Widescreen 1920x1200 Ultra Mode Doom 3 Screenshots (Dial-Up Beware)

It is stretched, but it doesn't look 'horrid' to me, lol.

I don't know about you, but I don't have any recent memories of a mars research base, or demons from hell to compare to notice if things are stretched or not, lol.

Would I be happier if the game knew widescreen? Sure.

If you look at the circle around the cross in the health meter, it really isn't that far out of wack. We can assume that reactor core was supposed to be a perfect circle too, and it really isn't that far off. I spend most of my time focusing on survival in doom3, not critically analysing the dimensions of every object on the screen.

The reason regular tv looks terrible stretched is because you already know what those people are supposed to look like. I have no preconceived notions about what the world of doom3 is supposed to look like...

That is odd. I wonder why I'm getting worse performance at 1280x800. I wonder what resolution it is stretching from. It wouldn't seem likely that it be 1152x864 with the 864 being more than 800. I would think that it would get stretched from 1024x768 and if that was the case I would think performance would be close to what I get at 1024x768.

Does this look stretched and 'horrid' to you?

800x600:
d3 800x600.jpg

And 1920x1200 (resized of course):
d3 1920x1200.jpg

Tell me, what exactly is stretched in that image that makes it so horrendous?

That looks so sexy.

Also, for the fov setting, you could try adding it into the shotcut for the game. I did it with allow console

moralpanic said:

Very nice shot! When i have some time from the hospital, i will try to take out the 2d iin the game and get some high res pics for us wide screen users to use for wallpaper. Or maybe you should since you are probably farther in the game than I.

This makes me want to go buy that Mitsubishi 55" DLP I've been eyeballing. :cool:

Dude it is streched and looks like an acid trip, but its real good acid ;)

Easy , no flames. Its looks real good I am just in a wierd mood

I have a Samsung 172W 17" Widescreen LCD. I also play at 1280 x 768 and I used the same settings mentioned in the original post. It does not look stretched to me, but it is since the game does not support true widescreen. This is with default FOV. Should I change it to 110 or 120?

1280 x768 (Native res of Widescreen Monitor) High Settings, no AA, with my MSI 5900XT
D3.jpg

D32.jpg
D33.jpg

moralpanic said:

I think it looks great, but I did notice that if you look at the egyptian-like stone door/tablet... it does look a little sharper in the 800x600 view

but overall the widescreen looks gorgeous :D

personally i'm seriously disappointed with the widescreen support in d3.

I can run at 1920x1200, which is the native res of my LCD, but it gets choppy. So I tried adding some custom resolutions to my 6800GT using the new driver feature. I tried 960x600 (so 1/4 the size), but d3 insists on running at 1024x768 with the game not taking up the full screen (so my windows wallpaper and start bar are visible). ut2k4 on the other hand handled 960x600 like a champ.

They really should have done a d3test, I'm sure they would have fixed something like this before release if they had.

That coupled with the fov settings really means makes it look like there's still alot of hard coded 4:3 crap in there.

What's a good fov for 16:10 display? I'm using 105, which works great in ut2k4, but in d3 I notice obvious "fisheye" at the edges (stand near a door facing, then rotate away, you'll see the square door get distorted as it reaches the edge of yr vision, and all the characters look stretched out/squat)

Karmakaze said:
personally i'm seriously disappointed with the widescreen support in d3.

I can run at 1920x1200, which is the native res of my LCD, but it gets choppy. So I tried adding some custom resolutions to my 6800GT using the new driver feature. I tried 960x600 (so 1/4 the size), but d3 insists on running at 1024x768 with the game not taking up the full screen (so my windows wallpaper and start bar are visible). ut2k4 on the other hand handled 960x600 like a champ.

They really should have done a d3test, I'm sure they would have fixed something like this before release if they had.

That coupled with the fov settings really means makes it look like there's still alot of hard coded 4:3 crap in there.

What's a good fov for 16:10 display? I'm using 105, which works great in ut2k4, but in d3 I notice obvious "fisheye" at the edges (stand near a door facing, then rotate away, you'll see the square door get distorted as it reaches the edge of yr vision, and all the characters look stretched out/squat)

Agreed. (see my post above) I tried other FOV's but really anything about 90 looks bad. UT2K4 has great support for custom resolutions.

moralpanic said:
Yes. Unless there's another r_ command for setting aspect ratio, D3 does not support any camera aspect ratio other than 4:3. Changing g_fov changes both vertical and horizontal field of view, as mentioned before.

