WiiConnect24

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't heard anyone mention this here, and I'm wondering if I was the only one that understood this little revelation. In fact, if it's used properly, it could be the biggest innovation in online console gaming (well, at least the community portion of it) since XBox Live.

A wiki entry, to summarize what was revealed in the press conference:
WiiConnect24 is a feature of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for Nintendo's Wii that was announced at E³ 2006.[1] It will enable some of the system's features to work while the console is on stand-by; for example, a friend might be able to visit another player's town and leave that player messages in Animal Crossing without him being present. The service will also be used to distribute content such as software patches and updated game content while not in use. At the E3 2006 Nintendo Conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata described Wii as "the system that never sleeps."

WiiConnect24 will also allow new content and patches to be pushed to the system automatically, allowing for games to be different and have added features the next time they are played. It is hoped that WiiConnect24 will encourage developers into creating new content for the system.

To have a game update on me, offer me new (free!!!! thank you very much) content dynamically while I sleep, and to be able to visit my friends' online worlds while their system is off and leave them objects or messages... effectively with the whole console off is freaking cool! I especially love the idea of pushing out new content without having the system powered up. As Iwata put it, "the system is new every day".

It certainly bodes well for community type games, like Animal Crossing. It's a pain, for example, to call my girlfriend, have her turn on her DS, get into Animal Crossing, open her gates, and wait for me to show up if I just want to send her a piece of furniture that she'd like, when I now have the ability to visit her town whether she's playing or not. I dunno, maybe it will not end up being used to its potential, but if it is I think it could provide online gaming with some new directions. All I'd have to do is join it to my wireless network and have it do what it does whenever it needs to, silently without using up much power at all. And did I mention it's all free? :D

Wow sounds pretty cool, but I can't help but wonder when sony is going to copy it. j/k

Seriously though I remember hearing about it and not giving it much thought. It can potentially be very cool, but as for it being the biggest innovation in console gaming, I'm not so sure about that. A nice feature yes, but those are some strong words. We'll have to see what nintendo does with it.

I was honestly just wonder why you hadn't made a thread about this. lmao

On-topic: To be honest, I won't use it. Stupid bandwidth limitations. ;)

Lucky J said:
Wow sounds pretty cool, but I can't help but wonder when sony is going to copy it. j/k

Seriously though I remember hearing about it and not giving it much thought. It can potentially be very cool, but as for it being the biggest innovation in console gaming, I'm not so sure about that. A nice feature yes, but those are some strong words. We'll have to see what nintendo does with it.

It's nowhere near the biggest innovation in console gaming. It's not even the biggest innovation in online console gaming (that title belongs to XBox Live). That said, it may be the biggest thing to happen to online console gaming since XBL, if it's used to its potential. As far as bandwidth limitations go, we're not talking 1GB XBL-marketplace sized demos. We're talking a few megs here and there.

Palindrome I have no idea how it works exactly, but however it does I'm sure you can turn it off if you choose. But you'd be blocking out whatever benefits it will be providing you.

palindrome said:
What if i don't want it to download something? Will it?

It'll probably have forced patches and updates, but this is already done with XBL. It'll be a lot less annoying than XBL because it can do it in the background while the system is "off." For example I wanted to play PGR3 on my 360 the other day. Fire up the game and I get the message "There is a new patch avaliable for this game, do you want to install it now?" It gives me a yes/no option; but if I choose no, I can't use XBL with the game until I do install it. I wanted to get in a quick game while I was waiting for something; but instead I had to wait for it to download and install. :mad: WiiConnect24 fixes that problem.

So you'll be able to not download stuff; but you won't be able to play online until you do.

"A few megs here and there" is the thought I tell myself now. I'm within one gig of my cap with ten days to go. Besides, I have no way of controlling the dataflow if I'm sleeping. :p

Well, keep this in mind... the console comes with 512mb of flash storage (with SD slots and USB drive capability, but the default storage is 512mb). You're not going to see the same level of patching on Nintendo's console as you do with the others, simply because most first party Nintendo games are generally devoid of bugs, and there is less default space to work with (and therefore harder to put towards your cap). This feature will be used more for dynamic content or community features as mentioned with Animal Crossing as one good example.

