Why is siri so inconsistent?

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
It fracking driving me nuts. I can use dictation on notes it messages, but when I ask Siri to "open Amazon" it says open Amaziah which sounds very dis-similar. a third of the time she gets it, but dictation mode works 99%. It's retarded.

It happens all the time. I have a very plain American Midwestern accent, so I think she's just fucking with me.

it's cause she is a chick. the only thing thing girls do consistently is be inconsistent.

and now to prepare for my beating in ...3, 2, 1

Last edited:
It fracking driving me nuts. I can use dictation on notes it messages, but when I ask Siri to "open Amazon" it says open Amaziah which sounds very dis-similar. a third of the time she gets it, but dictation mode works 99%. It's retarded.

It happens all the time. I have a very plain American Midwestern accent, so I think she's just fucking with me.

she always does what i want

I find that it's hit and miss. Sometimes, I can say things with a lot of back ground noise and she gets it perfect. Other times, it's quiet and I say something simple and she fucks it up.

Most of the time, though, it works.

It's dialects and accents. Voice Recognition is not 100% accurate and never has been, though we've come a LONG way from "Larry had a little ham who's fleas were bright and slow" From past experience I'd suggest trying to talk slower and in a non-accented voice if possible.

I just did 10 opens back to back, 100% perfect. Tv is on and there is road noise from the busy road this house is on.

I had a gf with a Midwestern accent. She drove me nuts the way she sounded when she talked. Maybe you ans Siri just don't like each other. ;)

I agree, some things she just does not get and I talk clearly.

The other thing that annoys me more is how sometimes she takes about 2min to interpret what action to take, even though she shows she understood what I said.

Why??? Because it sucks.

Its failed me too many times for me to use it much anymore.

I think its time to add her, Siri, to the casket that holds Ping, .Mac, MobileMe and ADC.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if Siri use the same program/server for voice to text that the dictation program does?

Try resetting network settings. I know Siri is very network dependent so it might help.

It's dialects and accents. Voice Recognition is not 100% accurate and never has been, though we've come a LONG way from "Larry had a little ham who's fleas were bright and slow" From past experience I'd suggest trying to talk slower and in a non-accented voice if possible.

I can see past the occasional error. What I cannot stand are the hangs. For example, I will say "Call Mom". Within a second it shows "call mom" on screen - but hangs with completing the call. The hang can range from 10-15 seconds and often never making the call at all.

The same thing happen with time request. I will say "what time is it" and it will repeat the request on screen - but hang on completing it.

I've had nothing but troubles using Siri, so much that I don't even try using it anymore.

pretty much this.

Siri, for the most part, gets things right most of the time, but does have trouble understanding the occasonal word. What I do like though, if Siri isn't 100% confident, it will present you with a blue underlined word, which you can tap, and lists other words that sound similar to what you said. So it makes editing fairly painless. I'm not sure if it remebers how you say certain words though, and corrects them automatically (learns your accents?)

Xbox does this too. Kinect is really spot on 99% of the time but whenever I tell it "Xbox go home" it just sits there and does nothing. Yet my GF can do it and the Xbox listens. Must be my accent on the word home that it doesn't quite understand me.

Sometimes you have to go a little slower and make sure your speaking and enunciating as clearly as possible.

I find that it's hit and miss. Sometimes, I can say things with a lot of back ground noise and she gets it perfect. Other times, it's quiet and I say something simple and she fucks it up.

Most of the time, though, it works.

this could be a case of overly aggressive noise reduction..? when there's no background noises, it may see portions of you speech as background noise, and alter it..

Revisiting this...

In regards to accent... I have a very 'plain' Ohio accent. I'm not sure why Suri is such a PITA. I can be on wifi, and she can't understand me, or on down the road on LTE and she'll be fine.

However, if I use just the 'typing assistant', it'll understand me 99% of the time.

Revisiting this...

In regards to accent... I have a very 'plain' Ohio accent. I'm not sure why Suri is such a PITA. I can be on wifi, and she can't understand me, or on down the road on LTE and she'll be fine.

However, if I use just the 'typing assistant', it'll understand me 99% of the time.

Its a flawed system - simple as that. Apple assembles great hardware and has a nice OS - however time after time they fail on the software add-on (e.g. Mobile Me) side. Google on the other side offers a far better back-end.

I'm an Apple Fan, but, its clear that the Apple back-end is a slanty shanty compared to the fortress that is Google.

Yeah, it's not perfect. It is pretty darn good for what it does though. It's also pretty funny, there are some cool easter eggs built into siri

Back