HDD but Vista would be as slow as molasses?

Have you tried either OS to confirm this? It sounds like you're just reading into the Vista FUD and Win7 hype.

You'd probably be able to run either OS on specs like that...

But you wouldn't have all the bells and whistles :p

It would look like glorified Win 2000 with more menus in the start menu.

EDIT: Try it out before making assumptions. :eek:

You'd probably be able to run either OS on specs like that...

But you wouldn't have all the bells and whistles :p

It would look like glorified Win 2000 with more menus in the start menu.

That's odd, My sister's Sempron 2300+ Vista install looks like ... well, Vista.

The athlon mahcine should run Vista just fine, but it won't be able to handle aero. My laptops got a 1.8ghz intel processor with 1GB of RAM and it runs Vista without any problems. The video card you've got is probably even better than whats in my laptop, too.

The athlon mahcine should run Vista just fine, but it won't be able to handle aero. My laptops got a 1.8ghz intel processor with 1GB of RAM and it runs Vista without any problems. The video card you've got is probably even better than whats in my laptop, too.

Aero doesn't depend on the CPU, it requires a DX9 GPU with at least 64MB. A 9600XT would work just fine for Aero.

You said it's look like a glorified Win2000, I assume you meant it would default to the "Classic" theme.

Nah, I meant it would help it from chewing up a lot of that 1.5GB of RAM by using an older theme; not defaulting.

EDIT: I was being facetious/sarcastic in a slight sense.

Perhaps I am buying into the FUD a bit. I admittedly haven't had a chance to run Vista on this hardware but I am using Windows 7 atm. Other than a BSOD after installing the nForce2 audio drivers which worked perfectly after a restart, I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's feels just as "snappy" as Windows XP even with Aero on. I'd be a liar, though, if I said I thought that Vista would run just as well seeing as I've had performance issues with it on a much faster computer (Athlon x2 3800 w/ 2 gb ram).

For the record: I prefer Vista over XP and have since I first used it a year ago so lower your weapons and answer my question :) Does Windows 7 run exactly the same as Vista given the same hardware?

Perhaps I am buying into the FUD a bit. I admittedly haven't had a chance to run Vista on this hardware but I am using Windows 7 atm. Other than a BSOD after installing the nForce2 audio drivers which worked perfectly after a restart, I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's feels just as "snappy" as Windows XP even with Aero on. I'd be a liar, though, if I said I thought that Vista would run just as well seeing as I've had performance issues with it on a much faster computer (Athlon x2 3800 w/ 2 gb ram).

Win7 is faster than Vista, but doesn't mean Vista is slow.

Win7 is faster than Vista, but doesn't mean Vista is slow.

It's not that I think Vista is slow, I just assumed that my hardware is not enough to run it as smoothly as I'm currently running W7/XP and was wondering if they changed anything in 7 that made it less taxing. I'll do less assuming in the future.

Back