Very good point. Who would've thought I'd be thankful for small storage.

steviep said:
Well, keep this in mind... the console comes with 512mb of flash storage (with SD slots and USB drive capability, but the default storage is 512mb). You're not going to see the same level of patching on Nintendo's console as you do with the others, simply because most first party Nintendo games are generally devoid of bugs, and there is less default space to work with (and therefore harder to put towards your cap). This feature will be used more for dynamic content or community features as mentioned with Animal Crossing as one good example.

Probably means anything larger will become optional content should you have the space for it.

Btw how does the x360 core system handle patchs if it doesn't have a hdd?

Nuzzles said:
"A few megs here and there" is the thought I tell myself now. I'm within one gig of my cap with ten days to go. Besides, I have no way of controlling the dataflow if I'm sleeping. :p

WTF, you have a data cap?? What kind of crappy service do you have?

But then again I'm spoiled by my connections. Load balanced 4M/3M fibre line with guaranteed bandwidth and a 5M/512KB residential cable line. :D

brom42 said:
WTF, you have a data cap?? What kind of crappy service do you have?

But then again I'm spoiled by my connections. Load balanced 4M/3M fibre line with guaranteed bandwidth and a 5M/512KB residential cable line. :D

40GB cap, 256kB/sdown 128kB/s up, all for the LOW LOW price of $59.95 per month!

Mind you, NZ dollar, you do the math.

Darakian said:
Probably means anything larger will become optional content should you have the space for it.

Btw how does the x360 core system handle patchs if it doesn't have a hdd?

It doesn't. Patches (or downloads of any kind) are unavailable to Core system users. Not having an HD by default is MS' worst mistake this time around. Yes, larger content on WiiConnect of course will be optional. I think they'll use it more for community-based usage rather than game patches.

I wonder if there will be a download manager to schedule times to avoid DLing. It would really suck to have to unplug my Wii everytime I want to play an fps on my PC, etc.

Why would you do that? The console won't be eating a lot of overhead, if any, unless it's downloading. With 512mb of memory, it won't be downloading much :p

I am impressed.

I may be leaning more towards buying on eof thse in conjunction with the 360. I doubt I will get a PS3, unless theyd rop the price dramatically.

I like the idea that the system is constantly updating, as well as serving as a placeholder for messages. I'm wondering how the online playability of some games will be.

From what I read, it will be similar to the DS (networking software built into each game, using friend codes) but obviously there will be some central aspect and interface to it all if there is anything to be learned from WiiConnect24. I really hope they use friend codes accross all games rather than 1 code per game, despite more calls for online safety from parent groups and politicians lately. Don't give into the pressure Nintendo! :p

steviep said:
It doesn't. Patches (or downloads of any kind) are unavailable to Core system users. Not having an HD by default is MS' worst mistake this time around. Yes, larger content on WiiConnect of course will be optional. I think they'll use it more for community-based usage rather than game patches.

I thought the patches got saved to the memory card if you didnt have the hard drive

Naldo said:
I thought the patches got saved to the memory card if you didnt have the hard drive

That's correct. Core users patch to memory cards.

Navy

There are some patches that are >100mb... how does it save to a memory card??

i still tihnk the fact that they're gonna use the same friend colde system as the DS is lame though..

steviep said:
II especially love the idea of pushing out new content without having the system powered up. As Iwata put it, "the system is new every day".
I like the idea, too, but it's not all that revolutionary. I'm frankly surprised that Microsoft didn't implement a similar system. Then again, I could see this sort of thing being potentially problematic for people who rent lots of games - you'd end up getting tons of downloads for games you don't even have access to anymore. You'd hope the implementation could handle that, but we'll see.

As for the leaving messages in-game stuff, again, good idea, but not so mindblowing. All it requires is some simple server support.

IMHO, all of this is somewhat outweighed by the idiotic "friends code" system.

-Erwos

erwos said:
I like the idea, too, but it's not all that revolutionary. I'm frankly surprised that Microsoft didn't implement a similar system. Then again, I could see this sort of thing being potentially problematic for people who rent lots of games - you'd end up getting tons of downloads for games you don't even have access to anymore. You'd hope the implementation could handle that, but we'll see.

As for the leaving messages in-game stuff, again, good idea, but not so mindblowing. All it requires is some simple server support.

IMHO, all of this is somewhat outweighed by the idiotic "friends code" system.

-Erwos

i'm sure there will be a way to turn offthe automatic downloads for certain games and stuff like that...

