Wifi Issues (works at one place, not the other)

Toytown

Gawd
Sorry for the strange topic, not really sure what to call it. Anyways here goes

My brothers laptop used to work fine using his wireless Netgear WGR614v6 router, however for about the last 2 months it has stopped working correctly. If i try to browse to a webpage then it 99% of the time it will not come up, once in a blue moon the site will show, but then any other browsing will simply result in a timeout. If i telnet to port 80 for that webpage i can see the data is being returned correctly every time. If i use access to NNTP on port 119, then i can see speeds of over 10Mbit/sec over the internet. So his network is actually working and DNS also is always getting resolved, i can tell this from a cmd prompt.

If i use the wired port on the laptop to the same Netgear router, everything works perfect. If i take it to my place with a Linksys Pre N router, everything works perfect.

So this tends to rule out the laptop or a configuration issue causing the issue. However all the other wireless devices at his house work perfectly over the wifi, so this tends to rule out the router as well.

Ive been trouble shooting this for almost a week and cant find a solution, im going to format the laptop (after imaging it) to see if its some kind of config issue, before i do does anybody else have any ideas.

Its a fully patched XP3 machine with an intel wifi (probably centrino package). Ive also tried using the netsh command to reset the network, but no luck :(.

You try changing channels on the wifi? Could be congested, seen similar problems before caused by wireless interference.

Went through pretty much every channel on the wifi with the same results. I also tried just going with one standard B/G, with zero encryption and all different kinds of other settings....all gave the same results.

I also did the ipconfig, but again the traffic to the DHCP works perfect so this is not a problem, neither is the IP it is assigned blocked or anything via some rules.

Also tried a factory reset of the router and tried with it at its defaults and with it reconfigured, still nothing.

Time for me to reinstall the OS on the laptop, im really hoping it fixes it, or im completely stuck. Although part of me doesnt think there is a problem with it (otherwise the OS wouldnt work perfect at my house)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Reinstall did nothing, same problem on win7 with the latest drivers for everything.

Going to try tommorow on another WGR614v6 router to see if its some kind of incompatibility. If it works ok there, then we will probably just replace the router.

Back