Why is my CPU benching so low ?

D4N

n00b
I ran a few benchmarks on my processor yesterday and was shocked at my low scores when I compared them to similar processors (PCMARK 04, Sandra). Here is my setup:

A64 Venice 3000 @ 2430 (270x9) with no HTT divider, 3/4 Memory multiplier 1.45 Volts
DFI Lanparty NF4-Ultra D
1.5 Gigs geil ultra in dual channel 2-3-3-6

Im thinking it is possible my CPU needs more voltage possibly, but I don't know how high I can safely push it with this core (using Zalman CNSP-9500). I am also wondering if running 4 slots of ram in dual channel (2x512 + 2x256) on divider is hurting me. Any input is welcome!

running 4 slots filled will invariably force you into 2T command rate which is where you see large differences in benchmarks like sandra, that said, *Real World* performance differences are negligible enough to be meaningless.

Essentially real apps just dont use ram like a bench like sandra does.
Dont worry about it.

If you look around for articles regarding 1T vs. 2T, you'll see what I mean.

Tutelary said:
running 4 slots filled will invariably force you into 2T command rate which is where you see large differences in benchmarks like sandra, that said, *Real World* performance differences are negligible enough to be meaningless.

Essentially real apps just dont use ram like a bench like sandra does.
Dont worry about it.

If you look around for articles regarding 1T vs. 2T, you'll see what I mean.

1t/2t never shows a huge difference in the Sandra CPU tests only the Memory test.

BigTaf said:
1t/2t never shows a huge difference in the Sandra CPU tests only the Memory test.

Doh, you're right, my bad. I read that and just spit out what first popped into mind. He hasnt responded again tho so maybe he actually meant memory? Dunno. Maybe he will speak up with at least what hes comparing against.

Running in 1t increased my score in the latest version of Crystal Mark by close to 4000. But... running at 1t caused my computer to crash while viewing the "Introduction to XP" flash video :D. I was dumbfounded for a good 5 minutes, I kept trying over and over... it always crashed right as the first frame of the animation loaded. I remembered someone sending us to a website to test whether our 1T ram setting was stable, it was a huge flash animation... Needless to say 2T isn't worth the extra bandwidth.

Back