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i'm sure there will be a way to turn offthe automatic downloads for certain games and stuff like that...
Im putting my money on that, even in windows you can disable automatic updates ;)

*runs to sheck SD card prices :D

[T5K]thrasher said:
Im putting my money on that, even in windows you can disable automatic updates ;)

*runs to sheck SD card prices :D

you might want to check external harddrive prices as well..

rumor has it.. that you will be able to connect external harddrives via the USB port the wii has...

Both Nintendos AND Sonys online services combined won't even half Xbox Live.

Nintendos announced online is seriously, a joke. Do you even know how Friend Codes work ?

theNoid said:

Nintendos announced online is seriously, a joke. Do you even know how Friend Codes work ?
Honestly how hard is it to shoot some one your code over email or IM? or even on a [f]orum

Nintendo's system is meant to protect kids online. People lament the 13 year-olds on xbl yelling racial slurs, but then attack Nintendo's system for being too limited.

theNoid said:

yea i know how the freidn code system works... i have a DS (the DS uses the friend code system)

it's not horrible.. but i personally don't like it.. it's meant to protect people from strangers and stuff....

also.. you don't really NEED a friend code to get new friends.. for example.. Metroid prime hunters.. after you play people.. you can add them to your rivals list so taht you can play them again in the future...

so essentially.. the downside is really just that you have to re-enter you're friends codes for each game...

like i said.. it's not that bad.. but i'm nto completly happy with it... you'll still be able to play online... but.. the i'd liek to add that i feel disconnect when i use the nintendo wifi system.. i don't feel like it's a community becasue your interactio iwth others is soooo restricted...

Slartibartfast said:
Nintendo's system is meant to protect kids online. People lament the 13 year-olds on xbl yelling racial slurs, but then attack Nintendo's system for being too limited.

I understand what they're trying to do, but this argument simply doesn't hold up for me.

Parental controls are really not hard to implement, and for us adults that don't want to deal with the 13 year old racists, we don't need to use voice chat or even participate in the community functions that put us in contact with strangers at all.

For me, the ability to find a game any time I want night or day with strangers on the internet happens to be one of the biggest attraction to video games today. If I want to play with only people I know, I'll have them over or go to their place which is a better way to play games with friends anyway.

It should be about choice.

Khantrah said:
I understand what they're trying to do, but this argument simply doesn't hold up for me.

Parental controls are really not hard to implement, and for us adults that don't want to deal with the 13 year old racists, we don't need to use voice chat or even participate in the community functions that put us in contact with strangers at all.

For me, the ability to find a game any time I want night or day with strangers on the internet happens to be one of the biggest attraction to video games today. If I want to play with only people I know, I'll have them over or go to their place which is a better way to play games with friends anyway.

It should be about choice.

I agree, it should be about choice. However, Nintedo recognizes that a lot of people buy N stuff for their kids, and honestly while parental controls would be simple for you or I, I think that most people in their 30's and 40's are baffled by most technology (unless they specifically work on computers). Parental controls would be a great idea, but they would need to be very, very simple, and I think N would need to advertise those features heavily to make people aware of them. Joe Schmoe Father is just going to look at the box, think "ok this is what they want" and never give it a second thought.

With the DS you can play with total strangers as much as you want, (except in Animal Crossing), but you don't always have a way of directly communicating with them.

I think I missed it - is the Wii going to force you to have friend codes (a la animal crossing ds) or will it have the option to play with strangers (a la mariokart ds)?

What can you upgrade with 512MB of memory? The colors of the apples?

CopyCat said:
What can you upgrade with 512MB of memory? The colors of the apples?
I think that would only take a few kb.. 512mb is plenty for minor tweaks to games. and for the vitural console im going to grab a few 1-2gb SD cards. That should hold me over fairly well. ;)

steviep said:
There are some patches that are >100mb... how does it save to a memory card??

There are addon packs >100mb. I don't believe there are any game patches that size...

From Xbox.com:
Title updates consist of improvements to specific Xbox 360 games. When a title update is available for a game you're playing, Xbox Live stores the update right on your Xbox 360 Hard Drive or Xbox 360 Memory Unit (at least one of which is required for Xbox Live play).

I wouldn't do it that way (HD ftw), but it's certainly possible.

