Wierd Prime95 problem

Swat

[H]ard|Gawd
Well , I just got my 2400-M in the mail a fwe days ago and have been seeing how much power I can get out of few volts. Right now I'm able to hit 2.31ghz @ 1.712vcore. The thing is , when I up my muliplier to 11.5 (currently at 11x210) , no matter what vcore I boot at , the second I start prime95 it just freezes my computer. Every other programs I run to stress seem to be working fine. I'm able to get threw the 6hrs of Hot CPU Tester , and I run endless loops of 3dmark and never any problems. Just when I load up prime does my comp freeze.

I've ran into this problem before with every AMD I've owned. All good up until I hit 2.4ghz then prime locks up. I don't know if I'm doing everything correctly so I figured maybe some one on here might be able to give me some advice as to what the problem may be.

Just for reference - 2400XP-M , 512MB PC3500 Mushkin lvl 2 , ABIT-NF72 rev2.0.

- Thanks ahead of time

Did you try 12x200 ??? I have heard of some boards not liking the .5 multipliers.....

Did you try 11.5x200??? Just to test theory above....

MObiles are set as what, 1.475v??? BUt they really are te same as the 1.65v Batons right??? SO I would think if you can get 1.71v to hold steady at 2.3ghz then you should and could likely hit 2.4ghz with 1.85-1.9v....

How is the heat???

What power supply do you have an how do the rail look??

Make sure you agp/pci locked and for now don't use more then 200fsb in case it is a chipset or memory issue...

Originally posted by Duvie
Did you try 12x200 ??? I have heard of some boards not liking the .5 multipliers.....

Did you try 11.5x200??? Just to test theory above....

MObiles are set as what, 1.475v??? BUt they really are te same as the 1.65v Batons right??? SO I would think if you can get 1.71v to hold steady at 2.3ghz then you should and could likely hit 2.4ghz with 1.85-1.9v....

How is the heat???

What power supply do you have an how do the rail look??

Make sure you agp/pci locked and for now don't use more then 200fsb in case it is a chipset or memory issue...

I'll try see if maybe it just doesn't like the increase memory , though Like said before I'm running my FSB at 210 right now with an 11 mulipiler. Though I never heard anything about the NF7-S have problems with .5. My PSU is an Antech 430w , so I doubt it's my PSU cause all the rails are solid. I think maybe I just need to do some more burning in , because before I was failing prime at 11.5x200 @ 1.8v core for a while and no problems. Eh , I'm rambling , I think I'll just do some more burning in and hope for the best.

Also , no I don't believe they are the same as the barton (desktop) that is , because I could never hit 3200 speeds at 1.6v , when on my old Barton(2800) I was doing the same speeds but at 1.8vcore.

Edit : The heat is way way fine , just do the fact I'm on WC'in.

Originally posted by Swat

Also , no I don't believe they are the same as the barton (desktop) that is , because I could never hit 3200 speeds at 1.6v , when on my old Barton(2800) I was doing the same speeds but at 1.8vcore.

The mobiles are the same as the desktop Bartons. The only "difference", is that the mobiles are picked for their ability to run the higher speeds at lower voltages. This is why they are such good overclockers.

Not to be rude to any of the previous posters. Though my main question ventured off into how fantastic these Mobiles are. Lets get back to my original question.

I can post run any stress test I want and pass with flying colors. My main problem is the second I overclock to 2.4ghz , no matter the vcore my whole comp locks up. I'm starting to wonder if I should ditch Prime for good and use all the other programs out there for stability testing.

This is the 3rd CPU that will lock up past 2.4ghz , but posts way higher and runs programs and other tests flawless.

Originally posted by Swat
Not to be rude to any of the previous posters. Though my main question ventured off into how fantastic these Mobiles are. Lets get back to my original question.

I can post run any stress test I want and pass with flying colors. My main problem is the second I overclock to 2.4ghz , no matter the vcore my whole comp locks up. I'm starting to wonder if I should ditch Prime for good and use all the other programs out there for stability testing.

This is the 3rd CPU that will lock up past 2.4ghz , but posts way higher and runs programs and other tests flawless.

Maybe you're just reaching your maximum overclock... many times a chip will post at much higher speeds than it can actually run stable at, or even run for a while until you stress it. That's exactly the point of stress-testing your CPU.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Maybe you're just reaching your maximum overclock... many times a chip will post at much higher speeds than it can actually run stable at, or even run for a while until you stress it. That's exactly the point of stress-testing your CPU.

Yea , I've been able to post at 2.7ghz. I think stress testing is doing the job , I'm able to run prime at things I couldn't before.

Originally posted by Benny Blanco
Is "CPU Interface" enabled? If so, maybe you should disable it (for stability).

I don't know why... but when I disable that, I can't reach the bus speeds that I can with it enabled.

Have you ever taken off/replaced the northbridge heatsink? Many people (including myself) found such a small amount of thermal goop there, I'm surprised it passes quality control. Could help your stability?

I remember when I first got the board, it wouldn't even post at 210x10 when I disabled CPU Interface. Now I can disable it and run it up pretty good (235x10 memtest stable but not primestable). I keep it modest though, as you can see from my sig.

Back