To confirm this for yourself, go load up D3 in a 4:3 resolution. Start a new game and go to the bioscan room. Look down and note the pads on the floor that you're supposed to stand on for the bioscan. They are square. Rotate your view all you like, they will not change shape. Now save the game there, switch to a 16:9 resolution, restart D3 and reload your game, and look at the squares on the floor. Now they're not square. Turn as you look down at them and they will not stay the same shape, nevermind square. Now change g_fov all you like and try to get the squares to be square. You can't.

That's why it looks horrid, and shame on id for not supporting this correctly.

Aiken Drum said:
Yes. Unless there's another r_ command for setting aspect ratio, D3 does not support any camera aspect ratio other than 4:3. Changing g_fov changes both vertical and horizontal field of view, as mentioned before.

Bullshit. The only reason why you say it looks stretched is because you know one's a widescreen pic, and ones not. But if there wasn't a non-widescreen image, you wouldn't have known it was 'stretched'.

To confirm this for yourself, go load up D3 in a 4:3 resolution. Start a new game and go to the bioscan room. Look down and note the pads on the floor that you're supposed to stand on for the bioscan. They are square. Rotate your view all you like, they will not change shape. Now save the game there, switch to a 16:9 resolution, restart D3 and reload your game, and look at the squares on the floor. Now they're not square. Turn as you look down at them and they will not stay the same shape, nevermind square. Now change g_fov all you like and try to get the squares to be square. You can't.

That's why it looks horrid, and shame on id for not supporting this correctly.

Well i loaned my game to a friend, so i can't check on it, but again, looking 'horrid'? Tell me exactly, what in that pic above looks so horrid? True, it's not true 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios, but without the 4:3 pics for comparison, you wouldn't have been able to tell which is the 'stretched' image and which wasn't... and i bet when i get my copy back and crop random images from 1920x1200 and 800x600 (so you wouldn't have any reference to compare them with), you wouldn't be able to tell either. Care to wager?

Is it stretched? Obviously. I've had this monitor for over two years, played dozens and dozens of games in widescreen, alot of them 'stretched', and i can tell you that very rarely does the stretching actually make the game worst rather than better.

moralpanic said:
Bullshit. The only reason why you say it looks stretched is because you know one's a widescreen pic, and ones not. But if there wasn't a non-widescreen image, you wouldn't have known it was 'stretched'.

Well i loaned my game to a friend, so i can't check on it, but again, looking 'horrid'? Tell me exactly, what in that pic above looks so horrid? True, it's not true 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios, but without the 4:3 pics for comparison, you wouldn't have been able to tell which is the 'stretched' image and which wasn't... and i bet when i get my copy back and crop random images from 1920x1200 and 800x600 (so you wouldn't have any reference to compare them with), you wouldn't be able to tell either. Care to wager?

Is it stretched? Obviously. I've had this monitor for over two years, played dozens and dozens of games in widescreen, alot of them 'stretched', and i can tell you that very rarely does the stretching actually make the game worst rather than better.

Oh Jesus Tapdancing Christ...who cares.

moralpanic said:
I know when a square isn't square, a circle is an oval, a face is too wide, etc. I have a widescreen TV and all of my computers use widescreen monitors, and it's been that way for years. I know when something is using the correct aspect and when it isn't. When the TV is in anamorphic mode for a non-anamorphic signal, it's obvious, just like it was obvious when I changed D3 to 16:9 and it was still using a 4:3 camera, and like it was obvious again when I changed the FOV and the aspect didn't improve.

The fact that your eyes see what you want to see instead of what's really there doesn't mean everyone else's work that way. Play your game in crippled widescreen if you like, but don't tell me it's good enough for me, because it isn't.

Aiken Drum said:
I know when a square isn't square, a circle is an oval, a face is too wide, etc. I have a widescreen TV and all of my computers use widescreen monitors, and it's been that way for years. I know when something is using the correct aspect and when it isn't. When the TV is in anamorphic mode for a non-anamorphic signal, it's obvious, just like it was obvious when I changed D3 to 16:9 and it was still using a 4:3 camera, and like it was obvious again when I changed the FOV and the aspect didn't improve.