Navy

Slartibartfast said:
I agree, it should be about choice. However, Nintedo recognizes that a lot of people buy N stuff for their kids, and honestly while parental controls would be simple for you or I, I think that most people in their 30's and 40's are baffled by most technology (unless they specifically work on computers). Parental controls would be a great idea, but they would need to be very, very simple, and I think N would need to advertise those features heavily to make people aware of them. Joe Schmoe Father is just going to look at the box, think "ok this is what they want" and never give it a second thought.

With the DS you can play with total strangers as much as you want, (except in Animal Crossing), but you don't always have a way of directly communicating with them.

I think I missed it - is the Wii going to force you to have friend codes (a la animal crossing ds) or will it have the option to play with strangers (a la mariokart ds)?

TheNoid, how much do you pay for XBox Live again? And you've already played with both Nintendo's updated Wii service (that hasn't been shown), and Sony's service (that hasn't been finalized)? Please share your thoughts on them, as I'm sure many of us in the gaming community would like that.

Personally, I'll take a free service over a pay service any day of the week, especially when it still allows the same central functionality, minus the extra frills that don't really impact actual gaming. I simply hate paying more than once for any game, MMORPGs included.

As for the Wii's online system, it will be more robust than the DSes, and it will offer centralization in the base interface, but all games will have their own customized feature sets, if I remember reading correctly. I imagine that most games will employ a system similar to Metroid from here on out, however. You can play random people, chat with friends that you've added via the code, or add people to your rivals list to play in future. That satisfies parents and still allows for a decent amount of online capability. Hell, with all the stats tracking that Metroid does I'm surprised its still free.

Slarti's exactly right about parental controls, though. My mother still doesn't know how to program the VCR (and it's freaking easy as hell), and I couldn't see people like them being able to successfully work parental controls on a game console. Most parents, unless they are tech-savvy, wouldn't employ any kind of restriction to their kids online environments. Hence the oodles and oodles of racial slurs and f bombs on XBox Live. Yes, you can block these people out manually, but Nintendo's taken the opposite stance on that. Instead of giving you unfiltered access to the entire network and having you pick and choose who bugs you to filter out, you have to know the people you want to have full network and feature access to.

I can't say that I think the friend code system is great, but it's not horrible either. I just hope that perhaps they employ one friend code for all software, which can easily be done, but it defeats their whole "kid-safe" mentality.

Slartibartfast said:

It is true that many parents either won't have the technical prowess to fiddle with complicated settings or simply won't care, but dumbing down the online service for all users because of this isn't the only solution.

For instance, they could ship the system already "kid safe" by having the settings tuned to what would effectively make for a DS Wi-Fi experience. But then adult users could turn this off giving them more options and opportunities for online interaction.

They could make 2 preset configurations that automatically changed parental controls to what would be appropriate for kids and appropriate for adults. Perhaps the first time the system is turned on, a screen pops up asking "Should this system be made safe for children of all ages?", which would result in one of the generic preset configurations being set-up. Of course a more advanced user would be able to customize the experience at any time.

These are just some examples, there's many ways this problem could be approached other than gutting out some of the best features of online play for everyone to make it G rated.

It is still somewhat unclear at this point, but this interview states that the Wii's online service will work the same as the DS's W-Fi.

Perrin Kaplan of Nintendo's PR team just conducted an interview with Joystiq that said "we still haven't finalized online plans for the Wii" so I wouldn't put too much faith into online plans being finalized. I'm sure it will be similar to the DS' in simplicity, but I'm also quite sure that it will be more robust since it's based on a console that has a lot of connectivity features built in.

Oh, and about your multiple settings for kids and adults.... ever visit a porn site? ("If you are 18 years of age or older, please click enter to continue"). A simple setting will not work as a deterrent.

If they are going to be using friend codes, I would like to see a manager for them. Being able to create a profile for a friend and list codes under it to help keep it organized.

[T5K]thrasher said:
I think that would only take a few kb.. 512mb is plenty for minor tweaks to games. and for the vitural console im going to grab a few 1-2gb SD cards. That should hold me over fairly well. ;)
hehe I know...just playin=)

Darakian said:
If they are going to be using friend codes, I would like to see a manager for them. Being able to create a profile for a friend and list codes under it to help keep it organized.

That's a good idea, actually. Care to e-mail Nintendo in case they're too busy making Zelda? :D
The Wii has a lot more power than the DS, plus a centralized main console interface that's always on the 'net, so I don't think that would be too much to ask for.

Back