Why you shouldn't buy your monitor from Newegg

Please everyone stop buying anything that has an LCD/Plasma from Newegg (Monitor/TV/Notebook). They have the worst return policy.

"In order to declare any product with an LCD screen "defective" and eligible for replacement or refund through any applicable Newegg.com Return Policy, there must be a minimum of 8 (eight) dead LCD pixels."

Yes that say 8 (eight) dead pixels.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#21

Like Ihaveworms said, Amazon is the best. They have a 30 day return policy.You can return it for any reason, but it has to be bought from Amazon, not from their merchants. You'll have to deal directly with the merchant for a return. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=901908

Also, don't buy any TV/Plasma from buy.com that's over 27". They wont even take it and if you send it to them, they'll charge you for the shipping. You can only deal with the manufacturer. http://www.buy.com/corp/support/returns/default.asp?what=returnpolicy

mwave.com also has a horrible return policy. "There must be a minimum of 7 dead pixels to classify an LCD display as defective and be eligible for return" http://www.mwave.com/mwave/policy.hmx?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I disagree. I'd rather pay the 15% restocking fee to NewEgg than deal with Amazon.com. I've had issues with Amazon, but never with NewEgg.

Usually I buy locally. Futureshop/Bestbuy/local computer shop.

No shipping costs.
FS/BB have no questions asked no restock fee returns.
My local computer store can get just about anything in the distributor system.

I only mail order special deals my Locals don't carry/can't match (Dell or closesouts at NCIX).

i've never run into any problem with dead pixels ... am i just lucky? or is it rare to get them?

Well, I disagree. I'd rather pay the 15% restocking fee to NewEgg than deal with Amazon.com. I've had issues with Amazon, but never with NewEgg.
Really? I got my samsung LN32A650 (32" HDTV) from them last friday. I found that the top of my plastic bezel was not attached to my main body properly and my replacement is already on its way. I called them Tuesday and my replacement was sent today.

I talked to the guy and asked him if I get this one, can I exchange again and this is what he told me their policy was:

You can exchange an item as many times (within a reasonable limit I assume), but only for a specific reason once. So like you can't keep exchanging if you have backlight bleed over and over again.

...Or RMA it through the manufacturer if you buy it from NewEgg.

Problem solved.

...Or RMA it through the manufacturer if you buy it from NewEgg.

Problem solved.
Amazon exchanges are probably less of a hassle and you get a new unit in return.

BTW, Amazon charges no shipping on exchanges and when your replacement arrives, then you ship out your old TV.

Amazon exchanges are probably less of a hassle and you get a new unit in return.

BTW, Amazon charges no shipping on exchanges and when your replacement arrives, then you ship out your old TV.

that seems like the best policy thus far

Great topic, OP

This strikes a bell for me, since I plan on buying a Pansonic TC-37LZ85 from Newegg soon. It's 999.99 with free shipping. I plan on adding a 4 year extended warranty from a grand total of 1100.

But the risk of a large LCD traveling across the country (CA to FL) seems mighty risky.

BestBuy has this panel in stock, locally, but will cost 284 more dollars, and no extended warranty yet.

I am sure that many, and I mean many, have bought large LCDs online. It's only the few people thats had problems you hear complaining.

Sounds like a gamble =\

I too would never buy LCD monitors from Newegg because of their policy. I always go to B&M stores that don't have restocking fees (BB, CC, and Fry's have all allowed me to return / exchange for even one dead pixel), Amazon, or Dell.

I used to buy from Newegg but not any more. I got my BenQ monitors from BenQ store directly. Their return policy - 30 day - is waaaaaaaaay better than Newegg, if you are intereted in buying BenQ I would strongly recommend you go with BenQ store.

Yeah. I don't know why, but Newegg isn't that great for monitors, PSUs, or cases, imo.

Honestly, it seems to me that they've lost a lot of the edge they used to have over the competition in other areas as well.

~S

Yeah. I don't know why, but Newegg isn't that great for monitors, PSUs, or cases, imo.

Honestly, it seems to me that they've lost a lot of the edge they used to have over the competition in other areas as well.

~S

Tax being another area. I have to pay tax there now. If I can get something from another reputible source, I will.

I always buy my monitors locally.

I just like to be able to compare while I can see them working before my decision is made. And once I decide, I don't want to wait for shipping.

Really? I got my samsung LN32A650 (32" HDTV) from them last friday. I found that the top of my plastic bezel was not attached to my main body properly and my replacement is already on its way. I called them Tuesday and my replacement was sent today.

I talked to the guy and asked him if I get this one, can I exchange again and this is what he told me their policy was:

You can exchange an item as many times (within a reasonable limit I assume), but only for a specific reason once. So like you can't keep exchanging if you have backlight bleed over and over again.

Yep! I bought my LN52A650 from Amazon and everything went fine and dandy. I have read numerious posts from others that bought big screen TVs from Amazon and all of them were happy; even those that had to exchange their TVs. Like you said, they show up with a new and take the old/bad one at the same time.

As I have posted in other threads, there are other choices as well; Costco, Crutchfields, Dell (no stuck pixel policy here), and others I am sure.

