Will a 5770 be enough for me?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Hi guys,

I game at 1920x1080 and am currently using a 9800gt 512mb. The card has been great in the past but it struggles to hold 30fps+ in more modern titles such as ME2, dead space, DA:O, etc. I should note that these games are essentially ran at max settings. I could turn down the pretty effects, but that just seems silly to me! :p

I am considering an upgrade to a 5770 1gb.

I am no expert and don't usually browse/compare video card data, but I imagine that since the 9800gt has a higher memory bus than the 5770 that the difference between the two at 1920x1080 wouldn't exactly be mind blowing. Is this accurate?

So I ask the slew of experts here: is it worthwhile to move from a 9800gt to a 5770?

Should I hold off and save up some coin for a 5830?

I don't really have a 'budget', but I know I want something that is relatively cheap with decent performance - I will not be gaming much in the fall due to school.

Appreciate it~

System is a x4 965 w/ 4gb 1600 if that matters.

No a 5770 is far better than a 9800. Its about the equivalant of a 260.

IMO, you should just go for a 5850.

No a 5770 is far better than a 9800. Its about the equivalant of a 260.

IMO, you should just go for a 5850.

I don't think I can muster up the courage to drop the funds on a 5850. I do, after all, only game for maybe 2-3 hours a week while school is going on.

This summer I will of course be gaming as a second full time job.. but since it is this summer only I cannot really justify going high end :)

Thanks for the input though.. going to look up reviews on the 260/5770 in relation to a 9800gt

I don't think I can muster up the courage to drop the funds on a 5850. I do, after all, only game for maybe 2-3 hours a week while school is going on.

This summer I will of course be gaming as a second full time job.. but since it is this summer only I cannot really justify going high end :)

Thanks for the input though.. going to look up reviews on the 260/5770 in relation to a 9800gt

Yes, 5770 is a good step up from a 9800GT. Keep in mind, most folks are having great overclocking results on their 5770's. Keep an eye out, there are some deals I have seen where you can pick one up for $130 shipped. Not a bad price considering.

5770 is a great value and a solid improvement over the 9800. Not mind blowing but certainly a solid improvement for the $$$.

if funds are tight you can also look into getting a used card. XFX cards in particular have double lifetime warranties. a used 4890 is perfect at that res, a 4870 1gb and GTX260 is not bad either. if your tight on funds don't turn your noise up at used cards. Put a WTB post in the FS/FT forum and see what people will offer you. you might be surprised.

a 5850 of course would max out anything at your res, but a 5770 would do quite well in 90% of the games. in others you would have to lower settings or give up some AA. (pretty much only in the newer or super high end games) bang for the buck the 5770 is almost impossible to beat. The TG deal for the dual 9800GTX+ (GTSWTFRENAMOUS) was actually better but its gone now.

this just showed up in the FS forum

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1521879

4890 for 130 shipped

this just showed up in the FS forum

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1521879

4890 for 130 shipped

Thanks for all the replies guys

I don't mind a used card and have thought about the 4890, the only thing holding me back is that my pc is in a silverstone gd04.. meaning space and cooling is a bit rough.

The smaller, the better, and the cooler, the better.

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

and dammit seafoam you said you would never mention that!:D

I have basically the same setup, accept a 1920x1200 monitor. My 5770 holds about 65FPS on DA:O max detail and AA at full res. At 1080P, its enough to max just about any game accept Crysis/Warhead, Metro 2033, and a couple others. Still plays them at high though.

5770 would be the best bang for the bucks, another consideration is the 5830. These run cooler and DX11 > 4890. But the 4890 has great performance.

if youve got the room and power supply, go for a 5770 now and CF later on, you wont be sorry.

theres a ton on sale @ newegg now, but i cant really recommend any (because i havnt been keeping up on the info). Ive got the rev1 version of the sapphire vapor-x and its been doing awesome. The only thing about the new ones is that voltage is locked, although my friend just got his and his performance has been pretty good, u can still OC core and mem clocks in afterburner

Ewiz has a $10-$15 off coupon every other week, that can get you the Gig 5770 with after market cooler for $135-$145. Thats the one I have, and I know a couple others with it. Each one has done over 1000 core on stock volts and cooling stable. You cant adjust the voltage with software, but the hard mod isnt to hard if 1ghz core isnt enough for you ;)

Mine does 1035/5200 over an hour stress testing, and a couple hours of gaming. Fan at 70% which is still very quiet, loaded at 63C. 60% cant be heard at 4 feet away over case fans and hit 70c.

I don't mind a used card and have thought about the 4890, the only thing holding me back is that my pc is in a silverstone gd04.. meaning space and cooling is a bit rough.

The 4890 should fit and run ok in the GD04, we designed it to cope with high powered graphics cards.

The 4890 should fit and run ok in the GD04, we designed it to cope with high powered graphics cards.

Straight from the horses mouth. Can't get better customer service than this. :cool:

+1 for the 5770. I went from a 8800GS to the XFX 5770 ($112 AR and BCB from TD FTW!) and it was a very nice improvement! I think it's worth getting a 57XX or 58XX series card for the power savings alone, these things are very energy efficient.

I would say keep the 9800gt and wait until the 5850 is like 150.

9800gt can still handle most games and doing that small of a jump will require a new card quite quickly.

->

Straight from the horses mouth. Can't get better customer service than this. :cool:

Agreed, awesome

I would say keep the 9800gt and wait until the 5850 is like 150.

9800gt can still handle most games and doing that small of a jump will require a new card quite quickly.

I am considering this route.. I'm just so up in the air at the moment.

Last edited:
+1 for the 5770. I went from a 8800GS to the XFX 5770 ($112 AR and BCB from TD FTW!) and it was a very nice improvement! I think it's worth getting a 57XX or 58XX series card for the power savings alone, these things are very energy efficient.

DUDE Thats a steal! i wouldve CF'd mine if i knew about that one!

I paid $15 for mine, good improvement from the 8800 GTS 512, and I saved about 30 watts by removing the 8800GTS and 7600gs that was driving my 3rd monitor

Back