The fact that your eyes see what you want to see instead of what's really there doesn't mean everyone else's work that way. Play your game in crippled widescreen if you like, but don't tell me it's good enough for me, because it isn't.

SIR YES SIR!
rofl.gif

jacuzz1 said:
Dude it is streched and looks like an acid trip, but its real good acid ;)

I h8 yellow sunshine!

ahhh man, bad memories there..... :(

P.S. Dont take the brown acid.

i have a shadow banding problem on my 2335 pushed with a 6800 ultra.

this pic needs to be brightened a bit to see the banding, but it IS definitley there and I don't see it in the screenshots to start this thread. I dont see the banding problem in the timedemo either.

http://www.freeupload.net/uploads/6699.jpg

If I open the pic in PHOTOSHOP it looks like it does in the game for me. Any other program I can't see the banding for some reason.

I was just playing with the image in photoshop by adjusting the contrast. The banding on the wall just to the left of the player in the screenshot gets animated and behaves exaclty like it does in game. So does this mean I have a contrast/brightness problem maybe???

I have the 2335 on 40 for brightnesss. I'm also using DVI as well.

UFarch said:
i have a shadow banding problem on my 2335 pushed with a 6800 ultra.

this pic needs to be brightened a bit to see the banding, but it IS definitley there and I don't see it in the screenshots to start this thread. I dont see the banding problem in the timedemo either.

http://www.freeupload.net/uploads/6699.jpg

If I open the pic in PHOTOSHOP it looks like it does in the game for me. Any other program I can't see the banding for some reason.

I was just playing with the image in photoshop by adjusting the contrast. The banding on the wall just to the left of the player in the screenshot gets animated and behaves exaclty like it does in game. So does this mean I have a contrast/brightness problem maybe???

I have the 2335 on 40 for brightnesss. I'm also using DVI as well.

I get that as well. I don't think it's a driver issue with your card, just an OpenGL thing. I can see mine in the game since my monitor can adjust the gamma for itself and when I set it to ultrabright I can see in the shadows better but I see the banding while playing. Probably not the way it was meant to be played, but I can see better.

the banding is just a striping of the shadowy areas of the game. The stripes are shades of gray and looks to be like the shadows should be rendered as getting lighter or darker, but instead of a smooth transition I get banding.

sucks........

I installed the drivers from the 2335 cd
SP2
latest nvidias from their site
using dvi
32 bit color

maybe its a doom3 setting?

UFarch said:
the banding is just a striping of the shadowy areas of the game. The stripes are shades of gray and looks to be like the shadows should be rendered as getting lighter or darker, but instead of a smooth transition I get banding.

sucks........

I installed the drivers from the 2335 cd
SP2
latest nvidias from their site
using dvi
32 bit color

maybe its a doom3 setting?

Did I not speak English there? It's not the drivers, it's OpenGL. The banding is because you have the gamma turned up way higher than what the game is supposed to be played at and would not otherwise be visible. If you don't like seeing it turn your gamma back down to a default setting.

What the hell are you referring to as a "2335"?

sorry dude, im at work and haven't tried your suggestion. I won't post again until I have. :cool:

All I'm saying is that it's not a problem with your setup or drivers it's just the way the game is. If you don't want to see banding then turn the gamma back down.

And what was the 2335 referring to anyway?

I'm playing with Quake3 on my new Dell 2005WFP at 1680x1050. I can verify that the custom resolutions do work as all my ingame screenshots are indeed 1680x1050. I'm having trouble setting the FOV though. No matter what I try (in the cfg file or at the console) I still get an oblong crosshair.

What really sucks is that Quake3 has a widescreen setting... I think it's 852x480 or something like that... But I've tried running at that and it only fills the top left corner of my screen. I even tried scouring the cfg file after setting it to the 852x480 widescreen to see if I could find some FOV or custom aspect ratio settings. No love :(

This image is 40% of the original (1680x1050) size. See what I mean about the crosshairs?

big_q3a.jpg

I haven't tried Doom3 yet. It runs like crap anyway (GeFroceFX 5200) on this machine, so I haven't played it much. Let alone tried it at 1680x1050 :)

Back