Stay away from Buy.com, CDW.com, buydig.com, any of the Zones and anybody that is rated poorly at http://www.resellerratings.com

Amazon.com has the best prices and no tax here in So Cal.

Dave

I bought a 22 incher from Newegg for a computer I built for a buddy. It had one stuck pixel (red) near the middle of the screen and was infernally irritating. We returned it and they exchanged it!

Stay away from Buy.com, CDW.com, buydig.com, any of the Zones and anybody that is rated poorly at http://www.resellerratings.com
Dave

What are you talking about?
buydig has 8.51 rating which is pretty good. I've been buying more from them ever since the other major vendors started charging NY taxes.
Buy.com ratings are bad. But I have had no problems with them. They are very good at execution (fast processing and shipping when items are in stock). But their customer service is a bit lacking. Since they don't actively encourage their customers to rate them, the only people rating them are the ones who have had problems. Many more people orders from them with no problems.

Great topic, OP

This strikes a bell for me, since I plan on buying a Pansonic TC-37LZ85 from Newegg soon. It's 999.99 with free shipping. I plan on adding a 4 year extended warranty from a grand total of 1100.

But the risk of a large LCD traveling across the country (CA to FL) seems mighty risky.

BestBuy has this panel in stock, locally, but will cost 284 more dollars, and no extended warranty yet.

I am sure that many, and I mean many, have bought large LCDs online. It's only the few people thats had problems you hear complaining.

Sounds like a gamble =\

BB does have ext warranties on just about everything im sure they have one for this

yeah I don't know why buy.com has such bad ratings. I have ordered 5 times from them in the past two months and I have had great experiences so far. I love the 6 dollar two day shipping and if I buy early in the morning, most of the time the item ships that day.

What are you talking about?
buydig has 8.51 rating which is pretty good. I've been buying more from them ever since the other major vendors started charging NY taxes.
Buy.com ratings are bad. But I have had no problems with them. They are very good at execution (fast processing and shipping when items are in stock). But their customer service is a bit lacking. Since they don't actively encourage their customers to rate them, the only people rating them are the ones who have had problems. Many more people orders from them with no problems.

I have seen complaints from other users and looked at their return policies. I will stick with Amazon thanks

Dave

Buy.com sucks as far as their returns. I ordered a preorder video game from them and the ship date slipped (i.e. did not ship on the date they said). I called into their customer service to cancel the order. Well somehow they only cancelled one of the items off the order not the actual order.

They then shipped me my video game over 6 months later and refused to send me a shipping voucher. I ended up shipping it back at my cost buy.com refunded the original amount but not the amount I paid for shipping.

I contacted my credit card company who had me send them an explanation of what occured and my reciept for the shipping and charged buy.com back for the shipping amount.

Buy.com sucks as far as their returns. I ordered a preorder video game from them and the ship date slipped (i.e. did not ship on the date they said). I called into their customer service to cancel the order. Well somehow they only cancelled one of the items off the order not the actual order.

You could have canceled the order yourself online. I've done it before with on-order/pre-order items. It works pretty well.

Actually for some reason I couldn't cancel the order online I had to actually call in I believe it was due to some sort of coupon being applied. I don't recall the exact details but I do remember trying to cancel online first and being directed to call customer service.

I am a noobie and thinking of getting V2400W but I have never bought from BenQ store before. Can anyone who did share the experience? Is the thankyou10 promo code still on?

You think wrong. I recently returned a new monitor to Newegg with full refund, a return shipping label and no restocking fee. Their policy is not set to stone. You just need to call them and explain the situation. Just think about your situation and be fair to them. They are people too.

They are people, but it's not personal; it's business. In the business world, it is set in stone (the contract). Read the policy. If one person who workes there was fair, doesn't mean that will be the case every time.

yeah I don't know why buy.com has such bad ratings. I have ordered 5 times from them in the past two months and I have had great experiences so far. I love the 6 dollar two day shipping and if I buy early in the morning, most of the time the item ships that day.

Buy.com was the worst online buying experience I've ever had.

When they work, they work. When they don't, they're terribad.

~S

They are people, but it's not personal; it's business. In the business world, it is set in stone (the contract). Read the policy. If one person who workes there was fair, doesn't mean that will be the case every time.

Yes; this is very true. You can not count on getting the right person to be nice about it. In the busniess world the written policy is the rule. Newegg is not what they used to be anyway. their prices keep increasing in comparison to their compition. I still buy from them, but not as much as I used to.

Dave

I don't think Newegg allows a refund even with the restocking fee. As far as I know, you must deal with the manufacturer and you won't ever get a refund that way.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#21

How does Dell.com compare to Amazon? I've never ordered from either.

They are both good. The difference is that Amazon does not carry Dell producs, so if you are after a Dell monitor, then Dell.com is the place to go. Another good thing about Dell is their discount coupons. You can get a 10% to 15% off coupon usually from eBay and get a good deal.

Dave

They are both good. The difference is that Amazon does not carry Dell producs, so if you are after a Dell monitor, then Dell.com is the place to go. Another good thing about Dell is their discount coupons. You can get a 10% to 15% off coupon usually from eBay and get a good deal.

Dave

Thanks for the info.

Anyone had experience with each of their return policies?

Back