wifi card burning out?

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
SO this is really strange... about a year back, i had a Dlink wifi N pciE card, downloading an avg of 500-700 gigs a month.... it burnt out, and started downloading at 10 KB/s, driver reinstalls, different PCIe slot, etc, nada... fine, RMA the card, sell it, buy a different one.

well, it happened again, this time with a TPlink card.....

is this normal for cards to burn out from too much downloading?

starting to debate whether its worth buying that ASUS wifi card that comes with a heatsink :p

Maybe the tubes that carry the bits are corroded?

I'd put my money on a power supply issue. Bad power can cause electrical components to fail earlier than expected.

No it's definitely not normal for Wi-Fi cards to burn out so easy. I second a power issue, which is usually the root to a lot of hardware causes with regards to failing early. However, being the heavy bandwidth user that I am, I noticed downloading a ton of data a month over Wi-Fi would quite often causes my Wi-Fi to go out or have some weird issues. Usually a uninstall/reinstall of the drivers, restarting the PC, or restarting the Wireless Router would fix the problems. It was very odd and only happened when I was downloading a lot of data over my Wi-Fi connection. So there is room to question the Wireless Router you're using. After installing DD-WRT (third-party firmware) it fixed a lot of those weird Wi-Fi issues.

Back