Wiimote almost as perfect as mouse for FPS

I think it's a positive comment from a console-specific branch of IGN...I'd take it with a grain of salt (Or perhaps a few tablespoons full).

It'll probably feel like your at the arcade when you play an FPS on the Wii

Man I can't wait for this thing. When they put a kiosk in ebgames, you wont see me for a few weeks.

JustinSane said:
Man I can't wait for this thing. When they put a kiosk in ebgames, you wont see me for a few weeks.

Yeah, speaking of which, I wonder how they are going to work that out? In all the previous console kiosks, the controller is anchored into the machine. Not going to work with the Wii...

PWMK2 said:
Yeah, speaking of which, I wonder how they are going to work that out? In all the previous console kiosks, the controller is anchored into the machine. Not going to work with the Wii...
gloveboxfi5.jpg

Having watched many many gameplay videos I can't believe this. The controller seems really twitchy even for selecting fairly large icons on the screen. Take a look at the latest videos on wii.com (http://wii.com/jp/movies/miichannel/) showing the user interface and avatar selection. Unless those people had shaky hands or something...

[Edit - http://wii.com/jp/movies/wiimenu/ - Looks a lot more stable here, maybe there's a setting to reduce sensitivity]

Psychotext said:
Having watched many many gameplay videos I can't believe this. The controller seems really twitchy even for selecting fairly large icons on the screen. Take a look at the latest videos on wii.com (http://wii.com/jp/movies/miichannel/) showing the user interface and avatar selection. Unless those people had shaky hands or something...

[Edit - http://wii.com/jp/movies/wiimenu/ - Looks a lot more stable here, maybe there's a setting to reduce sensitivity]
well ide imagine u tune it a bit for how far away you are.

It's interesting...don't really care for the Metroid implementation though, with it moving the aiming reticule and only moving the screen if you move over to the edge.

if it is as sensitive as a mouse... then it could turn out to be really great... bit over 2 more months to try it out ourselvse :D

I remember some virtual reality game at Six Flag Magic Mountain many years ago.
It consisted of a helmet with built-in video display, and a single handed, tethered controller.
You would look around your surroundings by moving your head, but you would aim your weapon with the controller. Movement was controlled by a thumb switch on top of the controller.

Is the Wii going to be something like this? Minus the helmet/goggles of course.

l177l3d said:
if it is as sensitive as a mouse... then it could turn out to be really great... bit over 2 more months to try it out ourselvse :D

Hell yea boy. Though October we should have kiosks in stores. Can you smell it?

Kevlarman said:
I remember some virtual reality game at Six Flag Magic Mountain many years ago.
It consisted of a helmet with built-in video display, and a single handed, tethered controller.
You would look around your surroundings by moving your head, but you would aim your weapon with the controller. Movement was controlled by a thumb switch on top of the controller.

Is the Wii going to be something like this? Minus the helmet/goggles of course.

Kinda. To move the camera left, right, up, and down, you just aim to that direction on the screen and it will move the camera. The joystick will be in your other hand on the nunchuk.

Psychotext said:

Yeah I noticed the twitchiness too with the Wii channel interfaces. If you check out Zelda: Twilight Princess videos, though, it looks really smooth. Like you said, maybe a sensitivity setting, or I've also heard that being really close to the sensor bar will screw with the movement.

Edit: Also fluorescent lights mess up the movement, I think? The jumpy demos I saw were from onstage at the press event. Probably not the best environment for it...

Daggah said:
It's interesting...don't really care for the Metroid implementation though, with it moving the aiming reticule and only moving the screen if you move over to the edge.

I believe you can pick whether you want the game to act like that or whether it works like PC FPSes where the crosshair stays in the center and the field of vision moves with the controller's movement.

K600 said:
I think it's a positive comment from a console-specific branch of IGN...I'd take it with a grain of salt (Or perhaps a few tablespoons full).

Exactly.

Plus I played the Wii at E306 and its NOT like a mouse. Don't get your hopes up.

Edit. do this.. stand up.. hold your mouse out in front of you and aim it at the screen.. then move... call me in 2 minutes when your arm is falling off. Or imagine arcade rail shooters... how long can you hold the gun up with one hand (no support from the other) and play ? 10 minutes ? with resting at EVERY chance possible.

The potential is there, but the Wiimote is not what everyone is hoping for for FPS. Its tiresome+++

dude, stfu. I think everybody on these forums knows that you said you used the wii controller before. Wow, for 5 min? Is that really enough to evaluate it? You are the only person that I've read that had negative things to say about it... Plus you weren't even playing with a final version... can I poke some more holes?

theNoid said:
Exactly.

Plus I played the Wii at E306 and its NOT like a mouse. Don't get your hopes up.

Edit. do this.. stand up.. hold your mouse out in front of you and aim it at the screen.. then move... call me in 2 minutes when your arm is falling off. Or imagine arcade rail shooters... how long can you hold the gun up with one hand (no support from the other) and play ? 10 minutes ? with resting at EVERY chance possible.

The potential is there, but the Wiimote is not what everyone is hoping for for FPS. Its tiresome+++
You dont have to stand up and hold your arm out to use the controller. You can rest your arm on your lap and use it.

But I don't think it will be as sensitive as a mouse. I believe Kyle made a comment during the E3 buzz about it not being better than a mouse for FPS. This was a while ago though, so I am not sure of the exact comment.

theNoid said:
Exactly.

