Wii S-Video Cable?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone figured out how to make your own s-video cable for the wii? Or does anyone know where I can get a wii s-video cable for "cheap"? I already bought a component cable(about $45 after tax and shipping so I don't want to spend much more), s-video would be nice for playing on SDTVs that lack component. I've found that everyone in my family loves the damn Wii, but I'm the only one with a HDTV. I just can't stand composite.

hmm, the react cable on bestbuy's site is only $20... Anyone know if its any good?

Devnull said:
hmm, the react cable on bestbuy's site is only $20... Anyone know if its any good?

They have them for the wii at bestbuy, do you know if they are in store, so far gamestop seems to have them for $30 but not in the stores near me

Devnull said:

I purchased the react S-video from bestbuy, and it works great. Quality seems quite high, and the image quality is great. No complains here, and the price is decent.

Liekomg said:
I purchased the react S-video from bestbuy, and it works great. Quality seems quite high, and the image quality is great. No complains here, and the price is decent.

Is the quality better than the composite? As in, noticeably? My SDTV doesn't have component inputs, but it does have S-Video and I was looking for these cables a month ago but couldn't find them. I've seen Gamecube comparison shots, but I haven't heard anything about the Wii.

quadnad said:
Is the quality better than the composite? As in, noticeably? My SDTV doesn't have component inputs, but it does have S-Video and I was looking for these cables a month ago but couldn't find them. I've seen Gamecube comparison shots, but I haven't heard anything about the Wii.

I'm sure you'll notice a difference. Composite is awful. I still remember the difference between composite and s-video on the big screen SDTV. People would always ask why it looks so much better than their TV :p

I just feel bad about spending any more on wii accessories at this point

Liekomg said

I purchased the react S-video from bestbuy, and it works great. Quality seems quite high, and the image quality is great. No complains here, and the price is decent

I agree totally.
I purchased the React S video cables from Best Buy for $20 also and there is a great improvement over composite.

quadnad said:
I've seen Gamecube comparison shots, but I haven't heard anything about the Wii.

Can you link me to the GC comparison shots? Im interested.

aznpxdd said:
Can you link me to the GC comparison shots? Im interested.

One of the members here (sorry, I forgot your handle!) emailed me two shots of the Mario Sunshine loading screen. The first is composite, and the second is S-Video. I've got the massive, non-resized versions as well which show off many more of the imperfections of composite, but I thought that these much smaller ones would be fine too. The main difference is color accuracy and also clarity of the writing (things like the M on Mario's cap, the definition of the large letters on the boxes, and the eyes of the sunshines above the boxes), but the enhanced clarity is only obvious in the much larger screenshots. For composite, it's a bit like you put on the wrong glasses which are not only a different prescription but also tinted.
Composite:
mariocomposite.JPG

S-Video:
mariosvideo.JPG

holy crap that quite the difference!! i didnt realize that it made such a big difference, for the longest time i though composite and s-video were more or less the same.... :eek:

So at this point I'd like to know whether the "react" cable from Best Buy is actually a quality cable, otherwise I think it'd be well into 2007 before we see an official Nintendo one (one that isn't an import from Japan).

quadnad said:
So at this point I'd like to know whether the "react" cable from Best Buy is actually a quality cable, otherwise I think it'd be well into 2007 before we see an official Nintendo one (one that isn't an import from Japan).

I am also interested to know... So far one person has said it looks like good quality to them.

quadnad said:
It only takes a week to get them, get over it and order the component cables from Nintendo.

MrBojangels said:
It only takes a week to get them, get over it and order the component cables from Nintendo.

get over it? everyone has an attitude...

I'm just wondering so I can pay less for them and get them now.

MrBojangels said:

component? this thread is regarding s-video. I already got the component cable from nintendo, like many others.

Lets see, Liekomg and myself [ Bloefield ] have said the React S video cables made a significant improvement over composite cables.
They are $20 and readily available at BestBuy.

There was another thread re: Component cables and React S video cables with actual users of said cables [React ] reporting positive feedback.
1+1=2 here, plus previous thread= a go for the s-video cables

I am talking about S-Video not component, ah what's left to know?
If this comes off with an attitude sorry but it seems like your original question was answered and for $20 just do it.

Bloefield said:
If this comes off with an attitude sorry but it seems like your original question was answered and for $20 just do it.

I think I will! Thanks for the info.

quadnad said

I think I will! Thanks for the info.

Your welcome. :)
My son and his gf noticed the difference immediately in Wii, Raman Raving Rabbids and I hadn't told them about the s video cables yet.
They both said something to the effect of " wow, this looks really good today for some reason"
:cool:

Bloefield said:
My son and his gf noticed the difference immediately in Wii, Raman Raving Rabbids and I hadn't told them about the s video cables yet.
They both said something to the effect of " wow, this looks really good today for some reason"
:cool:

wow, that is certainly a testament to the quality enhancement. I look forward to using them.

S-video's under-rated. In terms of picture quality it's a HUGE jump over composites.
I guess it can't do 480p and above, but the quality for it doing normal 480i's on par with components. If you don't have a component input on your TV, s-video's a dandy 2nd place.

Yeah, S-Video basically has the same image quality of component, only without the benefit of Progressive scan, or HD resolutions. But the actual color fidelity and sharpness are pretty much identical between the two. Always get the best cable your TV supports. Either will be a good step up from Composite, unless your TV really sucks and you can't tell the difference. On my Sony Trinitron CRT, the difference is quite pronounced. Small, fuzzy letters suddenly become readable. Blurry textures become sharp. The internet channel goes from being nearly unusable to actually being able to read something.

Back