Why no LAN parties in Tampa?

Regular Daddy

Limp Gawd
It seems like EVERY city has a good LAN scene except Tampa. WASTELAN used to be awesome but that was years ago and went under because of some shady business practices. Since then there has been absolutely NOTHING.

Surely there are a few of you from around here that want to get together and hopefully start one?

If you don't mind driving to Orlando, the UCF PC Gaming club has LANs usually twice a semester. For more info visit the webpage at LANKnights.net - our next LAN is on October 13. It's open to the public (free for students, and like $10 for the general public), and while it's not some mondo-huge 500 person LAN, we usually get a fairly good turnout, maybe like 75 people or so, although we've been expanding and gaining a lot of new members recently. There are prizes (cases, various computer hardware, etc.) and tournaments too.

Everyone is more than welcome to come - the more the merrier.

If you don't mind driving to Orlando, the UCF PC Gaming club has LANs usually twice a semester. For more info visit the webpage at LANKnights.net - our next LAN is on October 13. It's open to the public (free for students, and like $10 for the general public), and while it's not some mondo-huge 500 person LAN, we usually get a fairly good turnout, maybe like 75 people or so, although we've been expanding and gaining a lot of new members recently. There are prizes (cases, various computer hardware, etc.) and tournaments too.

Everyone is more than welcome to come - the more the merrier.

I would be down for this. Orlando isn't much of a drive and 75 people is a fairly good number.

I'm in Tampa, but I don't have any LAN experience. it'd be cool to check one out?

I've known about these. The USF one is open to students only. The necrolan is 30 people max.

I'm talking about big 500 person lans here, and there are none to be found. Tampa sucks.

I live just outside of Chicago, and there is only one "500 person lan" that I even know of in this area. This would be MML in Kentucky, and that would be about a 12 to 15 hour drive from my home. MML usually attracts a little over 1000 attendees. Just because you no longer have a mega lan to attend, do not ignore the rest of your local lan scene. A lot of people in this area have taken that same approach and have nearly killed the entire lan scene here. Most lans here where I live are lucky to attract 30 people. I have been to one lan here about 4 years ago that had about 150 attendees, and recently, one that had about 60 or so. For the most part, like I said, lan's here are generally small.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The whole point is that I don't even HAVE a local scene anymore. The USF thing is for students only and necrolan is once a year. I'm just looking for a nice 50+ or so monthly LAN event. The Orlando one looks interesting though. Might have to check that out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The whole point is that I don't even HAVE a local scene anymore. The USF thing is for students only and necrolan is once a year. I'm just looking for a nice 50+ or so monthly LAN event. The Orlando one looks interesting though. Might have to check that out.

Even after other posts including my own have directed you to local lans, you still want a big lan. Like I said, just about every lan here where I live is lucky to attract 30 people, most don't even attract half of that. Here is one final suggestion for you. Get a few friends together and start a local weekly lan like some of my friends and I have done. Spread the word to other people you know and with luck, it will grow bigger. If it grows to a size that the lan will no longer fit into your home, then you can can start looking into renting a conference room at a hotel or VFW hall. Reduce your events to once a month or so. Don't expect to just snap your fingers and suddenly have something that does not exist, what you are looking for has to be slowly grown over time. If no one else in your area is willing to take charge of this, think about doing it yourself.

haha, I don't have any friends that are PC enthusiasts. NONE. The most they use their PC for is myspace. I'd settle for a 10 person LAN but I can't even find one of those.

flyer.jpg

Dito, I'm in the tampa area and theres no decent lan parties EVER.

I would start one up, but I don't think people would pay to come. (Costs money to rent the building, tables, chairs, food, cleanup etc etc)

I haven't even seen a 6 person lan party in about 3 years. Anyone interested in organizing one?

Back