Did you even read the article before you posted?? it's obvious you didn't

the article cleary talks about how at E3 the control of metroid wasn't as great as a mouse..

so they are reporting that retro studios has fixed that problem.. and IGN is glad to say.. that it really controls almost as good as mouse..

read before you post.. :rolleyes:

and i quote directly from the article

"However, we do have some spectacular news to report too, Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case."

next time, read (and think) before you post....
:rolleyes:

but he does pose a question which im sure we have all considered at one time or another... the wiimote is supposed to take the motions of your wrist and arm... movements with the arm is generally more broad and will probably translate better (as demonstrated in the videos on their official website), but how will wrist movements translate?

no matter how you play an fps game on the wii, chances are you will need to keep your arm up to maintain aim... ull probably be able to keep your arm up for 30 minutes with short breaks inbetween, but itll slowly wear you down... can u keep it up there for an hr? or do u plan to take a long break every 30 minutes or so to rejuvenate your arm so that u can continue to play for another 30 mins before becoming exhausted again?

o well, i guess its not bad if u rest your elbow and just move with your forearm... but even then, you can still tire out, its probably gonna pose to be a problem for a few... no doubt easy to overcome for most of us... but... i dont see my parents or grandparents swinging their arms around, playing a wii :rolleyes:

another thing is, if ur playing tennis (doubles) with 3 others... how much space are u gonna need for 4 people to be standing there waving their arms around like a tennis swing? that may be somewhat annoying if u dont have a 50"+ tv...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
dude, stfu. I think everybody on these forums knows that you said you used the wii controller before. Wow, for 5 min? Is that really enough to evaluate it? You are the only person that I've read that had negative things to say about it... Plus you weren't even playing with a final version... can I poke some more holes?

Does insulting me make you feel better about your purchase ? The fact is, I've played the Wii. I don't hate it, but it certainly IS NOT what all you are dreaming for. I plan on buying a Wii one day.. One day after SMG, SSBB are out and there is a price drop.

It doesn't surprise me when people get upset that 'ZOMG ONE PERSON ON THE INTERWEB DOESN'T THINK THE WII IS GOD' ... you're all expecting the next best thing side to slided bread. It just isn't... can't you just accept it ? Its only my opinion.

My opinion is just as valid as yours (even though you havn't touched the console), Deal.

saber07 said:
You dont have to stand up and hold your arm out to use the controller. You can rest your arm on your lap and use it..

I know, but tell me how you plan to aim in a FPS with the Wiimote resting on your lap ? I think most people havn't put too much thought into this before getting all hyped up to spend money. :p

theNoid said:
I know, but tell me how you plan to aim in a FPS with the Wiimote resting on your lap ? I think most people havn't put too much thought into this before getting all hyped up to spend money. :p

Obviously, resting the controller in your lap and completely extending your arms are both extremes. Anyone play light gun games at the arcades? BTW, nobody's arms fell off after playing Duck Hunt.

I didn't purchase anything yet. It's just annoying as hell when you post the same damn thing in every thread containing any information about the wii, when nobody really gives a rat's ass. And if you want everybody to value your oppionion so much, prove that you used the controller. Deal.

Actually I've had the same concern about Nintendo's gimmicky controller, it just so happens that theNoid (at least is claiming to) has experience with the thing.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
and i quote directly from the article

"However, we do have some spectacular news to report too, Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case."

next time, read (and think) before you post....
:rolleyes:

All the article said was that Metroid's control doesn't suck anymore. The main problem with Red Steel was also with the controls. I think it will be a while before they use the Wiimote to it's fullest potential in a FPS.

aznpxdd said:
All the article said was that Metroid's control doesn't suck anymore. The main problem with Red Steel was also with the controls. I think it will be a while before they use the Wiimote to it's fullest potential in a FPS.

no.. it said.. it's almost as perfect as a mouse...

but whatever.. i'll leave it at that..

and the bottom line is.. this only proves that how well you use the wiimote on an FPS is not limited on hardware.. but only limited on software..

so if you get a shitty controled FPS game.. it's the developers fault (for being lazy with the code. or whatever..) and not the hardware...

hopefully the fps games will have a sensitivity bar so we can adjust it to our liking. but that's up to the developer i guess

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
no.. it said.. it's almost as perfect as a mouse...

but whatever.. i'll leave it at that..

What if it actually simulates a mouse? If you've travelled with a laptop and an optical mouse you might have tried to used your leg as a mousing surface. I'm sure the Wii controller is sensitive enough to track mouse-like movements across your leg.

Plus you could run it along a plane extending off your leg, which you couldn't do with an optical mouse since it would run out of surface to track off of. If you're using an optical mouse you could try it right now and see that the main hindrance is that the surface area of your leg is irregular and not as large as you are probably used to.

Finally, since the controller senses in 3 dimensions it can also tell when you lift it to re-center it.

Pitt the Elder said:
What if it actually simulates a mouse? If you've travelled with a laptop and an optical mouse you might have tried to used your leg as a mousing surface. I'm sure the Wii controller is sensitive enough to track mouse-like movements across your leg.

Plus you could run it along a plane extending off your leg, which you couldn't do with an optical mouse since it would run out of surface to track off of. If you're using an optical mouse you could try it right now and see that the main hindrance is that the surface area of your leg is irregular and not as large as you are probably used to.

Finally, since the controller senses in 3 dimensions it can also tell when you lift it to re-center it.

huh?

i think you're diving into those statements too deep

theNoid said:

I've got the impression that you rest your elbow on your lap, while your forearm stays in the air somewhat. You're still free to move the Wii control with your wrist realtively freely, and it's a lot less stressful on your arm that holding the entire thing up.

If you're on a couch, you could also rest your entire arm, up to your wrist on the couch side, having your wrist hanging over the edge. You could do the same thing with your knee if you wanted to.

Well, I'll be renting the console before I buy it. Even if that rent is a bit over priced. ($40 a night for a 360 with one game. Erm, that'd be about $20 USD. May not seem that much, but you can rent out a 5+ PS2 games for that price. :p) Now if that wasn't overnight, and even for just two days, I wouldn't consider it over priced.

Back