Wifi card for desktops?

D-link Action

you can also look for the USB dongle, if you prefer a quick fix to wireless access.

What kind of set up are you looking for exactly? Also, you're network is 802.11g right? or are you going the N route?

D-link Action

you can also look for the USB dongle, if you prefer a quick fix to wireless access.

What kind of set up are you looking for exactly? Also, you're network is 802.11g right? or are you going the N route?

I am building a new system, so far:

Intel Q6600
ATI 4850
Power Supply: OCZ700GXSSLI

I'm still undecided about the RAM and MB.

I'm gonna OC a bit so I don't need the ultimate best components, nor the crappiest ones. I guess yeah it's 802.11g.. What the N route?:confused:

802.11g was the wireless G networking, now the fad of wireless N routers are coming out. The data rate is 2 streams as opposed to one, so it rests at 300 Mbit/s and the range is increased as well, I believe 70 m...all this is still subject to have bugs and what not, and the final announcement should be around Dec 2009 for consumers to be using the technology regularly.

I thought you may jump the gun and buy the Pre-N routers, and go high-fi.

Any card will more or less work, you know what they say, if it aint broke, dont 'fix' it. If you get good range with those cards, just keep using them...you can always save money when building a new system :D

802.11g was the wireless G networking, now the fad of wireless N routers are coming out. The data rate is 2 streams as opposed to one, so it rests at 300 Mbit/s and the range is increased as well, I believe 70 m...all this is still subject to have bugs and what not, and the final announcement should be around Dec 2009 for consumers to be using the technology regularly.

I thought you may jump the gun and buy the Pre-N routers, and go high-fi.

Any card will more or less work, you know what they say, if it aint broke, dont 'fix' it. If you get good range with those cards, just keep using them...you can always save money when building a new system :D

My router is about 2 years old so I'm pretty sure it's G not N then. I don't have any wireless card now, I don't have a PC (I was using my laptop for the past 2 years), so I NEED to get one of those wireless cards.. :D

I've always had really good results with the LINKSYS WMP54G wireless cards. I've had 3 of them on different computers I've built and they never gave me a problem. worked just fine with 64bit OS as well.

For ram and motherboard, what are you going for? (do you want to do Crossfire in the future? How much overclocking do you want to do?) For the Q6600, if you are overclockng a lot, you might want something like DDR2-1000 or 1066 ram, however, you can probably get away with a good overclock and DDR2-800 ram.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R is a good affordable motherboard, so is the asus P5Q.

I've always had really good results with the LINKSYS WMP54G wireless cards. I've had 3 of them on different computers I've built and they never gave me a problem. worked just fine with 64bit OS as well.

For ram and motherboard, what are you going for? (do you want to do Crossfire in the future? How much overclocking do you want to do?) For the Q6600, if you are overclockng a lot, you might want something like DDR2-1000 or 1066 ram, however, you can probably get away with a good overclock and DDR2-800 ram.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R is a good affordable motherboard, so is the asus P5Q.

I'm still not sure about the motherboard and ram. I plan to OC the Q6600 a bit, but not till its last ultimate possible frequency. I've read that it can get above 3.4Ghz on air, so getting it to 3.0~3.1 would be more than enough for me.
Will 800 RAM be enough or should I get the 1000 or 1066 ones?

for 3.0-3.2 you should be just fine with 800 ram.

Anything over that you might want to look for something higher :)

I've got a Linksys WMP54G on a system here as well and it's always worked perfectly well... Just use Window's own configuration and avoid the Linksys config app, it's a piece of sh*t... Just download the drivers and point Windows towards them when asked for 'em, then configure it thru Window's wireless thing. Works with WPA2 I think if that matters to ya...

I have had mixed luck with Edimax cheapies. One worked perfectly and the next one was junk. I had better luck with Linksys but they didn't have as good range with them.

Back