Will a GTX 260 even WORK with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe?

mathesar

[H]ard|Gawd
So my PC is getting a bit outdated and I decided to upgrade the videocard for now.. I currently have a 7800GTX 512mb and was considering getting a GTX 260, the problem is I read these newer cards are PCIE 2.0 spec and my current motherboard is PCIE 1.0a ,will the GTX 260 even work?

Motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.

Thanks.

PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with older PCI-E motherboards, but make sure that it's going to be getting a full 16x "dose" of bandwidth...running a PCI-E 2.0 card on 8x using an older board might start to hinder it's performance, as PCI-E 1.0 16x is equal to 8x in the new 2.0 standard.

My current motherboard runs at x16 PCIE speed in single card mode and x8 with SLI, so I should be OK then, Thanks for the replies!

Your motherboard will be fine with a GTX260. As far as I could find using google, the 8800GT is the only card that had issues with PCI-E 1.0a motherboards.

We aren't maxing out PCE-E 1.0 yet, 2.0 is pointless atm. By the time we are where we need PCI-E2.0, we will have 5.0 out :p. Do not worry about a thing, as long as it is x16 you will be just fine.

I have an A8N-SLI deluxe. I also have a 260 gtx. Seems to be working ok..

2.0 isn't pointless yet if you're doing SLI/xFire and have slots downgraded to 8x because 8x PCIe1.0 will bottleneck on a few games already, but 8x 2.0 is as fast as 16x 1.0.

Back