Will a GTX 1070 get bottle-necked by..

V3|!UM

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,
Im running an OC'd (4,3ghz) I7-2600k and 16gb of ram. My video card fried and a need a replacement for my GTX 580 OC.
I am thinking about either a GTX 1060 6gb or a GTX 1070. Would either card get bottle-necked by my system?

Hey Guys,
Im running an OC'd (4,3ghz) I7-2600k and 16gb of ram. My video card fried and a need a replacement for my GTX 580 OC.
I am thinking about either a GTX 1060 6gb or a GTX 1070. Would either card get bottle-necked by my system?

Largely depends on the game. Well optimized games will find around 10% gain but shitty Ubisoft games/CPU-heavy games will gain a lot more.

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz vs 6700k 4.5ghz in games

I'd say you are good with either GPU, but next time you think about upgrading GPU I would recommend a CPU upgrade first. It is a fine CPU for now, though

thanks guys, i've been milking the hell out of this setup lol. an SSD upgrade had given it new legs a few years back..

unlikely to be bottlenecked unless running at anything less than 1080p resolution. it's remarkable how good SB are still after all these years. even with the pice 2.0, its still won't be much of issue unless running SLI or pcie based storage.

Get the 1070 is my recommendation, if my FX 9590 can drive the 1070 I am sure SB I7 2600K will do just fine.

Coffee Lake actually uses Cannon Lake cores. Tho Coffee Lake is 14nm+.

You know thats my thread (Cannon/Coffee) that you personally have posted in.

I'll reiterate my point, I doubt he'll end up with a Cannonlake chip.

See: Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy - 3rd gen and later i7s are a step above 1st and 2nd gen.

If your CPU usage is at 100% then it is the bottleneck.
Sigh, that's not how it works. He has 8 threads and games rarely use over 4 so he could be completely CPU limited even using just 50% of the CPU in most games. Hell in an older game like Fallout New Vegas he would be CPU limited even only using around 25 or 30% as that game only uses 2 cores and those 2 cores need to be extremely fast. Bottom line is looking at CPU usage is not the way to determine if the CPU is the ultimate limitation. Now of course if the CPU is at 100% then yes it is the limitation but again that's not really going to happen in any game if you are using a CPU with 8 threads.

I have an i5 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz and an overclocked GTX 1070. The only games in which I've seen CPU utilization reach 100% is Witcher 3 (only in Novigrad), and intermittently in Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Oh, also, Arma 3 - which is so CPU-dependent that I don't notice any FPS increase from my 1070 over my R9 280X.

Other than those, I haven' noticed a bottleneck from the GPU. If there is one, it's going to be pretty minor, except in the case of select games. Even in Witcher 3, Novigrad, the CPU only goes to 100% in some places, and even then, my FPS are about as good as non-bottlenecked systems with a 1070.

I posted a bunch of Afterburner graph pics in a thread somewhere, displaying my GPU and CPU utilization. I can't look for it right now, because the forums search is disabled.

CPU Utilization at <100% has nothing to do with it not being a bottleneck. A 22 core 2.7 Ghz intel chip will never have 100% utilization and will massively bottle neck a few titles.

It is completely false to say that a game is not bottlenecked if you dont see CPU @ 100%. Also 2500k, FX 9590 should bottleneck a 1070 but i think no one would care as they will get 60fps stable in everything anway.

If a 2500k gets 60 fps while a 6600k gets 80 with the same GPU, that means there is a big CPU bottleneck. And that happens in most modern AAA games.

For OP, 2500k + 1070 is surely better than 6700k + 1060.

I'm getting solid scaling to a second 980Ti with an OCed 2500K despite all the haters and doomsayers, so... yeah, go for it. 1070 minimum. 1080 would obviously be even better. 4.3Ghz is a little low, though -- bet you can push it a bit farther without too much trouble.

I could def push it further but it ends up running hotter than I am comfortable with. Myu water cooler leaked out and i just slapped an air cooler on it..

Your rig is fine. Slap that 1070 in it and diaper up cuz a little turd is gonna pop out when you start gaming and see how much better it is over that 580 :D

Hey Guys,

You are good to go, bottlenecking the GPU by your CPU is slim. Maybe in a few more years when 1440p is mainstream?

Back