Why is the optimum setting not used in, ATI Radeon X850 XT-PE AGP Evaluation

WallisHall

n00b
I have enjoyed reading Hard-OCP for the last few years. Ever since the change in reviewing the video options, I've especially enjoyed the opinionated reviews even more. Unfortunately over the last few weeks, I've found a HUGE (in my opinion) hole in the review options.

I had an average system, AMD XP 2700 with 1GB system and an NVIDIA 6800GT video card. I've been working on ways to improve the gaming options, but couldn't find any definite way to improve my situation.

A friend bought another 512MB of memory making a total of 1.5GB of memory and disabled his virtual memory. His P4 3GHZ with a Radeon X800 took a leap that surprised me. We both play EQ2 on the weekends, and he suddenly could play 1280x1024 Balanced with little to no lagging.

I was amazed and decided to upgrade my memory, disable virtual memory and see what would happen. Much to my surprise, I am now able to play EQ2 at 1600x1280 in balanced mode.

Not only EQ2, but all of my favorite games are playing better than ever.

My problem now is that your test shows a much better system than mine not able to run as well as mine does. This is because (in my opinion) the system setup is not optimal. Is there any chance that the setup can be modified to show the best setup for systems?

What do you all think?

They try not to be biased and give a neutral desktop environment for all their reviews. There are numerous tweaks you can do to the video settings, overclocking, and windows hacks that can improve preformance. Of course most people don't do this and also they don't want to mess with the desktop environment every time they do a review. Basically, the more factors you add to an environment the higher the percentage goes for getting something wrong than the last time you used the environment.

oops LOL...thanks for pointing out my mistype. It is fixed now. This is what happens when you have class in less than 5 mins you tend to rush things.

I understand that they do not want to be biased. The problem though is that they are already being biased in changing the settings for AA and whatnot. This being the case, I was wondering if they could just add it as an additional option. In fact I would love to see an article showing a comparison of how games run with the virtual memory disabled. I had no idea that it would impact video performance so dramatically. I have to wonder if this is a Microsoft issue, or driver issue?

Back